Cloudwater are knocking it out of the park at the moment

I’ll do the county thing later. That’s all I have to say for now.

2 Likes

I’ve got to disagree, I think Cloudwater make some fantastic beers, but they also produce stuff that isn’t really a beer, call it a beer and ask far too much money for it.

Our monthly beer share in Shrewsbury always seems to have at least one ‘new release’ from them (one of our group loves the brewery), it’s often hyped up, but lacks interest, flavour and direction.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Never understood all this hype about Cloudwater. Their beers leave me cold. Their prices leave me skint.

5 Likes

To each their own I suppose. I’ve just not had a beer short of excellent by them in a long time, which is something I can’t say about most breweries.

Waiting for @RichTheVillan input to this thread.

1 Like

I have to say that the Cloudwater thing has passed me by. I seem to be at just above my average mark for them and I seem to find other ‘Craft’ Brewers scoring higher with me. I do try to ignore the fact that their crappy early naming systems used to drive me to distraction and I had a few run ins with them and their protagonists, however they are not unique in this matter.

3 Likes

It’s Cloudwater’s barrel aged and mixed fermentation beers that are my main interest. The person now in charge of that side of things (Hopbomber on here) is producing some world class stuff in my humble opinion.

Always happy to give their core range and hoppy beers a punt too. If I’m spending a few bob on a mix of beers I’ll hope they’re going to be dependably good, and Cloudwater don’t usually disappoint.

3 Likes

Agreed! We buy a lot of them. Great quality!

1 Like

Although I’ve rated 100+ breweries better than CW I have yet to see European brewer which does such a good job with so many different styles. And on that scale.

I’d compare them to Firestone Walker.

1 Like

Heard good things about the mixed ferm stuff, not had chance to try yet. But other than that… meh. New but near identical joose releases every other day. ‘Sours’ that are anything but (again, not tried the mixed ferm, but the kettle unsours…). Hype over substance, not surprising when you had the bloggers bleating about how good they are pretty much before they’d released a beer.

DIPA V2 in about 2013 was really good, mind

2 Likes

Could have summed up this thread without reading the above

• not my kind of beer (don’t drink it then)
  • costs too much (its not 1989 in the Shoulder of Mutton… barrel aging etc increases production costs … oh and its 2021 … put your money elsewhere)
  • folks who don’t like to conform and sneer at popular/successful breweries

NEXT !

5 Likes

To be fair I was drinking heavily when I posted this. I like them at the moment as I guess at the end of the day I’m a reasonably middle of the road guy.

1 Like

Whatever people think about Cloudwater and ok they might be a little bit pricey, but I agree with some of the others, they just do their stuff and consistently make fantastic beers across the styles, I rarely have anything from them that I haven’t enjoyed, I think from a UK perspective they are God Tier. I have a West Coast IPA from them in the fridge from the White Hag Boxstravaganza of 24 beers that I was kindly sent from a good friend in Eire, Glen you will know him, it is Steve Matthews, who moved to Eire with Trish, we keep in touch quite a lot. But this West Coast IPA and the Rock Leopard West Coast IPA, are the beers that I am looking forward to most.

2 Likes

Last I heard about Steve he was living on a narrow boat somewhere up north. Sounds like he is getting on okay. I must get in touch with him.

Yes we were meant to meet up at a gig last year in Berlin, New Model Army but of course it was cancelled and then again this year, it will now take place in 2022. Yes he moved to Eire about 5-6 months ago now, cannot recall the name of the place off the top of my head, but it looks super nice, ironically it is right near a canal about 45 minutes to the west of Dublin as I recall. I am having a zoom chat with him on Saturday I will pass on a message if you wish

1 Like

I really liked their early hoppy things, but then they kind of went meh. To me they are kind of like many highly rated Polish beers: locals like them and hype them, but I know that I will not enjoy them that much.

1 Like

In my limited experience, I’ve found their beers to be decent - but then I’m not a connoisseur by any stretch! Fair to say they’re making better beers than Marston’s …

1 Like

Yes please Fin. Give him my best wishes.

I beg to differ. I would rather drink Owd Rodger, Old Empire or Bass than any of the 20 Cloudwater beers I’ve drunk

Each to their own, and that’s the beauty of beer. Don’t think I’ve ever had Owd Roger, I’ll have to hunt it down and give it a try

1 Like