Coors Bottle Caps: False Advertising?

So, on the bottom of the bottle cap of the stub bottles of Coors Banquet is the follow phrase:

“Brewed one way for 140 years”

Does that mean they’ve always distilled their beer to a concentrate and then used local water in other breweries outside Colorado to re-hydrate it sufficiently to bottle and distribute? Is it an indication that they’ve stopped doing that and returned to their traditional brewing practices? Or are they just lying?

I’m going to also go out on a limb here that they are not using their original recipe or the same equipment and procedures in other regards either.

It kind of annoys me that companies can make claims like this that are just obvious BS. Don’t we have truth in advertising and consumer protection laws anymore? Or have we just stopped enforcing them?

I like some under the bottle cap writing as much as the next guy, but just use a fortune cookie type phrase like Magic Hat or “Cheers!” like Sam Adams Summer Lager has started doing. Even a catchphrase would be fine. But don’t lie to me. It tries my patience and makes me less likely to buy your product in the future.

1 Like

This is not the UK.

“When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. The Federal Trade Commission enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses. The FTC looks especially closely at advertising claims that can affect consumers’ health or their pocketbooks …”

But …

“While there have been a number of cases upholding laws that declared false statements to be illegal, Kennedy said that those cases all involved some “legally cognizable harm associated with the false statement.” In other words, it wasn’t the lying itself that justified those laws — it was the harm caused by the lying.”

Lying is a first amendment right!!!