11/2017: The Aventinus Eisbock Online Tasting

The tasting time has officially started, and I thought to keep things more clean, we should start a thread for this instead of have all the discussion going on in the “let’s make online tasting” thread.

Heading to the Weisses Brauhaus later tonight, I am psyched!

3 Likes

There we go!

No Aventinus before trying the Eisbock, so this one is quite the intense start. Over the last year or so, it grew on me, so I’m psyched to write a thorough rating.

Bottled September 6, 2017. At the brewpub.
Hazy brown color with creamy off-white head. Aroma is figs, raisins, chocolate, sweet overripe banana, cloves, vanilla, estery, a touch strawberry. Taste is raisins, sweet bananas, cloves, vanilla, phenolic, a bit nutty, wood. Silky mouthfeel with soft but high carbonation. Seems a bit oxidized, already at this young age.
8-5-8-4-17

0.1 better than my previous rating, which was 8-5-8-4-16, but I think a better bottle could score even higher. I’m pretty sure I’ve had better bottles of this beer this year, but I never rerated.

2 Likes

At Weisses Brauhaus with @SinH4 Not totally enamoured today: Seems a bit harsh wooden and oxidized and less rounded to me, boozy plum notes, agressive cloves, mineral yeast.
6-4-8-3-16

1 Like

Hey guys, I dig this thread, but today is the 26th, not the 17th.

Not American dates. They’re monthly, it’s in MM/YY format. i.e. November 2017 :wink:

I’ll be having my bottle in about 2 hours or so

1 Like

Indeed. I thought that someone will misinterpret it, but since it is a monthly event, I reckoned it would be clear.

1 Like

ISO: ISO 8601 Date Standards

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone write a month/year like that. 11/2017 or Nov. 2017 would both be a lot clearer.

okok, edited :stuck_out_tongue:
(you could have edited it yourself, though)

2 Likes

In all seriousness I wish Ratebeer would write dates like that for beer added and date we rated etc. it would make things so much clearer and and easier for everyone, at the moment it only caters to Americans which makes it feel very BeerAdvocatey :frowning:

1 Like

Okay. First food, then Eisbock. I got the feeling that 12% might make me tipsy if I dont eat something first. :relieved:

1 Like

Haha, I didn’t want to be presumptuous!

Now having a hipster NEIPA: Schneider Hopfenweisse was juicy before most of you punks were born! (Yells at cloud)

2 Likes

1 Like

Ok. Stuffed with pizza now, ready for dessert.
I’m in, finally. Bottle thanks to @SinH4, much obliged Stefan!

I really should have gotten another glass. Don’t crucify me, you guys.

8/3/8/4/16. Small, pearly tan-brown head on a cloudy, dark brown body. Leather, plum, artificial strawberry aroma, some wheat, licorice, light nail polish remover, pear, faint banana, some fermentation aroma. Medium to high sweetness, without being too sticky, a bit tart. Creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied, pearly but soft carbonation. Although it’s rather sweet, it almost feels light and drinks like juice.

Bro, that NEIPA is totally dank, like…ripe banana. Dude.

Been working my ass of today, so totally forgot about this event… Glad to join now, Prost!

2 Likes

BB 20210310… // Thomas

1 Like

You put my pouring skills to shame. Cheers to you!

1 Like

Uploading a screenshot of the photo you took instead of the photo :rofl:

3 Likes

Does anybody else have an itch for driving Scandinavian cars through wast mountain scenery right now?

1 Like