2021 Beer52 and other subscription sites

Got conned into buying 24 beers for 26 Pounds by Beer52 and my son. Short life offer.

About 14 different beers, with plenty of duplications and one beer being given four times. 7 new rates though, so not all bad. Didn’t have to re-sign either.

Sorry no photo.

<*))))))><

1 Like

You’ve got plenty available for swaps then ?

Not really, I’ve a young relative and son who will drink them all!

Sorry Martin.

<*))))))><

Yes, I have a son like that, mops up all the beers I don’t need. He does bring along the occasional winner for me though.

1 Like

Yes, Ben and his girlfriend try and find new beers for me, usually failing I might add.

<*))))))><

@Martinsh, I tried to send you a beermail, the Robot turned up and wouldn’t let me!

I’ve copied it here:

Hi Martin,

*I will hopefully be in Stafford Friday evening 8th April. *

There is an RAF re-union Beer Call at 20:00 which I would like to attend (although the bus home is at 20:40, so will not be there very long).

I intend to arrive in Stafford at 18:15, but could be earlier if you will be around for a while and fancy a beer or two before going home.

I currently have Covid, but it should have cleared off by then.

<))))))><*

<*))))))><

That should be OK - but I usually finish quite a bit earlier than that on Friday afternoons !

I thought that would be the case Martin. I don’t want to drink too much before the re-union which is why I was planning on arriving at 18:15.

What time are you talking about leaving Stafford for home on a Friday?

<*))))))><

If I leave the office at 4pm, I can be in a pub by 4.30. And the Devils Bottleshop closes at 5pm.

Maybe others would like to join us ? Stafford has pubs run by Slaters, Titanic, Joules and Black Country (2) as well as 2 Wetherspoons (for festrival ticks) and a couple of craft beer bars.

1 Like

OK Martin, name the pub we should meet in at 16:30 and I will be there.

<*))))))><

Well, I was waiting to see if anyone would like to join us, but what the heck - lets make it the Shrewsbury Arms as usual.

PS I have a couple of cans for you.

1 Like

OK Martin, I will bring something in exchange that hopefully you’ll like.

See you on Friday at 16:00 in the Shrewsbury Arms.

<*))))))><

1630 you mean ?

Yes 16:30.

<*))))))><

This is the Scandinavian mixed box for April -

Campfire GRILLA Swedish Pale Ale
Amundsen Bryggeri Ink and Dagger IPA
Lervig Lervig Pils
Lervig Lervig Sweet Wheat
To Øl Nocturnal Stout
BRUS Orbital Movement DDH IPA
O/O Brewing Porter Porter
CoolHead Brew Rabbit Pants Black IPA
Popples SIPA
Dugges Shine Pale
To Øl Solar Flare Mango IPA
Aegir Bryggeri Sumbel Porter

The Campfire Grilla looks like a dodgy Beer52 ‘Special’, unless anyone knows more about it.
I’ve had 2 of the beers before, the BRUS is a To Ol CPH beer and there is one new brewery for me, Poppels (not the way that Beer52 spell it!). All in all an okay box, next month is Double Dutch.

3 Likes

Have to say I’m underwhelmed by this Scandinavia offering. Although I got what was advertised for 8 beers mixed case, I didn’t realy expect to have 3 beers from the same brewery (To Ol). And two of the beers weren’t brewed in Scandinavia at all. One is a collaboration with a Finnish brewer, the other appears to be a UK restaurant and a Swedish chef brewing together in the UK?? [ The Muppets wpould have had a field day with that combination !] Plus the bewery selection is rather pedestrian. My total rates for the whole of Scandinavia are only about 25, so it would have expected more than two new breweries out of eight.

Just hope “Double Dutch” is better.

2 Likes

I wonder if they’re keeping a running total of how many people write in to point out that Finland is not part of Scandinavia. :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve noticed that the Beer52 shop has just added a load of new beers including ones from Totenhopfen (Luxembourg), Varvar (Ukraine), Juguetes (Argentina), Dadiva (Brazil), Qujaq (Greenland), and a few other new breweries from around the world that I’ve not seen in the UK before.

Apparently this is part of a collaboration between Beer52, The Garden and 16 other breweries which will be in this month’s box.

I’m guessing that these will almost certainly turn out to be contract brewed for Beer52 by The Garden, and will therefore count as Lothian ticks (or at a pinch, Croatia). However, I wondered if anyone had got the box and could confirm for definite - if there’s a chance of a cheap and easy Greenland or Luxembourg tick then I’ll be ordering!

1 Like

I ordered the beers you mentioned, being over the moon about a new country, Greenland and countries with few ratings like Brazil, Argentina and Luxembourg. Received them today and gutted to find that they are collaborations with these rare breweries brewed in Croatia by Garden.There is also a South African brewed by Bird in Croatia. Someone has already pointed this out but the beer is still listed under South Africa. Also one from a New Zealand brewery that Fierce have produced. Do I feel conned-yes.Should I be aware of Beer52’s reputation-yes. Will the beers from Garden by decent-almost certain. But I still geel taken advantage off and will be recitent about ever buying grom Beer 52
again. Think I will stick to Beers Of Europe-at least they tell the truth.

5 Likes

John - to be fair I did say in my post that I suspected they’d be contract-brewed and not count for those countries.

Sorry you got screwed over by these - hope they still turn out to be decent beers. Thanks for letting the rest of us know and for taking one for the team.

Welcome back to the forums too - I see it’s been a while!

2 Likes