2022 Beer Goals + Year in Review

2021 goals:

1. Get at least one new country tick. This is going to be tough for me, given that I have pretty much no travel plans, and I exhausted commercially available beers in NYC.
  • Succeeded here and had one or two extra!
  1. Clear 100 rates of at least 2 of these states: Ohio, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, or Delaware. Wisconsin beers seem to be popping up a lot more, especially on the online sellers, so I should get a bunch of these almost by osmosis (in that my friends will toss be extras).
  • I cleared NH and DE. Wisconsin and Ohio are in spitting distance.
  1. Finally visit 18th Ward Brewing and Torch and Crown.
  • Success. I had a short visit to both.
  1. Organize more outdoor shares to help me get through my dangerously large stash of bottles.
  • I made some headway through the bottles to be split among multiple people and had emptied out a fee beer cubbies, but there is always more!
  1. Convince someone to bring me back beers from Ukraine. Definitely this is a possibility. I also assume I will get at least one Russian shipment.
  • turned out to be successful, but yielded no ticks… so failure. That said, hopefully soon this year I will succeed.
  1. Raise my daughter (currently 5-month old) to be a doppelbock girl.
  • Bocks continue their important presence in the house. I have a few eisbocks lying around for good measure.

2022:

1. Finally get Ohio, Wisconsin and North Carolina over 100.

2. Drink a beer at Bronx Brewery and the new Alewife location in NYC.

3. Convince people coming from Ukraine and Portugal to bring me beer.

4. Trade that Moldovan beer I have in the fridge to a Ratebeerian who needs it. Hint hint!

5. Go to Zwanze Day for the first time (somehow I always miss it).

6. Don’t have COVID.

7. Continue generally abstaining from pastry stouts (except the good ones like Kane) and slushy sours (except desired state ticks). I will not keep track, but beer drinking has been better when I stopped buying these beers (also, my wife hates them).

8 Likes

I wish I had eisbocks just lying around. I need one more to push style to 20 I’ll have to check if anyone makes one in my new neck of the woods

1 Like

2021 GOALS

1. SPAIN AND PORTUGAL Support local breweries. Hit Top-10 in Spain (need 300) and 1.000 spanish ratings (need 362). Hit Top-5 in Portugal (need 8) and 250 portuguese ratings (need 61).
  • Spain. Finished 2021 at 933 and Top-11. :negative_squared_cross_mark:

• Portugal. Finished 2021 at 258 and Top-5. :ballot_box_with_check:

1. Festivals and travelling . :pray: :pray: Festivals in 2021 seems a bit complicated but small events at least please!
  • Festivals and travelling. Managed a spanish Festival (Bilbao) and two european festivals (Portugal and MBCC Copenhagen). :ballot_box_with_check:
  1. Drink less macro I did it already on 2020 but I want to drink even less macro this year. 1 Beer = 1 tick :face_with_monocle:
  • Honestly, I think 2021 was even better than 2021. Maybe 20 or 30 local macro beer. :ballot_box_with_check:

2022 GOALS

1. Spain. Reach 1.250 spanish beers. Get to a couple of festivals (Barcelona and Madrid). Visit at least 7 spanish regions (Asturias, Valencia, Madrid, Catalonia, Castilla-León and Navarre if possible).

2. New Regions Visited Let´s see…but in terms of travel I want to visit a couple of cities in the UK (Bristol, Falmouth and Cardiff). In May 2022, will operate a new flight route from my town to Edinburgh, so maybe add Glasgow and Newcastle upon Tyne to the list…

3. 1.000 new ratings and 200 new breweries According to “My Year on beer”. 2021: 956 Ratings from 398 different breweries,199 of them new breweries. Increase this numbers to: 1.000 Ratings from at least 400 different Breweries (200 of them first time).

4. New US States 12 missing…Rhode Island and Delaware should be easily doable.

5. Get to more beer festivals

Cheers and Happy 2022!

