BotM - March’23 - Belgian Triple

Here we go

1 Like

It’s been my least favorite style for several years now. Sweet garbage juice. The only one I can still drink is Tripel Karmeleit.

1 Like

Great style, if properly made. Must always be nicely hoppy/bitter. I think my favorite is still Westmalle Triple. I also recommend aging it, turns to totally different beer in 10+ years.

2 Likes

I had the Bruery Terreux Lapu Lapu a few days ago. I suppose it is tangentially related as it uses it a tripel base, but tasted pretty far from it.

1 Like

My top is Captain Lawrence Golden Delicious. This is made with addition of golden delicious apples. This was from when I first started getting into craft beer but I remember loving this one. I realized I never rated Allagash Triple and just saw at beer store and could have purchased to participate.

1 Like

Westmalle Tripel is really the one for me. Stoudts (RIP) Tripel in 750mls ($3.99 circa 1999) was probably the first example I ever had, Allagash close behind…not sure about what my first actual Belgian example was. Unibroue La Fin Du Monde is pretty nice to have out there, but I wouldn’t say it is even top 10. I think most US examples just can’t touch the classic Belgian examples, and have sort of given the style a bad name here, or at least generated disinterest. Obviously, there are dozens of World Class examples made in the US at this point, they are just few and far between.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Love the glass

Love me a good tripel. Always have some Chimay White in the fridge, also love Westmalle Tripel on occasion (most bars in NL stock it, and often the only ‘craft’ option next to Duvel). Favourite (and highly debated style-wise, I know) is Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux. Shared a fresh 75cl bottle this weekend and it was awesome. And all are dirt cheap here, between €1,50-1,90 for Chimay / Westmalle, and just €5 for the 75cl Dupont. Can’t beat that in terms of value for money.

4 Likes

New tripel ticks not that common around here at the moment but plenty of old favourites. This new one

a middling decent example. I’ve rated 112, apparently and I think I like them more than the average rater. I like that the good ones are still mostly just a strong pale beer but that there’s some slight magic of yeast or balance that transforms.

I’ve found the classic Westmalle one a little too spicy at times and I always start the Karmeleit one thinking it’s too sweet and then coming around to it because of the finish.

Perhaps I’ll come back to this thread later in the month and drink the last of my Bridge Road / Nøgne Ø Aurora Australis II s - last tasted 10/20.

4 Likes

Clear golden color and a white head. Herbal and banana nose, taste is also yeasty and sweet. Nice one.

3 Likes

I addition to what I stated above with Captain Lawrence and Allagash another I highly rated was Anchorage Tide and its Takers. Quite nice

2 Likes

The brett dried it out nicely.

2 Likes

Always thought I had this but thanks to this thread I now have.

6 Likes

Another US example, courtesy of @mansquito. Pretty solid, maybe a bit lacking in subtlety

4 Likes

La Trappe / Kleiburg Traditionair

My first new trappist beer for months, doesn’t carry the ATP label though I’m sure it meets all requirements. Fairly hoppy and dry, how a Tripel should be.

6 Likes

Grote Burgemeester from Seagull Brewing, another hoppy Dutch Tripel, a fairly modern example as you can see. Brewed with sage and thyme infused malt.

4 Likes