Any idea why some beers give me instant heartburn?

Some beers give me instant heartburn. Others never do. I’ve never found anything to explain this. Is it possible I’m allergic to some ingredient in some beers? free netflix tech news
If it helps, the worst beers for me are light beers, wheat beers, or highly carbonated beers. At the other end of the spectrum, stouts and porters are bad. Abnormally high alcohol content also doesn’t work.

I’m best with lightly carbonated brown or amber beers, served not very cold. (As it happens, I also like them this way.) Negro Modelo, which is what I drink most, has never given me heartburn.

You don’t have to be highly allergenic, but it could be a sensitivity. Sometimes I have stomach problems if I have a ton of sours. The wheat beers could be a gluten sensitivity. I have read gluten sensitivity could be related to some autoimmune diseases. The light beers you could also have a sensitivity to corn or rice. Rice for Bud Light, dilly dilly. Corn for Miller Light and Coors Light.

1 Like

I would also think some beers are more acidic. But while wine gives me instant heartburn, beer does not, even acidic sour ale. I might get heartburn later but never inmediatey upon imbibing as with wine. That said I am going to see a doctor and see what is up.

1 Like

Sounds like you might be gluten sensitive, try a gluten free beer (see gluten free tag) or cider/perry/mead which are gluten free and see if that avoids the effect. Theres a blood test to check if you might be celiac, which is more severe as its showing antibodies are raised against the gluten so like an allergic reaction, but you can still be gluten sensitive without positive test as celiac which is then a case of removing gluten and seeing if that avoids the symptoms

Acidic beers give me horrible heartburn over the past year or so, especially after going to bed (acid reflux). I’ve begun passing on many sours lately and it’s definitely gotten better, so I think you just have to figure out what your body can take… and remember, the older we get the less our bodies like things they once had no problems with.

1 Like

The sours hit me the worst as well but you also have to consider what you ate…

The “carbonated” part is carbonic acid. It’s in the name, it’s an acid, heartburn is due to too much acid in the stomach…
For the alcohol bit:
Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) Dysfunction

If the lower esophageal sphincter is weak or loses tone, the LES will not close completely after food passes into the stomach. Stomach acid can then back up into the esophagus. Certain foods and beverages, alcohol, drugs, and nervous system factors can weaken LES and impair its function.

1 Like