Beste Deutsche Craftbiere

Though honestly, this Manichean Craft vs. Traditional “fight” is truly misplaced for me. It’s possible to dig both Schlenkerlas and NEIPAs, Weizenbocks and Brett Saisons, Helles’ and Imperial Stouts.

Except for Irish reds. They should be banned from existence.

Though in all seriousness. It all boils down to personal taste, nothing else and let’s not pretend it’s anything else. Craft brewers offer variety that wasn’t available before - which will suit some and won’t suit some, and complaining about that makes you nothing but an atavistic Luddite (or just an angry old man (at heart at least)). However, craft beer fans/brewers implying that their beers are inherently and automatically “better” than traditional stuff, ESPECIALLY in countries like Germany and Czech Republic for example are hipster douchewads too. Both sides are to blame to a certain point. Enjoy what you enjoy. Don’t diss automatically that what you generally don’t like. Heck, if I found some Dubbels I like, you can find some pastry stouts and milkshake ipas that somehow suit you. Or don’t bother with them at all, accept they are there for a reason and will either stay having found a niche or go away - your favorite brewery won’t go under because of them, and that’s what counts. Enjoy the fact that you’re in a country that offers variety of fantastic quality.

5 Likes

I completely agree with you. One can enjoy both. One has to enjoy both. The thing is that - IMO - the craft breweries in Germany cannot guarantee yet a stable and world class product. While on the other hand traditional breweries like Schlenkerla, Ayinger, Wagner, Mönchsambacher (and I could name dozen of breweries from Franken) will always win on an international level when it comes to traditional beers. This is what makes Germany great.

I cannot say the same of Czech Rep., since the “modern” beers I’ve tried there show a super good and already international touch (see Raven, Strahov…) that not all German craft brewers can.

That much is true. Which is strange in a way - since I’ve tried world class stuff by Riegele almost 10 years ago when I was in Sweden - an IPA and an Imperial Stout and yet - it’s indeed true they are lagging behind. Though Reinheitsgebot surely doesn’t help them, and partly the “only local” mentality.

Munich Brew Mafia keeps a high level of quality from my experience though IMO, that much I can say with certainty, from what I’ve tried here.

Anyway, ČR is not without its outliers. I’d almost say that Raven, Strahov (god… as much as I love the brewery I hate the place now after my last visit), Matuška and some others are actually the outliers themselves in terms of quality. I’ve tried plenty of shitty IPA wannabe beers there… Well, will need to dig deeper once I’m there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No doubt, Matuška is great… Strahov is (was?) also great, presumably because Pan Matuška st. worked there as an advisor in the beginning. The newer micro-brewers of U Tří růží and Vojanův dvůr are located in very touristy places as well, but the quality is outstanding…
All in all the quality of the Czech Ležáky (brewed by the new minipivovary) is often better than the quality of the so-called “Ejliky” IMHO.

I tried their beers only once. I loved Don Limone, but I cannot tell about their consistency. Referring to the ones I can try regularly, I can tell that Berliner Berg and Buddelship are reliable breweries here in the north

I need to give them a second chance then. I thoroughly enjoyed their apa, but not the “classic” ones.

BTW, now that 2018 is almost gone and given that I have in cellar only a lot of Austrian and Italian beers, I can tell my German top10:

Buddelship Mr. B New England IPA
Fuerst Wiacek A Quick One While She’s Away
Weiherer Rauch
Hops & Barley Spring Hell
Buddelship Mr. T
Camba Bavaria Black Shark
LaBieratorium Orange Pale Ale
Barnimer IPA
Yankee & Kraut Eden
Brauerei Eichhorn Pils

1 Like

U Tří Růží was a breath of professional, quality service last time after an experience at Strahov that was abysmal & humiliating.

Their APA 14° was quite unimpressive but both Specials Sv. Jilji, no. 1 and no. 3 were very good beers IMO.

That said, as most places I hope(d) to return and with limited time, I didn’t go for the regulars both times I was there, opting instead for the specials/seasonals, so I haven’t yet tried those. :smiley: