330ml (or smaller) bottles

There is an increasing trend for brewers (especially “craft” brewers) to market beer in 330ml or smaller bottles.

I hate this size. OK for scooping, but when I actually want a drink, I don’t don’t want to be teased I want to be satisfied.

I think 500ml is the right size - not too big and not too small,. You can become familiar with the beer, and properly enjoy it, but not be weighed down by it.

I’ve had a right fucking gutful of these pansy ineffectual girly sized bottles. Give me a man sized drink and fuck right off with yer prick teasers.

1 Like

Just pop two of them?

2 Likes

I used to agree with you, now I prefer to drink 33cl or (when in bars) 20/25cl. If I really like a beer nobody can prevent me to order a second round, but lately I find the 50cl format too much. Unless it’s a good damn german lager/rauch. In that case give me a liter!

Same her, for sampling beers myself, I prefer as small bottles as possible. The bigger one I usually save for sharing / tastings. If I really like a beer or want more, I’d just open 2, or even 3.

Fun fact; Nøgne Ø recently went from 0,5 bottles to 0,33. Now they’ve gone back to 0,5 bottles. Personally I don’t like that…

Depends on the beer type. Traditional UK session beers (bitter, mild etc) definitely benefit from a larger serving size, there’s something more satisfying about it (although obviously not as satisfying as on cask in good condition!). I don’t enjoy these types of beers as much in smaller serving sizes.

However, some beers need the smaller bottles. Much as I love impy stouts, I’m not necessarily going to enjoy 500ml of them (certainly not the next morning).

Then there’s the beers that should be sold in no more than 50ml miniatures. Stella Artois for example. Even 50ml of that filth is too much for me! St Jude’s Blue Punch also. And anything from Pembrokeshire brewery. And Harbin Beer, Desperados and - ugh, the very thought of it makes me feel ill - Kopparberg.

I’m seeing completely the opposite trend. Craft brewers moving away from 330ml bottles and into 440ml or 500ml cans. Personally I love the 440 size. 330 is fine too for me, means I can drink more beers without getting wasted. Only thing it’s worse for is if sharing.

Can you name some brewers moving into 330s? Off the top of my head I can only think of Thornbridge, with BrewDog and Beavertown being a couple that still heavily use 330 but they never did 500ml in the first place.

Pretty much everyone else is moving away from this don’t you think? Maybe smaller startups without their own canning line go for 330, but most established ones moved or are currently moving into 440/500 cans.

Verdant, Deya, Magic Rock, Northern Monk, Magic Rock, BBNo, Track, Pressure Drop, Neon Raptor, Whiplash, Buxton, North, Howling Hops, Mobberley, Arbor, Wylam, Wander Beyond, LHG, Vibrant Forest, Marble, Siren (soon).

Seriously I’ve gone through all my recent or top UK breweries and literally all have moved or always were canning in 440 or 500. I’m really struggling to find any who have switched to 330 these days.

There were two cases here of brewers going from 0.5l to 0.33l and both were a major clusterfuck for the brewery, losing them customers. The fact that some retailers never adjusted the price didn’t help but a lot of people tend to dislike 0.33l bottles by default.

Now, the first guys I can understand, but the second brewery’s obstinate stubbornness despite the example set by the other brewery and everyone with any semblance of experience and knowledge of the scene telling them it’s a fucking bad idea… still fascinates most. Shame, they make some good beers.

Bottom line. ABV is what it’s all about. I prefer my big beers, 10% and BEYOND, be in a smaller vessel ( or with a little help) with lesser alcoholy brews working their way on up to larger containers! You know what i,m talkin about !!? Aint rocket science especially if yer getting a long in years. Which i am :wink:

2 Likes

150 ml is suitable size for bottles for us that lovs to taste.
Heavy drinkers can go to the tap and larger.

1 Like

I think 33cl is a great size, and it’s my preferred size. I see a trend over here moving to 44cl and 50cl (cans), which I don’t really like. The larger sizes mean I have to drink and pay more for a single serving, and I don’t always want that, especially not for higher abv beers like imperial stouts.

4 Likes

In my opinion the important thing in this matter is a quantity/price ratio. I used to live in Poland where craft beer bottles are always in 0.5L and in 0.33L we have only Imperial Stouts, Imperial Porters, Barley Wines and heavy Doppelbocks, and prices are around $2 for a 0.5L IPAs etc. and around $2.5-$3 for 0.33L of anything Imperial.

Then I was a bit shocked after moving to UK, where almost every single craft beer is in 0.33L bottle but for around $4-$5 for IPA and $7 for Imperial beers.

This sucks because not only craft beers are in double or triple price, but also for this price I have a noticeably smaller bottles to enjoy.

Hmm that’s maybe good for decreasing the beer consumption amount, because now it becomes more luxurious and extraordinary pleasure than everyday joy.

I wouldn’t mind paying this $4 or $5 per bottle if I will have 0.5L and can properly enjoy it.

Maybe I’m just an enthusiast of bigger bottles, but I also think it should depend on the price, and 0.33L bottles should be at least a bit cheaper.

The problem is that the same materials are used for two different operations. For “tasting”, the dolls-house sized version is clearly better, but for “drinking”, the grown-up version can’t be beaten. You can’t kick back with a thimble, but you can with a pint. 400ml is a popular pour in these parts, which also works.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s kinda what I do. But as we’re mainly collectors, we tend to just buy one of whatever beer it is. So you drink your 330ml, and there aint another one just the same, so you’re onto something else…

I guess it’s to do with age. When I started on RateBeer most bottles and cans were 500ml, now most bottles and cans I see are 330ml. I think it’s probably that I’m an older guy. The only 330ml bottles I’d see regularly would be Belgian, and the occasional nip bottle for British strong beers.

I wonder how many bottles bigger than 330ml will be in people’s commercial advent calendars? If people make their own calendars they’d probably incline toward the larger size, but the sellers will be putting in the smaller sizes.

Given that the UK has a tradition of 284ml and 187ml, even 180ml, bottles, it’s a bit rich this criticism coming from a Brit!

Did you write this?

2 Likes

In Belgium is quite the normal size 33cl I think. But about craft beers I would say is the most common size in most of European countries.
For me 50cl is usually too much, I can drink it if it’s a Helles or a Weizen, light beers. Otherwise 33cl is more than enough for me.

1 Like

Lol!!