RateBeer Forums

Achel potentially losing its Trappist designation

A pretty well balanced article here:

Basically, last monks left the monastery at the end of the year, but brewing is still supervised by Westmalle monks apparently. The beer probably won’t change any, but they are potentially losing a pretty solid marketing boost. Wonder what will happen…

1 Like

Too bad. I’d volunteer but I’m pretty well out of the running for monkhood for a number of reasons…

Maybe they just become like St. Bernardus or Triple Karmliet? Abbey in name only?

Makes me wonder if those beers were initially made by monks. Or any other for that matter.

A long-running problem amongst a few trappist monasteries. Personally I would’ve thought thered be more interest nowadays. There was a great ‘slow TV’ documentary behind the scenes of a monastery in England not long ago. Seems a very stress-free life. Not for me though.

This is episode 1

2 Likes

Not sure whether it will have that much impact marketing-wise: they can still call it a trappist beer, they will only lose the logo on the bottle.
And from the Belgian trappists, they were already the least marketed with the smallest volume. Not sure how much of their beers were exported but for local volumes I don’t think them losing the label will make a difference… many Belgians don’t even differentiate between trappist and abbey beers when ordering & buying.

2 Likes

Add To RateBeer

Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Add An Event

Manage Your Account

Add Premium
Edit Profile

RateBeer Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter, RateBeer Weekly, a must for understanding new people, places and beers in worldwide craft culture.

Stay Connected

2000- 2017 © RateBeer, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service