7 Likes

I predict success. :wink:

1 Like

My goals are

1. Get to 100 rates in at least five more states. (Currently at 8)
  2. Get place rates in at least seven more states. (Currenly at 14)
  3. Hit the top 50 leaderboard for Connecticut, Washington DC, Nebraska, Rhode Island, (at a stretch) New Jersey and maybe one more depending on vacations.
  4. Get place rates of all NYC breweries. Believe I’m currently missing Transmitter, Daleview, Bridge & Tunnel, Non Sequitur, LIC Beer Project, Bronx, EBBS, Queens, Greenpoint, Brooklyn, more I’m forgetting and more that will open. This may be tougher than expected.
  5. 10 new country ticks and 15 new region ticks (currently at 74 and 205 respectively).
  6. Drink more barley wines than milkshake IPAs.
  7. Drink enough beer that no cans have to be stored in the food fridge and there are no bottles hidden in a box “cellaring” behind the couch.
  8. Secret goal that hopefully I will remember.
6 Likes

2022 Goals

1. rate 10 beers from all US States, coming for you Arkansas, New Mexico, and South Dakota.
  2. 80 country rates, may be difficult
  3. Edit over 9,000 places
4 Likes

Haven’t made any goals since early 2020, which were the following:

• Get at least five new country ticks. Failed.

• Visit a new former Soviet country and sample the local beers (only four left, excluding unrecognised states). Failed, for obvious reasons. Almost got to Kyrgyzstan in 2021, but was foiled by COVID.

• Attempt to get 100 Ireland or Lithuania rates. Picked up my 100th Lithuania rate in summer 2021. Could have done Ireland but here Irish beers are really expensive for some reason.

Goals for 2022:

1. Drink fewer beers - get my average down to 20 beers a month (currently at 40)
  2. Drink better quality stuff - my average has been stuck at 2.91 forever…
  3. Drink fewer Russian beers - I’m getting tired of the Russian beer scene… it just feels like endless NEIPAs, smoothie sours, and soup-flavoured goses
  4. Drink fewer pale lagers and more of everything else
  5. Get at least six more country ticks in an attempt to reach 140 countries
  6. Pick up at least 10 new regions

Most of these are do-able. Probably except the first one :slight_smile:

Getting the country (and possibly region) ticks will probably depend on travel (already got two African ticks waiting for me in the UK, as well as a potential Guernsey tick). 2021 was my worst year for new beer countries (+1 country) since joining the site, with 2020 not far behind (+3).

4 Likes

One of my goals is to find beer from South Dakota - the one state I have yet to add to my States Tried list.

2 Likes

I didn’t set any goals nor will I do so for 2022 but 2021 turned out to be kind of a succesful year anyway. For the first time ever I managed to get 1000 ratings in a year, despite all the COVID-misery. I only made it to one major festival during the year, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to top this in 2022.

I’m having an alc free month in January and surprisingly I’m thoroughly enjoying it with no major craving for beer.
As for the goals for the year: I’m not setting any out of fear that chasing stats would take away the joy of it all. But I do hope that I’ll make it to as many festivals as I can both with the brewery I work at and as a visitor, I hope I’ll get to do a couple of international collaborations too and meet lots of great people through beer. I have a 2 week trip planned for June to NYC (anyone interested in Hungarian beers in the City?) and Saint Martin for which I’m already beyond excited for and which surely will bring lots of new countries and regions to the table.

4 Likes

I am in NYC and definitely interested. Send me a beer mail closer to the time. I can also plan to stockpile some beers from various regions for you.

2 Likes

Yup you are one of those active users I’ve had in mind haha. I’ll definitely hit you up in a couple of weeks/months for details and probably some suggestions too if you dont mind!

1 Like

I certainly do not mind. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Just looking back at how I got on

Get to 3600 rates. Admittedly it was a low bar but I smashed it
Each style to 15 ratings. Progress made. I’ve now got 21 styles without 15 ticks, down from 64
Reach the Top 50 of the Places list. Done (43rd currently)
Clamber into the Top 20 raters of Gloucestershire beers. Done (19th)
Climb into the Top 30 raters of Somerset beers. Done (joint 28th)
Tick a beer from 300 regions. Just fell short, at 297 currently
Tick beers from 1600 breweries. Done (1706 currently).
Few more country ticks. Moved from 76 to 80
Happy with all that.

How did everyone else get on?

1 Like

Last year I wrote this: Managed a 10 day beery trip to Germany in 2021. I’m in Orange County again now and am happy to be here. I have stayed healthy and drank some good beer in 2021. So I met my goal.

