2018 Beer Goals + 2017 Year-in-Review

1. Hit 5k - which would allow me to miss one or the other festival and tune down my ticking pace a bit.
  • 6.4k and counting. No tuning down at all, though…
  1. Finish my ongoing Schlenkerla Grand Slam, i.e. get all their seasonals from the Holzfass within one year. I started with Kräusen in August, and only miss Fastenbier. Maybe I can do a double cycle?
  • I missed Urbock - it was worth it, though (I visited other Franconian breweries on the weekend I meant to do Urbock…)
  1. Make it to 100 De Molen beers, or maybe any brewery with 100 ticks
  • done.
  1. step my game up to 1000 German beers and 500 Belgian beers.
  • done.
  1. more US states
  • done.
  1. Finally get an Ice Cider!
  • 14 and counting :wink:

goals for 2018: 8k overall, Schlenkerla Grand Slam, 10 of each style, and hitting 100 countries :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m new to this, so I just have 2018 goals.

1. Get as close to 1000 as possible - min. 850.
You guys are going to laugh at this, but I’m a slow rater. If I do get 500 until New Years, and do get around as many new ticks as this year, passing 850 is absolutely doable. 1000 might depend on point (2).
2. Visit at least two festivals.
Because it’ll help with (1) and is wicked fun.
3. Have at least 1 tick of each beer style + half of the Sake styles.
4. Get up to 50 countries.
This means I’ll also continue my tour of asian pale lagers whenever I find one, as well as actively seek out new country ticks of quality beer.

5 Likes
  1. Get to 7k rates
    Done
  2. Get 100 rates in 20 states
    Done
  3. Visit some new states and get place rates in each of them
    Visited Texas and Idaho, plus I added a couple In Germany. Overall a success.
  4. Break the top 50 place raters list
    Getting closer, but still have a lot of work to do to get there. I will keep this one for next year.
  5. Break the top 25 mead raters list
    Done
  6. Visit more Ohio and WV breweries
    This was a success. Visited many ib both states.
  7. Never pay for a packaged IPA or other Pale Ale style (draft is allowed)
    I did this once by accident. So I will try again next year.
  8. Tick a Polotmavy (ISO!)
    Done!
  9. Break into the Belgiephile list
    Done

2018 Goals

1. Visit more Ohio and West Virginia breweries.
  2. increase H Index in states, countries, and styles.
  3. join the top 50 place raters.
  4. reach 100 rates in more states
  5. reach 70 country rates
2 Likes

As for 2018 Goals

Get 10 of every non-beer style repeat goal

Get to 90 countries I’d really like 100 but not really feasible.

Get to 100 regions

Not really 2018 goal but rate beer from 1250 unique breweries before I hit 5k total rates.

2 Likes

Fully enjoy as many great beers as possible.

2 Likes

2017 Goals

1. Finish states (only need Arkansas)
    Completed.

2. Finish “other” styles now that I finished all beer styles (only need a Sake-Honjozo and Sake-Taru)
    Still need both of these. Didn’t try too hard to get them though.

3. Get a country tick for Africa
    Completed.

4. Rate all Nebraska Breweries (11 to go currently +3 more slated to open in 2017)
    Got mostly complete then a few more opened up under the radar. 9 to go + 4 more opening soon-ish

5. Get to 2,500 rates (About 660 rates needed)
    Still need 94 more. Won’t happen and don’t plan to try. Will likely end up about 60 short.

2018 Goals

1. Hit 3,000 rates. (Will need approximately 550. Slowed down a bit lately so this is realistic.)

2. Rate all Nebraska Breweries. Again, with new ones opening and distance so far apart, I currently plan to have to try 13 new ones and some would be difficult due to location and hours but possible.

3. Hit 500 different breweries. Need 31 more. Very possible if I want to put in some effort.

4. Hit 50 countries. Need 6 more. A bit trickier and would take some traveling or trading.

5. Finish styles. Still need Sake-Taru and Sake-Honjozo. Again, possible if I do a trade or travel.

6. Hit 500 Nebraska rates. Only 33 to go. Super easy. Might have before the end of 2017 haha.

7. Meet at least one new Ratebeerian.

2 Likes

These are the goals + baselines: after “//” half year check. /// almost year check

1. Taking one white month - January vs beer, cider, mead, sake… (If failure- add 1 day per beer, will happen since I’m going skiing with the 12th of Jan) // Done! ///

2. 10 new countries, currently 151! // 166 and a few planned, thx hard digging RB’s friends. /// At 169 so home safe!
    2b. Remain with the top 25, currently at 23. // Place 14! /// Currently no 15.

