Bells Barrel Aged Cherry Stout

Should Bells Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout and Bells Whiskey Barrel Aged Cherry Stout be one listing?

No. They are aged in different types of bourbon. The same is said for original Barrel Aged Expedition and the bottled variation.

1 Like

The whiskey one is tap only.

That is interesting because the bottle I picked up seems to be identical to the label for the whiskey version currently on ratebeer.

I mean I could be wrong. This is how it was explained to me when I questioned the barrel aged Expedition stout with separate listings.

Absolutely not. The whiskey is Traverse City Whiskey BA, and the bourbon is from a bourbon barrel, as is the case with all their whiskey vs. bourbon barreled offerings (unless the whiskey barrel is specified as otherwise).

2 Likes

Definitely different. I questioned it as well at a recent fest. The program said Bourbon Barrel Aged but the bottle said Whiskey Barrel Aged and the brewery rep confirmed that they are indeed different beers.

So a few years ago the Bourbon was available in bottle and now the whiskey is available in bottle. If on tap it has always been bourbon?

I haven’t seen the whiskey on tap, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it turns up, as Traverse City Whiskey is their biggest source of barrels.

EDIT: It looks like deyholla and alexsdad06 had the whiskey on tap in December, based on their reviews. I’d say if it was on tap before December 2017, it was the bourbon.