I am hoping to complete my US States at last (@rennat42, I’m looking at you), just four to go. I would also like to appear on the World Leader Board for the most Regions Rated, but even with those four remaining States I will fall short. Need to find a proper South American Beer Shop while here in Southern California, been looking already, but failing big style.

That’s it for 2022, staying healthy again is the main goal.

Well I’ve stayed healthy and am again in Orange County, California for the beginning of a new year. 2022 was a whole lot better than I expected. Brugge, Med cruise, Hawaiian cruise, another German road trip and two weeks on a Greek island all helped me rate over 1,000 beers and plenty of places.

I now have all US States and in the top list for Regions sampled and Countries rated; lucky me.

2023 needs a new thread with goals and aspirations.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

For 2022:

Keep trying to get all beer styles to 20, won’t achieve but decent headway. (I feel like I made some decent progress but not sure how much)

Drink two more Spiced meads to get to 10, like everyone else try and find an ice perry. (Yes and yes. Pushed spiced meads to 10 and had 2 Ice Perry that Travlr collected for me and shared at a tasting)

Get region count to 300. (Fail only at 273. No international travel this year)

Keep trying for new breweries when possible. (Added 106 to my count like 20% of total annual ratings)

Get to top 50 VT raters so I’m in top 50 for all 6 New England states. (Fail didn’t try hard enough I’m 30 rates out of top 50)

2 Likes

Managed 3389 rates
Ticked off an extra 13 regions
Ticked off 4 new styles (still 5 unrated)
Managed 7th in West Midlands list
Did not make a beer festival

Therefore 3 out of 5. Very average!

2 Likes
  1. Done.
  2. Drank at both Bronx breweries, but couldn’t convince myself to go to Alewife.
  3. Well Ukraine was invaded… but I suppose my brother brought me a lot of Portuguese beers.
  4. I did give away the Moldovan beer to @explosivedog who gave it to @douglas88 so that worked.
  5. Failed again.
  6. Got Covid.
  7. Mostly a success. Beer drinking no longer puts as much pressure on body the next day.
5 Likes

Drink good beer. (Failed)

1. Get to 1k/500/100/100 rates in cider categories.

2. Drink good beer part deux.

3. Be the top rater of at least one major metropolitan brewpub out of state.

5 Likes

Goals for 2022:

1. Drink fewer beers - get my average down to 20 beers a month (currently at 40)

Not really. I rated 417 (around 40 of which were. N/A), down from 487 in 2021. Took about two months off alcohol in total. But I think the rating counter is broken because my average is still 40.

1. Drink better quality stuff - my average has been stuck at 2.91 forever…

Smashed it. Average is 2.92 now. Fuck yes.

1. Drink fewer Russian beers - I’m getting tired of the Russian beer scene… it just feels like endless NEIPAs, smoothie sours, and soup-flavoured goses

Done, just about. Russian ticks - 216 all other countries - 231. The pretty big drop in imports didn’t help.

1. Drink fewer pale lagers and more of everything else

Done. Drank different 87 styles, out of 441 ratings only 36 were Pale lager - American rates and 14 were Pale lager - Premium.

1. Get at least six more country ticks in an attempt to reach 140 countries

Haha, nope, failed this. 2022 is my worst year for country ticks at zero, 2021 is second worst at one. I’ve got four new country ticks waiting for me back in the UK, but then the war started and all my plans changed.

1. Pick up at least 10 new regions

Failed this too. The start of the year was pretty decent and things were looking real nice — picked up an Italian region in Moscow and a couple of other European regions (Poland, Finland) thanks to my only overseas trip, to the wonderful Budapest in early February before the shit hit the fan. Later in the year managed to find a couple of Russian regions, one which came from abroad, hah. So I scored about five in total.

Overall it was probably the worst year ever for me personally, simply because of the war (although I am not a citizen of either Russia or Ukraine). In terms of beer it was ok.

4 Likes
  1. Done. Now at 17.
  2. Done. Now at 23, with a Vermont place rate or two in the backlog that’ll get to me 24.
  3. Done. Got all of them plus South Carolina.
  4. Done. Visited all of them, though the place rates for a few are in the backlog.
  5. Done. Got 14 new countries and 29 new regions.
  6. Done.
  7. Huge failure.
  8. Done. Am now the top rater of a “major” NYC brewery (Grimm).
4 Likes