RateBeer Forums

Applejack?

A colleague mentioned that they’d tried some Applejack over the weekend, someone’s started producing it locally. I wondered if it was akin to Ice Cider and my research suggests ‘maybe, maybe not.’ So would it be rateable on here or does it simply depend on how it’s produced?

It’s distilled so it’s a liquor not rateable at least that’s my understanding.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-04/applejack-and-american-apple-brandy-best-bottles-cocktail-recipes

1 Like

Yeah it’s always been synonymous to apple brandy to me. At least where I’m from; may be regional differences.

I had to educate myself… wikipedia.
From what I see, it may be produced by freeze-distilling the fermented product.
To be noted, it’s very different from heat-distilling as in the latter only the fumes are collected and most of the heavy compounds (e.g. sugars) are eliminated, while in freeze-distillation mostly water is eliminated leaving alcohol and heavy compounds.

But this is very different too from Ice Cider, where the cryo concentration happens before fermentation.

Generally speaking I’m not in favour of post-fermentation/post-maturation processes.

My recommendation is that this product shouldn’t be rateable.

1 Like

Should not be rateable.

Yeah, but we also have Givres on here under the Ice Cider category, which is literally eisbocked Cider.

The problem is that this kind of distillation in the US requires a distiller’s license. In Germany it’s allowed by the Reinheitsgebot and is not considered distillation. As an extreme example, Schorschbock’s 57% Eisbock, which is produced in the same way, is sold as beer in Germany, and it’s rateable here.

I would agree that this should not be rateable though, simply because the producers market it as spirit and not as fermented beverage.

1 Like