County Stat Attack Week 1 - Warwickshire

Grand total of 4 beers, all but one from Aldi - the only ‘proper’ one is from Purity (I’ve had a few of theirs over the years, but only recently had, and rated, the Session IPA). Ambition is to reach double figures by Christmas, and not just by smashing Aldi-fare! Just need the pubs to re-open :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Talking of DruncanVeasey, it looks like he has ducked out from here in May, a real shame, some of the most interesting ratings on our site, I loved reading them and he is way out in front of Raters living in Warwickshire. Hope he comes back to us one day.

1 Like

I’d go with weekly. After a day or two most interested people will probably have replied.

2 Likes

Just a few facts about Warwickshire.
We have 43 breweries registered on here (6 of which are Commissioners / Clients), 27 open, 16 closed. The oldest still remaining open is Church End at a relatively young 26 years old. They have also produced the most beers recorded on here at 314.
There used to be a measure of highest rated Breweries but I can’t find that now, closest thing I can find is that Purity was the highest rated for 2019 in Warks.

The top 10 beers are

1. Clouded Minds Double Clout Stout
  2. Purity Saddle Black (Cask, Keg & Can)
  3. Purity Longhorn
  4. Clouded Minds Clout Stout
  5. Atomic Fission
  6. Sperrin Thick as Thieves
  7. Church End Gaelic Coffee
  8. Purity Session IPA
  9. Church End Grave Diggers Ale
  10. Marston’s Harpers Coffee Stout

The Top Rated Places are

1. Norman Knight, Whichford - 80
  2. Holly Bush, Alcester - 80
  3. Warwick Real Ale - 80
  4. Rugby Tap Room - 79
  5. Wild Boar, Warwick - 79
3 Likes

I was planning to put an order in with Warwick Real Ale during lockdown #1 and pick up and array of new breweries but then noticed that they only did local delivery.

(Although that does not appear to be the case now.)

1 Like

Happy to go with one county a week, German Bundeslander after that, then US States; it’ll be 2023 by the time we’ve finished and can even ‘do’ Canada before starting again in England.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

I agree with everyone else, 1 a week is sensible as most of us seem to visit the forums once a week. Fortnightly will probably drag it out too much.

Another idea for after each county is done: Islands
shouldn’t be too hard for people to get their totals

• Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man (all 3 are separate “countries” here)
  • Isle of Wight (already a separate county)
  • Orkney and Shetland (included in Scotland, but I don’t think there’s many breweries there so it would just be a case of checking each one for number of ticks)
2 Likes

I don’t want to keep beating the (skin) drum but clearly Anglo-Saxon Britain is a key one.

PS - I can do the islands off the top of my head - something like 4; 4; 3; 4; 4.

2 Likes

I definitely think that certainly our part of Oxfordshire would have been in Mercia, apt that we are currently discussing Warwickshire as that would certainly be Mercia. Nothing stopping the greater area chats going on alongside.

1 Like

Gibraltar as well?

2 Likes

Yeah, why not!

1 Like

I was given three bottles of that Gib beer and posted one to London and one to Brum. A lot of the raters on here can thank my friend who brought them back for me to share.

Annoying thing is I’m not even in the top 50 and I gave everyone else their tick!
https://www.ratebeer.com/most-by-country/gibraltar/81/

<*))))))><

I’m up for once a week, especially if @imdownthepub is ok to open with the same great stats for each county as he’s just done!

I’ve tried two of the top 10 beers listed in those stats but not visited any of the places. My personal fave Warwickshire brew to date is Purity Longhorn (scored 4.1).

2 Likes

Certainly will, I’ll put them up front.

3 Likes

I’m doing the stats for the East Midlands, so I think dropping the occasional regional / Anglo-Saxon stat just adds to the fun.

1 Like

17 Warwickshire ticks for me. Church End is my tops and then Purity, Slaughterhouse and Sperrin all tied. Also 0 Aldi, can’t tell I avoid that place can you?

1 Like

Anybody going to target Warwickshire after this thread; has it ignited a burning desire to rise up through the ratings and challenge Glen (@imdownthepub) as the ‘top rater’?

<*))))))><

Zero for me. Missing anything?

2 Likes

Not missing a great deal to be honest @solidfunk, some lovely towns and villages to visit with decent pubs, but the local beer scene isn’t as good as it could be.

<*))))))><

1 Like

41 Warwickshire rates for me, around 34 of which are ciders

1 Like