A trip to Bamberg

This is the start of another German trip by me and the wife. Started badly, M6 closed in parts, A14 also closed in parts. Long Stay Car Park at Stansted, balls up. Flight delayed an hour and apartment not ready on eventually arriving. Luckily the apartment fridge had these two cold ones waiting for us once we got the key.

<*))))))><

13 Likes

After over ten hours travelling or hanging around we thought we’d rest before going out and hitting ‘the town’. It started to honk down with rain, so plan B came into play. Near our apartment is a Bioland (or whatever it’s called) and I was sent out to buy provisions.

We stayed in (Margie has done over 15,000 steps) rather than go out; four new rates and an old friend in the five beers pictured.

<*))))))><

6 Likes

Saturday saw us in various gardens and pubs, glorious weather too. This being our first port of call.

7 Likes

Sunday now.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

On our way back to the apartment on Saturday evening we stumbled into here; https://www.ratebeer.com/p/die-bierothekÂź-bamberg-bamberg/45777/97853/
These are the six beers we left with.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Nice of you to post. It’s fun to vacation vicariously.

2 Likes

Well seems luck isnt on either of our sides. Got caught in a bomb scare on our DFDS ferry due to an unattended bag. All passengers had to move to the far end of the ferry, with staff standing by the entrance to the restaurant nervously holding a firehose for the remainder of the crossing.

After a half hour wait in Dunkirk finally made it to Het Ovenhuis, Watou relaxing in the fading late Summer sun with a new beer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the trip reports - very jealous as always! Hope that’s the end of your travel woes, enjoy the rest of the trip.

1 Like

Bloody hell, a ferry bomb! Hope everything else turns out OK.

Our drinking is going fine.

<*))))))><

I love Bamberg, can’t wait to get back either late this year or definitely next year.

2 Likes

It’s not all Rauchbier here in Bamberg.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Took this photo because I thought the only motorcycle mentioned in the bible was a Triumph.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Lovely warm flight of beer at Cafe Abseit, they hadn’t bothered to pull of the pipes and offer cold beers!
Or even fill up the Weizen.

<*))))))><

A Boozer outside Fassla!

<*))))))><

3 Likes

Thanks for posting & keeping some BA-style Travel&Bierkultur spirit alive on these pages that are slowly being drenched of soul & reclaimed by anti-culture technocrats.

Abseits seems to be in decline since Gerhard has been having some issues. Was there during the World Cup for Germany’s 1st game against Mexiko: 4 people in, 5 out.

Cafe Abseits was an awful experience to be honest. Young lady who served us wasn’t interested and had no pride in her appearance or the beers she was presenting. Unwilling or unable to smile or take away dishes and glasses once finished with, the man wasn’t much better. Our paddle, the flight came on sat with us empty for a full hour as both members of staff wandered around, it wasn’t busy. Plus there were no branded glasses or care in the presentation, just dumped down in front of us (without the bottles). The bierprobe being the worst part of it, all warm, no tasting notes (they are on the last page of the menu, but we were not told that, I found it while looking for my next beer). I do not expect each glass in a ‘flight’ to be exactly level, but this was a sloppy selection delivered without care or even the correct amount in the glasses.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Well that was a great little trip. We saw most of Bamberg over the six days and nights, walking over 54 miles during the visit. Lovely town if you like beer or not.

Highlights were the tour of the Weyermann Maltings and their hospitality room, https://www.ratebeer.com/p/weyermann-fan-shop-bamberg/19853/
Zapfhahn, https://www.ratebeer.com/p/zapfhahn-bamberg/49235/
and the Kaiserdom Brauereigasthof, https://www.ratebeer.com/p/kaiserdom-brauereigasthof-bamberg/13787/

49 New beer rates and 16 new place reviews.

<*))))))><

Love the Weyermann shop. I’ve got drunk in their a few times

Zapfhahn is a good addition. Can get busy in the evenings, Burgers are great quality and value for money

Kaiserdom I was only in for 2 quick beers inbetween buses but seemed a decent enough place.

Sorry you had bad time at Abseits. I’ve always had a great time there with Gerhard.

1 Like

[quote=“harrisoni, post:18, topic:8065, full:true”]
Love the Weyermann shop. I’ve got drunk in their a few times
I wanted to carry on drinking there, but we had been well looked after and were overstaying our welcome in the bar, trouble was they don’t let you drink in the shop, only the tables outside and would not let us have any glasses for the bottles I wanted to try, so we moved on.

Zapfhahn is a good addition. Can get busy in the evenings, Burgers are great quality and value for money
Yes, we liked it, but didn’t eat, good selection of both draft and bottled Bavarian/Franconian beers, didn’t eat there though.

Kaiserdom I was only in for 2 quick beers inbetween buses but seemed a decent enough place.
We had a couple of hours early evening in the garden, lovely setting and the beers were fine too.

Sorry you had bad time at Abseits. I’ve always had a great time there with Gerhard.
[/quote]_Think we hit a bad day, crap ‘flight’ and I am convinced I didn’t get to see the bottles I ordered because they were out of date; the Main Seidla Amber Spezial was awful and I’ve had it before, so know what it should look and taste like (I checked my rating for it).

<*))))))><_

You are right about Weyermann as I come to think about it. I sat outside with glassware I had brought myself and sat there and drank their beers listening to Lou Reed. So you need good weather and a glass. I washed my glass inbetween beers in the basin in the toilets. Then came out into the shop and bought the next beer in the fridge. Just takes a little effort to have a great experience. I swear the last woman who served me in there was some kind of part time dominatrix. She was great

1 Like