11/2017: The Aventinus Eisbock Online Tasting

Only the second time I’ve had this and it’s just as good as I remember it being the first time. Bottled 30-05-2017. Cloudy dark brown with a small beige head, good retention this time. Rich aroma of dark fruits, plum, fig, raisin, banana, slightly bready, cloves. Taste is much the same, the dark fruits really shine here, definite plum and raisin notes, fig, liquorice, sweet banana, wheat, it is noticeably boozy with a nice warming in the throat but is still so moreish. Full bodied with a lovely smooth silky mouthfeel, soft carbonation.
Enjoyed this even more than the first time so increasing my score a bit. 8-4-8-4-17.

Eisbock is still a very unfamiliar style to me, this and Kulmbacher being the only 2 I’ve ever tried. Does anyone have any recommendations for others that are as good or perhaps better than this? Any poor examples I should avoid? It’s not a style I actively seek out but it’s nice to keep one around for a special occasion.

Tried this 4 times at 4 different occasions the last 4 months so I will sit this one out. But I like the idea. Nice to read some different ideas about the same beer, although most in here (so far) seems to agree that it’s pretty good :slight_smile:

Better late than never. Cheers!

Just grabbed a bottle from the bar 50 metres down the road … lucky me. bottled 11.07.17 - 07:22

murky deepest ruby colour with a frothy beige head. aroma of condensed milk, vanilla icing and rotten banana, with some light notes of cinnamon, brown sugar, caramelized wheat and bran flakes. flavour is more of the same, heavy toffee and clove, with a light caramel sweetness, some roasted wheat and lots of earth in the rather ethanolic cheesecake finish. heavy-bodied with fizzy carbonation.

A bit too heavy for me, but I’m definitely digging the sweet spiciness.

4 - 8 - 8 - 2 - 16 → 3.8, -1 from my previous rating 9 years ago.

I had a bottle of this a couple years ago that was nothing short of a concentrated diacetyl bomb, so I’m pleasantly surprised.

Cheers everyone!

man, the height - the height;)

Nope not after having a 12 % ish brew - and busy checking out the latest Walking Dead :skull: part

Haha, fairest of all points.

Didn’t see this in time to get a “fresh” bottle. So I’ll share my rate, with the caveat that I now immensely dig oxidized ales like Gale’s Prize Old, so I think a current rating would go at 3.9 or 4.0.

Dark malty aroma. Sort of a cloudy prune juice appearance with a white head that wasn’t much and quickly wasn’t anything.
Something of a plummy start, rather sweet darkish fruit. Medium mouthfeel. Something like a Thomas Hardys Ale or one of the Gales ales.

3.6 ~ you
saturday, april 7, 2007

2 Likes

To @LazyPyro: I am being honest with you, Kulmbacher is the best Lager Eisbock out there, and this one is probably the best commercially available Eisbock you’re ever gonna have. Schneider’s is #1 Eisbock for a reason.

Beautiful! This is the kind of effort we need. Who cares if you had the beer again, we need a mixed discussion about how it used to taste and how it tasted today together!

So I’m not the only one who only got a small, pearly and quickly fading head? Hurray! :sweat_smile:

well, he didn’t say if it was tap or bottle nor, if bottle, if poured by himself or not.

If it did not have a stable foam, then you are an amateur at pouring Weizen… or someone (probably the person who served it) messed up. In @herrklemann’s particular case it was probably the Austrian post company.

1 Like

Oh go home, you’re drunk.

1 Like

I might be slightly drunk, but I’ve poured ~5000 Weizens in my days. Just sayin.

2 Likes

What’s the bottling date if bbf is 28/09/2020?

@SinH4

oof, I almost missed this.

I’m 90% sure Aventinus Eisbock has a ~5 year BB date, I can confirm next time I buy a fresh one at a bottle shop.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s 5 years. Got info from untappd guys.