Beer Type

You worry too much. Drink up !

1 Like

I have a dozen different glasses. If I have a hefeweizen I will use the hefeweizen glass.
Does it make a difference?
In my 6 years I haven’t noticed.

I tend to use a plain glass tankard for pints. A tulip for everything else. A trappist glass for a Belgian trappist beer for no other reason than it’s traditional.

In summary. If you have a traditional glass for the style use it. Otherwise just use what you have got.

2 Likes

No doubt!
I don’t drink a very wide variety of styles but most of what I drink I pour into a pilsner or a stemless wine glass.
Except I like kolsches and will use stanges for them.
(I also think stanges are kewl)

1 Like

Ah yeah babe…

When in doubt, tulip for Belgians and other yeast beers and Willi Becher glass for literally everything else!

1 Like

Not hugely. Mostly you’ll want space for some head and some vapours, and then for it to narrow to focus the aromas, the rest of the touted features are mostly decoration. I don’t like my body heat to change the temperature of a beer, so I prefer stemware, or something with some bulk. For most beer styles, you’ll not be doing the beer any harm drinking it from a wine glass or even a cognac glass.

Put it to the test - pour a pale ale into a couple of different glasses, and before taking a sip, see if you have a preference for the aroma. DIfferences in taste will be minimal, it’s mostly in the aroma, and once you’ve sipped one glass, you’ll be less sensitive to the next sniff. Similarly, in two of the same glass type, pour one really gentlly, and the other more aggressively so that you build up a nice healthy head (don’t do this with an over-carbonated beer, obviously). Again, the aroma should be different, but different glass shapes will highlight this difference to varying extents.

But as sloth says - chill, don’t get too fussed by these things; I had a fantastic french cider from a jam jar last night!

1 Like

Hopefully a French jam jar.

hi @SinH4,I am a hefeweizen lover…just wonder if there is good hefeweizen outside Oberbayern?thanks

there are a few good ones in Lower Bavaria, Franconia, and also in Austria and Baden-Württemberg. Probably not the answer you were looking for since all those places are adjacent to Upper Bavaria, but I really can’t think of memorable ones outside those places (and there aren’t so many breweries who brew Hefeweizen to be found elsewhere).

Yes thats the answers im looking for…one day ill explore those areas to try as many different Hefeweizen as possible.Are you from Munich area,sir?my favourite hefeweizen is Franziskaner and Weihenstephan.Thank you so much for your reply and nice to know you.

I am from Austria, but I’ve been living in Munich since 2015. Weihenstephan is one of the best, you can hardly find a better one.