Cotts/Notts/Birmingham Convention VII - SAT JULY 8th 2023

Do Blue Monkey have more than 1 venue?

I’ve always quite liked their beers as a trad brewer … seems the one venue tied to them on RB isn’t well regarded.

Looking at train times in more detail I should be able to get up to Birmingham for the 1049 Nottingham arrives 1204 … so lets say provisionally meet in Beerheadz 12 for 1230 and head off by the latter

There’s one in Nottingham proper and one in Arnold. Plus the ones in Loughborough and Newark. They are all fairly similar though (personally i like the Loughborough the best but honestly not much between them). I would say while there are a few good pubs up Arnold way it’s not really worth the detour with so much else centrally.

2 Likes

I was going to write a big email but basically I second everything Chris said so I will just say that

1 Like

I’ve booked the Friday off. May actually stay the night in Nottingham because I can then dump my bag in the hotel and not have to worry about a late check-in at Brum*.

*Once arrived at a hotel in Birkenhead to be told that they’d overbooked and no rooms left.

1 Like

How reputable a hotel was your Birkenhead place out of interest ?

Was this before the days of paying in advance ?

It was a Travel Lodge or similar. About 8 years ago. Was up there with my wife and in-laws. My m-i-l had rung up to say we would be arriving late. The guy who was queueing behind us also got turned away. Ended up driving to another one in Colwyn Bay and my father-in-law eventually got a full refund about 6 months later.

Update for the Birmingham leg

A complete rewrite of the itinerary as Rich has confirmed it is in fact the Cotteridge Wines birthday bash … so we will convene there for the birthday specials … if not to have our tasting!

New plan …

0900-1000 Briar Rose spoons for early arrivals

1000-1050 Wellington

1100-1140 North Brewing

Uber to Cotts

1200-1300 Cotts

1310-1350 Glasshouse

Uber to Halton Turner

1410-1450 HT

1500 approx to 1800 approx Tilt

Rich has also been reliably informed that Bundobust WILL be open by then

1815-1915 approx for ticks and eats

1920-1950 Sommar Brew on waterloo st

@RichTheVillan has kindly secured 10 tickets for the Cotts birthday bash. It’s free but a ticket only event … so time to firm up if you think you will want a ticket for this.

As always this is a suggested itinerary to visit as many venues as possible.

Feel free to join for some or all and spin your own version around the above if you want to spend more time at certain locations.

4 Likes

I am in Brum next week and have spent half the day putting together a PowerPoint presentation for that. To relieve myself from that tedium I’ve booked everything. The thought of having to get up less early convinced me to book a hotel in Brum on the Friday night.

On another point, would people be interested in Thomas Hardy’s Ale (1979) or is that something everyone will have ticked already?

1 Like

That could be a good move

Potential further tweak to the Saturday itinerary

Rich informed me at the weekend that there’s a new venue in Digbeth … hopefully it will fill the void left by Digbrew to some degree

The Barrel Store – Attic Brew Co.

Rich is going to scope it out in the coming weeks

What we could do is this place and Halton Turner on the Friday night when we arrive from Notts

Then take HT out of the Saturday schedule to build some slack into it or even grab half an hour at Burning Soul … usually enough to take down the half dozen on tap as a team

2 Likes

If you’re talking this entry

Eldridge Pope Thomas Hardy’s Ale (up to 1999) • RateBeer

Yes please … I shared a bottle 20 odd years ago but have never rated

1 Like

Turns out the new Attic Barrel store is NOT in Digbeth

It’s under the arches of Snow Hill station

Therefore expect a little more tinkering with the schedule to see what we can fit in

2 Likes

Thats a shame in a way. Digbeth could certainly use a shot in the arm bar-wise. However any new establishment is a cause for celebration.

1 Like

Trains booked this morning.

3 Likes

I definitely in for both days. I booked the time off work and everything!!

2 Likes

We have 7 names on the tickets for Cotts

Theydon
RTV
Sarky
Mr Frog
Mr Pink
Bearded Avenger
Harrisoni

Still 3 available for anyone wanting to join in

you heading home after Notts and day tripping to Brum?

1 Like

At the moment planning both as day trips.

Where are people staying in Birmingham?

One for me please. Many thanks!

2 Likes

8 now

Theydon
RTV
Sarky
Mr Frog
Mr Pink
Bearded Avenger
Harrisoni
Cheeseboard