PLACE PAGE Feedback / bug updates

The type of Place should be aligned with type of Producer, with some differences:
we need to add:
Cidery
Meadery
I think they can be shown with the same red colour as “Brewery/Taproom” on the maps, just not to complicate things with too many colours, but it should be possible to filter by them on the maps

1 Like

Yes we definitely need to separate Breweries, Meaderies and Cidreries!. And we also need some to differ Grocery stores and Gas Stations/Convenient Stores too…

1 Like

At the very least grocery stores and bottle shops could be separated.

We already have “Grocery store” and “Beer Store”, so that’s covered.

I don’t really see the need to differentiate gas stations and convenience stores though; it gets to a detail that I don’t really know how can help the user, while it adds complexity (noise).
The relevant difference is “store predominantly focusing on beers” vs “other business but with some beer”.
In many places around the world beer can be sold by itinerant market booths, bakeries, farms, and so on; we won’t ever finish.
If necessary, let’s find a better name for “grocery store”.

Hi everyone, we made some updates to the places page today

• N/A is now shown instead of 0 for food and value
  • Place review count shown next to user name instead of beer review count
2 Likes

You should change the look of the Score breakdown from that ugly grid look to something like this, and include the percentile score at the end of that score breakdown.

@services
@aww

I’ve tried twice now to edit a place rating for this place:
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/k-supermarket-kamppi/21818/

Once a few days ago via my phone (website in Chrome, not app), and once just now via my PC (website, Firefox).

It just hangs in “saving mode” and doesn’t get updated.

Not sure I’ve tried to edit/update a place rating since the new place page came out, so I do not know if this affects all places for everyone, all places for me, or just this place.

I did add a few notes on each place I reviewed while in Finland last weekend, since there is no check in option, I very much hope I can edit these and add more text, and that they do not display the same problem.

Actually just updated this place
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/suomenlinnan-panimo-helsinki/4008/32615/
real quickly, and that worked just fine.

And the 4 others I had added a review to I just updated quickly with no issues.

If not that place by itself that has a problem, perhaps it has something to do with my other rating I am trying to update is 8 years old?

@services @aww
Please let me know if this is a known issue, or if you want me to test something additional or just if you want more data what it is that you need.

OK, so I found it myself.
I had to start over, then drag the sliders for food and value from 0 up, then back to zero, so a “bubble” showed up stating I had selected it to be 0.
Guess this is “only” a problem for places reviewed using the old place page, when having left either food or value at 0, then attempting to update the review, wanting still to leave at least one of the values for food or value at 0?

xxx

Just did the same thing when updating this one:
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/60-degrees-bar-brewery/70102/

Just when hitting “save” realized I didn’t update the “Food” slider, so now it is stuck in “save mode”, I can’t copy all the text I just wrote, I cannot hit cancel, I cannot update the slider.
So I guess I need to kill the window, then rewrite everything once more.
Not sure I can bother.

So please, pretty please, if this is not a known issue, put it on the list to be fixed!

Oh, one more thing, the inability to have any kind of line break messes up some (most of my) place reviews to a point where I guess nobody will even attempt to read them.

As the place reviews for me is the biggest asset to RB, and have been even since I became a member myself, I’d very much like to see this come back. Even if I do have to write e.g. < B R > without the spaces for each and every one, since I’ve learned to live with that.

XXX

Something that got added to the old place page not that long ago was a check box “this is a new review” that would uplift your place review to the top. This was a feature I really enjoyed when it arrived, and I wouldn’t mind if this could come back as well.

@aww @services

Can’t re-rate / update my rating of places now.

Just wondering if any of the known bugs mentioned here have made it to the bugs list by devs, so at least it is likely to be fixed?

@aww @services @joet

Not possible to rerate places without knowing and remembering you need to activate sliders previously set to N/A is frustrating and also reported by others in various threads.

1 Like

Thanks, @gnoff. We have the place re-rating bug as a listed issue. We’re currently awaiting time to revisit.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s mentioned - but please let us have the ability to add more breweries associated to a single place at some point. There are a ton of places that are co-owned by several breweries.

1 Like

Other two checkboxes needed most likely - “cash-only” and “flights/tasters”.

