Cloudwater Beer Celebration

Not good news at all. I imagine this post will come a bit late for anyone here who is planning to visit today, although im sure there are plenty of fringe events going on.

If nothing else they should be able to claim against the managing agent for financial loss.

Was traveling there today but head about it before I bought a train ticket, so decided not to go as these fringe events won’t be able to cope with the 700 or so extra people wanting to drink

Yesterday was great. And possibly of it running elsewhere about 2. But yeah what stress

Whatever they cobble together now will be chaos, because it has to be at another venue as it could be 1200 people. To breakdown a festival and set up somewhere else in a few hours seems impossible to me. Cloudwater have fucked up monumentally for me and trying to blame others, licensing is on the first page of organising a beer festival

3 Likes

I said that when this was announced I probably would skip this year and see how they go … you never know for a first festival … usually learning curves and some kind of fuck up.

I remember Beaverfest 2017 running out of beer so early … whilst its hard to contrast the 2 years with many of the original brewers dropping out in 2018 it was better organised in year 2.

The other risk with a brand new Manchester festival for me was travel and accomodation costs if something did go awry … not necessarily cheap on the travel front from London!

Hope you didn’t lose too much on your train ticket?

I’m getting a refund on the festival ticket and I didn’t buy a train ticket, the major loss is the disappointment, apparently the festival went really well yesterday, so to fuck up on something as basic as licensing is unforgivable.

Also on Twitter anyone who criticises Cloudwater are getting jumped on which is really bizarre

yes I noticed that … fuck twitter #snow flake generation

1 Like

They’re back on … original venue

From twatter …

The city, and an incredible number of its top people have pulled every single stop. Never felt this much support, had this much encouragement. We are continuing at Upper Campfield. Session 3: 2:00pm-5:00pm (proportional refund for attendees) Session 4: delayed opening at 5:30pm

So session 3 the one I was going to is the only one missing out 3 hours instead of 4.5 hours

bit of a wars of time when you’re travelling up for just one session and you lose a third of the time !

1 Like

Happy for the folks who’ve already travelled though especially from overseas.

1 Like

With these festivals as well you can lose 30 minutes queuing

Got a feeling they’ve persuaded the council that the main conditions that are considered when granting a personal licence (noise / dusturbance, not serving minors, not serving drunks etc…) have been satisfied through an exceptional arrangement, likely involving council licence officers being present & watching over everyone. Hence them stressing that NO ONE will be served if they appear drunk. And probably asked to leave in complete silence.

Right now Cloudwater look like heroes on twitter when essential they’ve fucked up big time and the council have bailed them out, but to all their disciples it’s all the council and the police’s fault

3 Likes

Also didnt help when To Øl said on their facebook something along the lines of:

“seems the authorities dont like people having fun”

Plan your event properly & stop blaming others

2 Likes

I went to the first session yesterday and quite frankly thought it the best organized beer festival (of it’s type) that I’ve attended to date. In retrospect, clearly not. It will be interesting to hear how Fergus got on, who I believe may have been around on both days.

He was only there yesterday and if you only did the first session it must have seemed like a dream festival as only half full I believe!

Well having Done Session 2 on Frinday and eventually the cut short Session 3 on Saturday.

Id say on the whole it was well worth it. Clearly Cloudwater fucked up. From what i can gather the council own the building and told them it was licenced. But they didnt properly check this, and in fact they probably should have had a copy of the Licence to Hand.

So yeah MASSIVE fuck up, but again for all that can be gathered they went all out working all through night and contacting anyone and everyone to try and get it back on track.

Was really inconvient as staying with friends my plan was to spend time with them that went belly up. But also really impressed they managed to pull anything together

What was your refund option for the lost time session 3 ?