Cheap ticks and rates

I don’t want to teach people to suck eggs but; pop into one or two of your local Eastern European shops and take a prolonged look at their beer selection.

I have been pleasantly surprised with what I’ve found, plus they have some really weird crisp flavours to try!

<*))))))><

3 Likes

I do this but the shops around here are limited to the same few Polish and Romanian lagers. Always go into a new shop with hope in my heart though😃

I used to love Brannigan’s Beer Nuts and one of the local minimarts stocks Bulgarian peanuts that may as well be Beer Nuts.

1 Like

My ones have Polish, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian and Romanian, sometimes Russian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian.

My Polish and Baltic state rates have done well since the ‘Lock In’.

<*))))))><

I’ve not really gone down this avenue, even during lockdown, as I’ve had some stinkeroos from Eastern European shops. I think the ones around me are pretty disappointing. I had better luck in Bedford, where I came across some Russian stuff as well as my only Montenegro tick.

1 Like

To be fair most of the beers are lager based brews, but good for BBQ’s or hot afternoons (I’m retired). This was an interesting find: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bistrampolio-dvaro-alus-sokolado-juodasis/857490/97853/

Just over 4 quid for a litre!

<*))))))><

1 Like

I guess it’s the benefit of being in a more rural location with Eastern European farmworkers?

Went to the Centre Parc in Thetford and the majority of new ticks I found were Lithuanian, Latvian and Russian.

Unfortunately my Ukrainian colleague has been on mat leave because she has been known to pick me up a tick when she’s been to shops in London. Although she never did deliver on her promise of a Georgian beer.

If you’re ever unfortunate to find yourself in West Bromich, WB stores has about 100 different beers in, as well as a good selection of sausage.

4 Likes

I’ve only really begun to scartch the surface of this. Plenty of Polish shops in Crewe, and the one I visit mainly I’ve been so impressed with, I’ve added it to RateBeer. Most are bog-standard lagers of course, but I’ve also picked up things like an Irish Ale (Polish) and a Cannabis beer (Lithuanian).

As you may know, I visit Latvia frequently and my beers total there is about 300, but that didn’t stop me picking up a new beer from a shop in Burton on Trent yesterday.

1 Like

I’ve not had much luck with this lately, all of the shops near me tend to stock the usual Lech, Tyskie etc. but nothing more ‘exotic’. Am moving house soon so hopefully my new area will hold more promise.

1 Like

Yes, guilty as charged, I have been trawling the East European shops locally for a while, but a tick is a tick.

1 Like

Been meaning to check out that shop. Unfortunately Soph did the deliveries in Telford this week and there’s no chance in hell she’d take a detour to pick up some Latvian lagers for me.

1 Like

Err, which shop is that ?

It’s a small shop in Trench (an area in Telford) called Sofia that I found Martin.

<*))))))><