1970s Michelob

Just curious to know if anyone here actually drank Michelob in the 70s and can suggest anything today that is made with that extremely light taste with that crisp throat bite? I have searched around for similar Saaz hop beers, but really, the hardest part of this search is finding a modern beer lover who actually drank that Michelob in the 70s and not the reissued version around 2007.
Thanks!

I drank it starting about 1963. But as for something similar today? I’m missing precise memory on the past, and avoiding the “style” in the present. But best of luck!

May have been an all malt beer back in the day. Can’t imagine it being an all malt brew even in the 70s, possible though I guess. I drank plenty of it in the mid late 70s but the only memory of it for me was that slimy damn coating it left in my mouth. One of my all time most disliked beers! Strohs ranked right up there with it. Look for some all malt premium lagers is the best advice I can give you. Good luck!

Nice ABstroturf.

That was my to-go beer in college (early 2000s of course)

I know it isn’t the point but the Michelob brand came back as a craft beer competitor for AB in the early/mid 90s. That was when all of a sudden craft/micro beer appeared on ABs radar. So, you had Michelob Porter, Pale, even a doppelbock I believe. By the mid 2000s Michelob was serving two functions, A) some small, traditional, craft competition but mostly B) Michelob Ultra for a super-light category beer.

No idea what it tasted like in the 70s, before I was born. But your memory of it is likely biased.

Olympia. Tap at the brewery in 1963. Beat the pants off Michelob.

1 Like

Gawd you’re an old fart.
I was 12 then and yes, drinking beer. Lol.

1 Like

I had Michelob back then. It bowed down to some of the other super premiums back then.
Erlanger, Andeker, Herman Joseph’s.

Fair comparison? Aren’t those “German style”? Did Michelob have that pretension? Michelob draft was the best beer in the hotel basement bar all during summer '63, but I recall crisp/clean rather than hoppy.

1 Like

Well, hoppy beers were few and far between back then so I reckon that I was literally born a hop head.

For me, way back, Olympia was hoppy. Made it stand out from the other stuff.

1 Like

1 Like

But I’m also a fan of the malt. My history proves that so all is good.

1 Like

Michelob was probably the 1st beer I ever bought a sixpack of in 1979 (at freshly 15)
I thought it was good but if we felt fancy we bought the dark shit so the ladies knew we were hardcore.

2 Likes

Strohs

1 Like

Cant talk of the 70s but Had MIchelob in Scotland in the 80s and in Atlanta in the 90s…it was just a ball hair above Budweiser really…BUT i did like MIchelob Dark…rhat was an OK Dark lager

2 Likes

Looking at the ratings everyone hated it…it was fine enough shooting pool at the truck stop bar…before walking over to the tittie bar
Good times

2 Likes

When I went over to the tittie bar, they had Rainier Dry and that was a kick ass beer for…1990 something.

2 Likes