3. 40 new Swedish breweries, currently 226! // 258 at the moment so will be reached!///283 - almost 60
    3b. stay within top 10 raters of Swe brewers. // 4th place for breweries and 4th for beers. /// 3th for both

4. Drink less crappy beers. Currently at 3,21 // 3,23 - might be hard to adjust vs trying beers that will never recive high average vs few ratings /// 3,24

5. 7,5 k beers. -at 6649 now // Done, 2 days ago ///
    8133 / OK

6. Remain within the top 10 raters in Sweden. And reach 160 overall // at place 8, and at place 169 - (the last one will be hard to reach /// 154;)

7. Remain within the Stouties Group! Currently at pos 49.// at place 42 and this year
    it’s Porterfestival in November. /// 39 currently

Yeah, all goals fulfilled, not all were hard to overcome… 2018 will be back hopefully in an new tread;)

2 Likes

2018 Beer Goals

1. Get to 170 unique Countries. I’m currently at 150 with 5 new ones coming and two more very likely.
  2. Get to 20K beers.
  3. Get to 2,500 Unique Breweries.
  4. Get Traditional Ale, Baltic Porter and Amber Lager over 100 rates.
  5. Get six new styles over 80 rates.
  6. Get nine new styles over 60 rates.
  7. Get nine new styles over 50 rates.
2 Likes

Thought I did some 2017 resolutions, but guess I skipped last year. Here’s some I just cooked up:

1. 3 more states at 100+ ratings
  2. 5 more states at 50+ ratings
  3. Have no more than 450 beers with ratings greater than or equal to 1,000 that I haven’t tried
  4. Have my 2nd most rated beer style be at least half of my 1st (currently 4 beers shy)
  5. H-index by style of 26
  6. Qualify for the erstwhile Ultimate New Englander award.
  7. Visit the 3 (!) new breweries scheduled to open up in my town and neighboring town in 2018

I feel like #1 and #7 should be easy, and despite seeming easy, the rest will be toss-ups.

2 Likes

2017 Goals:

1. 10 of each style. May have to visit Belgium, unless Mikkeller releases 2 more Faros. Also may need to trade some kristall weizens and polotmavys.
    Did the trip to Belgium, but still didn’t get to 10 of each style - still missing 4 polotmavys. Didn’t set it out as a goal, but will probably hit 1 of each non beery style this year thanks to @jinroh.

2. Keep ticking every brewery/cidery in Estonia (excluding the homebrews that have been entered to DB and not deleted)
    Ongoing struggle

3. 100 quad ratings. Should be easy to do, only bit more than 10 to go.
    Was easy to do, now have ~130 quad ratings.

4. Tick more countries/counties.
    Good progress in this one, RBESG helped a lot.

5. Tick less, but drink more interesting stuff.
    I rated a lot more, so this was complete failure…

2018 Goals:

1. Travl more, meet more ratebeerians.
  2. Finish the 10 of each style (travl to Prague?)
  3. Get 10 more styles over 20 rates
  4. Rate a beer from every US state
  5. Establish all this by doing less rates
2 Likes

First time resolver:

1. Get to 100 state rates for Washington, New Hampshire, Missouri. Reach goals would include DC, Texas, and Delaware.

2. Get five more countries (don’t know how I will do this). Cayman Islands only one I know I will visit.

3. Visit each NYC brewery that I have not yet (missing Bronx, Kills Boro, Fifth Hammer, Circa, Randolph’s, and maybe a few others).

4. Drink more than 24 new beers per beer festival… seems like a missed opportunity.

5. Get past 100 for Sweden… don’t think any others are likely this year unless I get a Russian haul.

2 Likes

Randolph’s? Brewery?

1 Like

Yes sir

1 Like

Hmm, I must have missed it, thanks! By the way I just had a long lunch at
Circa, after learning about its existence here, yesterday and I liked the
place :beer:

1 Like

Man, just go to two festivals in Europe and you’ll knock all of these out of the park. Most European festivals these days seem to have at least a couple of Swedish breweries present (and the same goes for Spain, for that matter), and Bakunin is often flying the Russian flag at a lot of the bigger festivals. And all you need to do for the first one is find the tables with RB folks kicking around: the Belgian and Dutch RB groups both brought some far-off country ticks to Borefts this past year, which was a nice, unexpected win for the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

the Uganda tick came from Germany, though :stuck_out_tongue:

And not sure about where Malawi came from…

and @mansquito, I can send you Liechtenstein if worst comes to worst :wink:

1 Like

2018 OBJECTIVES:

1. Reach 200 total ratings for 6 countries (Spain, USA, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and England). Actually the count is 196 for Spain, 158 for DK, 157 for USA, 155 for NL, 142 for GER and 103 for ENG. I can do Spain whenever I want, DK and USA should be doable at MBCC 18 (May), Netherlands might be doable with a couple of trades with the dutch crew, Germany might be doable also with a couple of trades and my cellar, England will be difficult but a travel to Machester Beer Festival in January must provide me with ±70 english ticks.

2. Reach 50 Portuguese Breweries and 100 portuguese beers Let´s see…but it will be difficult reach 50 breweries. Currently at 33 breweries and 68 beers.

3. Going to more beer venues and festivals Maybe going to RBESG…

4. Rate Gibraltar and Isle of ManOr any other Tax heaven :grin::grin:

5. Don´t drink Mikkeller beer :grin::grin: It will be very difficult…going to MBCC and other festivals and don´t drink Mikkeller…

3 Likes

“Hit 10k & slow down a bit - given my current tempo, hitting just 10k & not + will mean a slow down.”

I am currently at 11422 – so I managed 10k but the slowing down thing really failed.

2018:

Hit 13.500 / Travl to 4 new European countries (I did 4 new ones this year)

2 Likes

So far have only been to one European featival (MBCC 2017), and I am probably not going to Europe this year, to the best of my knowledge. Only hitting US festivals. Probably just going to ask anyone coming back from a new country to get me a beer as per usual.

1 Like

Next resolution: hit you up for Liechtenstein beer if necessary… hehe

African rates come from strange places. You can totally get Ethiopia and Eritrea is Washington DC. Also got Ghana there.

1 Like