Are you really drinking local?

Dear,

my local is Sweden but really it is Gothenburg and its neighbourhood. So I defined my local local as brewery location that I could reach (legally) within 30 minutes. My local local is 10,69 % of total and 26,80% of local.
So quite local;),

• So, are u really drinking local local?
Brewery Tested
3 små rum 3,5 m 12
Göteborg
Ahlafors Bryggerier 21
Alafors
AKiA Brygghus 6
Kungsbacka
All In Brewing 46
Göteborg
BarlindBeer 22
Bohus-Björkö
Bearded Rabbit Brewery 21
Göteborg
Beerbliotek 96
Göteborg
Billdale 4
Göteborg
Brewgineers 2
Göteborg
Cavaletta Wines 1
Onsala
Dragos Fantombryggeri -
Göteborg
Dugges Bryggeri 156
Landvetter
Electric Nurse 42
Göteborg
Ett Bördigt Bryggeri 1
Göteborg
Fiskebäcksbryggeriet 1
Västra Frölunda
Godahops Hantverksbryggeri 5
Göteborg
Gothenbrew 2
Göteborg
Hybris Brewery 2
Hålta
Hönöbryggeriet 7
Hönö
John Scott’s Brewery 2
Göteborg
Linnéstadens Bryggeri 1
Göteborg
Lycke Bryggeri 18
Mölnlycke
Majornas Bryggeri 3
Gothenburg
Mikrofonbryggeriet 13
Gothenburg
Mohawk Brewing Company 67
Göteborg
O/O Brewing 16
Göteborg
Oceanbryggeriet 65
Göteborg
Odd Brewing Co. -
Göteborg
Odd Island Brewing 12
Kungsbacka
Pannrummet Kök & Bar 1
Göteborg
Poppels Bryggeri 44
Jonsered
Revolt Bryggeri -
Öjersjö
Rådanäs Bryggeri 27
Mölnlycke
Sad Robot Brewing 37
Hisings Backa
Spike Brewery 33
Göteborg
Stigbergets Bryggeri 48
Göteborg
Styrsö Bryggeri -
Styrsö
Vega Bryggeri 20
Göteborg
West Coast Beersmiths (Bryggeri) 48
Göteborg
Wet Whistle Brewery 4
Landvetter
Sum 906
Tot Swedish 3381
% 26,80%
Tot Ratings 8473
% Local 39,90%
% Local Local 10,69%
3 Likes

Pretty hard for me to determine; many of my Belgian rates have been while living in Amsterdam, and I’ve had plenty of Dutch beers while living in Brussels. It’s also super hard to determine what radius is 30 minutes away.

I’m just going to assume that it’s not that much because I’ve never worried about drinking local.

2 Likes

398 rates from Auckland breweries. 34.0% of my NZ rates and 18.7% of my total rates. Not too bad.

1 Like

I have one brewery within 30 minutes. Yeah I go there from time to time, but if this is the criteria I don’t have much to choose from.

2 Likes

13% of my England rates are from the county I live in. Aside from my actual local brewery which I frequent I’m not really one to stick to my own area to be honest, I thrive on choice and variety and love getting beers from all over the country, and other countries.

3 Likes

Hi Adam, to make it simplier for me I took the central point of Gothenburg vs the breweries town central points.
Since u’re staying ib Brussels for the moment u can use the ring (?)/E40 as a boundary- takes 25 min in all directions accept the south.

Cheers // Thomas

1 Like

Good job :+1:t3: - u live in the right place;),

Aaaa one hour drive to Spencer. But your local brewpub looks fine;).

How big is your county? / Thomas

2129 of my beers come from the state I live in, Virginia. However, some of those rates would take up to 6 or 7 hours if I drove to where they are brewed.

30 minutes just barely gets me to all the Washington DC breweries. (442 beers). I took a wild stab at the number of VA breweries that are within that distance, and I’m thinking about 650 of my rates are probably from within 30 minutes. There’s really only a handful of Maryland breweries that close so I’ll go with a modest 20 rates from there. If you bumped the time up another 20 minutes, it would probably be a few hundred higher (almost entirely VA ratings).

That’s 1112 “local local” ratings or 12.6% of my total ratings.

Other than when I’m traveling or happen to be at a bar that has other offerings, I pretty much exclusively seek out local or regional beers these days.

1 Like

Well now that I’ve looked it up, Gloucestershire is about 3 times bigger than Gothenburg in terms of area. But I think all the breweries I’ve drank from are within a 1 hour drive of where I live.

If I narrow it down to your 30 minute timeframe for “local local” then only about a third of my county rates would qualify, so my 13% would fall to just 4% of all my England ratings.

I have actually never gone to the winery on Spencer, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and what I had from them was not impressive. There are breweries in Huntington and Beckley which take less time to get to, which I have visited.

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Are you conflating “drinking” with “rating”. My rating’s all over the place. (shut it!)
My drinking recently is plenty of P6hjala (city), Pyhaste (country), and Tanker (country). So yeah I’m drinking local even if I’m ticking Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Italy, and Canada (in the last month).

2 Likes

23% of what I have rated is in roughly a radius of 30 mins travel, but more than 39% is from the state (New York) I live in.

2 Likes

Ticking !
Since RB is not Untappd;)

1 Like

I am the top rater of Shropshire beers and also lead the most Shropshire breweries sampled list.

Of those breweries I am usually the person with the most rates also.

I do however drink more beer from other places as well as drinking local. Luckily my wife likes beer and travelling, so we often have beery holidays.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Right now in Vancouver it’s better to drink a majority of local-local, since we are blessed with excellent hoppy beers and the occasional Imperial Stout.

1 Like

Taking this as a regional Länder issue in the still slowdeveloping German craft landscape:

380 Baden-Württemberg out of 4279= 11%

Really regional would be narrowing it down to just Baden (Karlsruhe-Lörrach) or even Südbaden, which would amount to less than 5%, Schwarzwald probably to less than 1%.

For what it’s worth, I’m drinking Freiburg Ganter Urtrunk and Braukollektiv by the case and they are both within walking distance, so that soothes my conscience in terms of drinking regional quantity…

Good topic!

1 Like

I probably have 50 or so breweries within 30 minutes of me, so there’s no way I’m actually going through and crunching the numbers… But yeah, I’d say probably 95% of what I drink by volume comes from within those 30 minutes. Tick-wise… maybe 75% of my ticks are from within 30 minutes?

2 Likes