Advent calendars 2021

I went for a Beyond Beer one this year, they do two so I went for the exclusive version.

2 Likes

I already had the Costco calendar in the basement waiting for Dec. 1st. Today I made the possible mistake of also buying the Aldi’s beer calendar. Hey, it’s new beers to try for about $2 each. That’s hard to beat. I intend to start on it before December.

Here’s a confusing part though. The Aldi’s calendar has some US beers on it with no brewer listed. They’re labeled “Prestige Beer Group” in the fine print, which is a distributor. Other than that, they just have a style/flavor featured on the label, like “Key Lime Sour”. That’s it. The main clue is that they’re brewed in Waunakee, WI.

With a little googling, I think I know which brewery made them. Octopi Brewing. They do a lot of contract brewing and have previously made several beers for Aldi’s. They’ve also been growing like crazy and have the capacity to do it. So… I would add them here under Octopi Brewing’s page, but what to name them? Maybe “Prestige Beer Group Key Lime Sour”? It’s weird not to see any brewery name on them, not even one invented just for these beers.

1 Like

Cheers for that @patrick767. Aldi don’t do them in the UK (at least they hadn’t until this year). I’ve just asked my daughter to get one for me (she lives in Orange County, California). I love cheap rates when I visit and this along with the Costco one should be just what I’m after.

<*))))))><

1 Like

@BlackHaddock Hopefully your daughter can find one for you. I read that in some stores the beer calendars sell out immediately each year. On the other hand, I found mine over a week after they went on sale. The local store still had a few. Maybe it’s because many of the beers were in one or more previous calendars. Specifically the many O’Shea’s beers (brewed by Carlow) were there in prior years. Looks like the Kristoffel brews have been in there before, too, but some others from Martens are new.

There may be others, but they’re all or almost all new to me, so that’s okay. Someone in another RB thread from last year was less than impressed with what they got in the calendar, but like I said, for the price I figure it’s worth a shot.

1 Like

@patrick767, I will let you know if I get one or not, hopefully be tasting them by the pool within 3 weeks.

<*))))))><

Today I invested in my first ever beer advent calendar.

Tiny Rebel … reason … 25 one off brews for said calendar.

Guaranteed new rates the lot.

6 Likes

My advent calendar from Brew Cavern arrived today, so excited to see what beers it brings.

2 Likes

I’m interested in calendar posts this year now !

2 Likes

I went for the Beer Republic advent, advertised as 24 beers from the US & Canada in a variety of styles. Cost was 102 euros (75 for the beers + 27 for shipping).

They tried to ship it to me last week. UPS refused to ship alcohol to the UK, DPD said the same, so it’s coming via PostNL apparently.

My first commercial order from the EU since Brexit, lets see if it arrives OK.

Edited to add: It arrived today. Looks like 24 x 355ml cans by the shape of the box

6 Likes

It’s pretty solid selection, more IPA-s and less lagers than I expected. There are a couple of cans that have been available in Beer Republic and I had tried before, and one of them is clearly something they wanted to offload. That being said from the quick look the ones I have tried all look ticks to you :wink:

Note: the IPA-s are canned between the 2nd half of September and the beginning of October. So people who are obsessed with freshness may want to start drinking them rather sooner than later.

2 Likes

Don’t normally get advent calendars, but this year have ordered one from Alefarm. Despite being fairly local they export about 90% of their beers so I got so used to missing them I did not actively search them out this year. Upside is that they do not rebrew very much and so am expecting anywhere between 75-100% new ticks out of the 24 days :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve been patient so far and not had a peek at the contents (yet)!

1 Like

Costco German advent slab for me! Much excite.

1 Like

My BeyondBeer calendar arrived on Saturday.

Loz’s T’Øl one should arrive in the next couple of days.

10 Likes

Loz’s T’Øl one arrived yesterday

6 Likes

Got my A Hoppy Place Advent Calendar yesterday. Roll on next Wednesday!

1 Like

My Hoptimism one arrived yesterday. All ready for December now.

2 Likes

The Hoptimism one seems to be one of if not the most highly regarded in the UK, I tried to get one last year but it sold out super quick, initially disappointed but then super pleased with the Beer Gonzo one which was very good indeed.

I am hoping that the Beyond Beer is going to be a cracker and maybe a continental equivalent of the Hoptimism one. They do two versions, I went for the exclusive (*more expensive option) and this also sold out super quick, and yet I am sure their email said that they had 480 I think :scream: I have purposely not opened the email telling me what it contains, I am looking forward to the surprise. I suspect that there may be some UK beers as I tend to get a regular supply of UK beers from Beer Beyond

1 Like

Just had delivery notification of my Tiny Rebel calendar

Tuesday 30th … cutting it fine!

2 Likes

I ordered this one a few years back (maybe 2017 or 18), it was indeed an excellent selection.
If I recall the 2021 version was put on sale in July and sold out pretty much straight away.

1 Like