2 Likes

BUG On the page top City Link (Places/Region/City) when there’s special characters (like the apostrophe) in the city name, the link sends us to the wrong URL (back to main Place page)

BUG When editing a place food menu, there is no way to erase it…it’s always there after erasing it.

BUG There’s a problem with the ratecount and score after moving ratings from a place to another. Both the old and new place don’t have correct ratecount and score after that.

The ABOUT THIS PLACE should be displayed by default, if the text is too long, clicking Show More should expand the full text.

Always the Place Picture right to the beer name and score (never under), exactly like the Brewer page (putting in under make the page display look weird and it Hides too much of the stuff below.

ADMIN NOTES should be clearly visible (to admins only) on the Place page.

Missing SORT BY option for reviews:
Friends
Most Liked
Top Raters

Rename the Sort By option RECENT to NEWEST

Move Opening hours to Show More section.

Missing the ROWS PER PAGE option ALL.

Missing the FRIENDS button for reviews (like on the Beer page)

Change the FOOD MENU and BEER MENU buttons to Icons to make them look better with the other icons and make the screen less busy.

Add an ADMIN TOOLBAR (similar to the Beer page one) with the following VERIFY/UNVERIFY, DELETE PLACE, EDIT PLACE, ADD PICTURE, CLOSE/UNCLOSE PLACE, PLACE ID NUMBER, created by, created date, last edited by.

We need the option to delete a check-in in case we did it by mistake.

Need to be Introduced/Reintroduced ASAP:
Growlers available or not (missing since the update)
Tasters/flights available or not (new)
Pet Allowed (new)**
Cash Only / No Credit cards (new)
Online Orders / Delivery Available for Beer Stores (missing since the update - Ex: Rename Mail Order to Online Order local / International)

Since Places also have their own scoring system, these must also be added:
WHAT THESE SCORES MEAN
STATISTICS
And you also need to make a difference between Ratings and Reviews as well.

@services

Places, as has been said here before, is a great asset for RateBeer and the mapping now is excellent. The biggest thing I miss from the filters is not being able to filter out places I’ve already rated. Really hoping that makes a return.

6 Likes

Oh almighty admins, I beseech thee, please clone a place to this new brewery: https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/cantero-brewing-company/42430/

Your wish has been granted, mortal.

Take this place and reap its bounties!
https://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=90535

1 Like

I’m not worthy!

1 Like

LIST OF BUGS AND NEEDED THINGS CORRECTED ON MAY 4TH 2020 FOR THE PLACE PAGE

CORRECTED
The Province/State link on top brings you to the bad URL for non-us states
For example https://www.ratebeer.com/places/states/61/ (bad)
should be https://www.ratebeer.com/places/canada/quebec/61/ (good one)

CORRECTED
In the place page, the top link to the place’s city sends you to the wrong city (empty listing) when special characters are included.
For example link to Switzerland Zürich
https://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/zurich/0/191/ (good)
sends you to a city page of Zuerich
https://www.ratebeer.com/places/city/zuerich/0/191/ (which doesn’t exist).

CORRECTED
In the associated brewer, there’s no link to redirect to the Brewer page when populated.

CORRECTED
BEER MENU link (missing since the update, should be next to MAP)
Food Menu or not (missing since the update)
Kids allowed (missing since the update)
Outdoor Patio (missing since the update)

CORRECTED
The COPY TO CLIPBOARD option is not working, like everywhere else.

CORRECTED
Add THIS REVIEW WAS USEFUL / Thumb’s up feature for Place reviews

CORRECTED
When we edit a place, we are sent to the old page format URL instead of the new one.

CORRECTED PARTIALLY
Missing ROWS PER PAGE option other than the default 10 so it doesn’t take forever to scroll through the reviews…

CORRECTED
Missing any SORT BY options for reviews:
Newest to Oldest / Oldest to Newest
Highest to Lower / Lowest to Highest

CORRECTED
You can’t load rating pages past the first 3 (1-30), all the others (31-40 or more) send you to an infinite loading loop.

CORRECTED
When you click on the Ratebeer map, only the Place is displayed on the map, not all the other Places around like the normal map…this makes using the Ratebeer map from that page rather pointless…

Overall this is quite a few fixes!