RateBeer Forums

Another Broken Search

Its not getting used to it, its GUESS work what will work.

The Old Search was totally Predicable. It may have given Too many results. But all the results would Match the Search.

Here another Rubbish one, and this happened a lot on my last trip

Looking for Sori bar in Helsinki

Its 10th in the List and None of the other Nine even Have Sori in the name.

This Search is Totally unpredictable, and month Later its still Ruining my RB experience on a regular basis

It’s 10th because that list is sorted by distance (“closest match”).

For example, when I search for sori it is first in the list because I’m closer to Helsinki than you, whilst the Welsh place that you get as a first result is ninth for me as I am a lot further from Wales:

Well It wasnt First when i was in Helsinki

And as i sit in Edinburgh and Type Bat
Im getting

So its got my location wrong and suggesting places that dont have Bat in the Tittle
What use is that. Suggesting places that are not Near me, and dont include the word in the Title.

and Why the assumption i want the Closest place. If i want to Review a place i visited on Holiday. It almost certainly not going to be the Closest.

And yeah if i get the whole name i find it, but its not uncommon for someone to suggest a place and all you remember was that it was something bat etc

But again. I personally to use what i type. Not try and 2nd guess what i might have meant.

are people really happy with these changes. Ive done a lot of Festivals and Travel in the Last few months, and met up with 30ish Ratebeerians about 3/4 of those ive met are still suing Erics App (over 1 year since the new app) or have given up and gone back to paper or electronic notes.

And almost no one ive met has anything good to say about RB anymore.

It seems to think you’re in London :joy:

I’d actually prefer if there was some way to turn off the geo location thing and just get the most relevant search, i.e. if I search for sori, then give me Sori, and not some place nearby called Stori.

I think it’s just the site trying to be too clever and failing.

1 Like

And thats my Point. I dont want it to try be Clever and giving me Shit that is of no relevance.
I just want it to do as its told.

It Far rather an Idiot that does what i ask, than some smartarse that assumes im the idiot who dont know what there asking for.

1 Like

I didnt want to critize you way of thinking in any way. I understand that the new search is somehow tricky sometimes and you need a couple of attempts to get the right solution, bad compared to the old search. But sometimes the intuitive search is quite useful aswell.

For festivals and talking with other RBs I agree. But for me I never used Erics App nor RBs app. I use Untappd with some quick notes or on festivals even electronic notes and then later copy and expand to RB. Double work of course. So I get your point totally.

:heavy_plus_sign: :one:

To be honest, in multiple cases the new Search behaviour gave me bad results, on the other hand I don’t think my search results were ever improved compared to the old behaviour).
That’s my user experience.

Unfortunately, for many years every technical device and IT system is being dumbed down to be suitable for the lowest common denominator (aka the idiot):

• removing functional items from interfaces
  • removing buttons from controls
  • removing information
  • exaggerating empty spaces
  • the locking of devices (e.g. Apple policies) to prevent idiots from breaking anything
1 Like

Am I the only one who reads this as one word? I mean, those are three syllables but it’s obvious that it is a pun with the brewery’s name and Rasputin, so I am reading it as Ratsputin, which the search produces as first result.

1 Like

If id added the beer to the data base id have added as 3 separate words, and you wouldn’t have found it.

But again its not about this or that single case. But about me and not some ‘clever’ algorithm being in control.
The old search would find ratsputin if you typed as one word or 3. And if it doesn’t appear. I know its not there. Not that the algorithm just didn’t think it matched

Hey thanks for the feedback. I know we aren’t perfect on search and to be honest, we haven’t been for 18 years. Search has been a continual struggle. I also know Google has improved the standard for search to practically magical realms. The truth is we aren’t google and we just can’t be. With such a small team, we’re doing pretty good though. And I feel we’re a lot better than we were before 2016. Like the other search took time to master and use most powerfully, it’s taken time to get used to this and understand how to work around it’s limitations and take advantage of the new features.

4 Likes

Keep up the good work Joe, even google search can’t find a rat spu tin beer so I don’t expect ratebeer search to find it.

1 Like

Totally disagree the Old Search Did what it was told. Yeah it didnt Correct your spelling mistakes. and if you didnt give it enough to work with it would give far to many results. But it gave back results that Matched your input

The New one is a FARCE. It causes me problems on a Regular basis
(despite me actually mostly using Erics app)
If i type Black Jack Stout. i expect to find all the results blackjack stout finds.
I shouldnt have to guess or know when someone says the brewerys blackjack,
if they mean “Black Jack” or “blackjack”

The Search change has significantly effected my user experience, making it orders of magnitude worse than it was, and as i said in an eaerlier post in the traveling ive done this year, im finding it harder and harder to find anyone thats got a good thing to say about ratebeer anymore.

The only thing keeping me going is erics app. As that avoids all the issues. I could never go back to using the web site regularly now. The search just causes me far too many problems

see the thing is the old search did.

Don’t have the time to check if it’s mentioned, but if I try to search for beers/breweries/places while I’m on the forums page here, the search doesn’t work at all, doesn’t budge. W10, latest Firefox.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s been like that for at least a week.

4 Likes

Craig if you’re using eric’s old, you are using old search. Nothing has changed, maybe except for your perception?

Thanks, this is definitely a known issue and on the list of things to do. This last week was full of planning meetings by RateBeer’s now international team (hello Australia). So just me hammering out code changes… Thanks for your patience.

1 Like
BUG: Beer/Brewer/Bar Search in Forums doesn't work

No when i use eric app im ok. Well apart from the problem now that any beer with no description causes hangs. Then i use the new app.
But i often use the main site when at my desk at work or at home, when doing research.

In this case someone posted to twitter a photo of the pump clip from Edinburgh pub. So i just used the site to look it up and failed to find it. No longer trusting the search i double checked the brewery listing and discover it was there but entertaining exactly what was on the pump clip. Did not return the result that existed.

So many of the Rb people ive met in the last 6 months are using erics app. Does it not concern you that many of your long time heavy users would rather use an unsupported app than the site or the new app