22 Counties, finally on track

So here we are; good and well seated at Nags Head, Reading.
Our first beer at english soil, had to be a bitter, cask served off course. Lovely smooth from Cloudwater, chiming in at 4,2 %.

Next one is a smoked from Hardknott, a brewery I really liked a lot, pity about the closing of this one.
This is the start of our 22 counties chase by train, doing 4 new counties tomorrow, Oxfordsh, Wiltshire, Somerset and Gloucestersh

11 Likes

Good luck! / Lykke til!

1 Like

Happy travels, look forward to seeing your updates.

1 Like

God tur til dere. Kos dere selv or det blir et rotterace.

1 Like

Excellent, a beery travelogue to follow to get rid of the January Blues. Where are you visiting in Oxford? I was there on Tuesday, most new beers for me were in The Royal Blenheim and St. Aldates Tavern, both close together and about 15 mins walk from the Railway Station.

1 Like

We are visiting The White Horse first, before we stroll back to the railwaystation, and jump into The Grape, limited time today :sunglasses:

Love Reading’s Nags Head, don’t get to go there much these days though.

Have fun & keep the reports coming, love a beer travelogue.

Glad you made it and look forward to your updates and of course especially look forward to seeing you on Sunday for our tour of Canterbury

1 Like

Lots of history attached to The White Horse, Winston Churchill’s favourite in Oxford, a bit touristy now. The Grapes isn’t the pub it used to be but still pleasant on the eye.

I look forward to seeing and reading about your beery exploits; 22 counties is a big ask in such a short time, Good Luck.

<*))))))><

Breakfast at The Four Candles (JDW), Oxford before we head into town. White Horse also for the Morse connection.

Whatever people think about Wetherspoons, they sure are handy for a chase like this. Being able to grab a breakfast, a place tick and maybe a couple of early beers before other pubs are open is a huge help.

2 Likes

Leaving Oxford for Swindon, we skipped White Horse, opened at noon, so we went to Turf Tavern instead, had a lovely pint of Black Sheep there, before we moved on to Grapes and finished off at The Pint Shop, which was a lovely place, could easy spend some hours there.

Yes the Pint Shop is always well worth a look if you have the cash. Swindon is more of a struggle, best bet is in the old railway sheds.

Actually the one I was thinking of doesn’t appear to be open any more, probably The Glue Pot would be best for the station.

1 Like

We are heading for the Glue Pot in a couple of minutes, our only stop in Swindon. Famous for XTC !

Spennende å følge dere! Vi lar oss både imponere og inspirere.
Fortsatt god tur. Tøft med XTC.:smile:

1 Like

Wiltshire done, off we go to Somerset

Full speeed, hope you manage to keep the schedule.

Bath Brewhouse now for a pint of bitter, before we head for The Salamander and finishes our visit in Somerset at Independent Spirit of Bath.