County Stat Attack Week 10 - Derbyshire

At 72 rates for Derbyshire, with top rated Buxton Rain Shadow 11.8% at 4.1

For ciders, there are 11 active cideries in Derbyshire, the most prolific is Ashover Cider company with 6 ciders. Have got to the top of the list for cideries with 6 rated and also for Derbyshire cider ratings with 10, quite afew were picked up at an enjoyable day trip down to visit the Chesterfield Beer & Cider festival at the Winding Wheel theatre afew years back which had a good selection of local ciders.

2 Likes

Sorry but due to the Scottish regions roll out I wasn’t able to put together an extra point of interest for Derbyshire.

1 Like

Glen, no problem mate; just get a grip for the next one!

<*))))))><

1 Like

All will be ready for the next installment on Tuesday morning. Derbyshire will be hard to match though.

2 Likes

Better late than never I guess - here’s my stats…

Derbyshire is mid-table for me with 31 ratings - so miles away from the top 50. It’s my second highest scoring county though, with an average rating of 3.4 - so I clearly need to get some more Derbyshire beers in!

My top Derbyshire beers are:
Thornbridge Wild Raven 4.4
Buxton Imperial Black 4.2
Buxton Extra Porter - Costa Rican Coffee 4.2
Howard Town Dark Peak 3.8
Thornbridge Jaipur 3.8
Thornbridge / Magic Rock Yelamu 3.8

I’ve tried 11 Derbyshire breweries; the most rated are (unsurprisingly) Thornbridge with 14 rates, and Buxton with 5.

I’ve rated 6 places; my highest rating was for the Town Street Tap in Duffield.

I’ve been to Derbyshire quite a few times (mainly for walking trips), so I’m surprised I haven’t rated more beers and places here. It’s got a cracker of a highest point - the bizarre Kinder Scout, a 9 square mile sheer-sided flat plateau. The edges are lined with wonderful rock sculptures - unfortunately the high point is in the midst of the peat bogs filing the interior of the plateau, marked by nothing more a stick and a couple of small stones (fortunately the peat bogs were pretty dry when we bagged it)!

Hills aside (and there’s a lot of brilliant hills!), my favourite places in the county are:

• Winnats Pass and the caves of Castleton
  • the lovely towns of Buxton & Bakewell
  • the Chestnut Centre Otter Sanctuary (although sadly I see this wonderful place has recently closed).
3 Likes

So pleased that you have come in with the walking and climbing details. My experiences of Kinder Scout have been quite different to yours by the looks, I’ve done it twice, glutton for punishment, neither time have I managed to see anything. When I did the Pennine Way, Kinder Scout was absolutely murky, wet and windy. The Downfall was an Upfall, basically blowing the stream back over my head. The path was difficult to follow as it was all under water. Basically I’ve given the thing a go and that will be enough now.
The Castleton area is indeed very beautiful and some very decent pubs thrown in as well.

Yep, we were lucky for Kinder Scout (it’s worth trying again, it’s stunning in good weather!). But we’ve been less lucky in other parts of the Peak District (spent an hour on Margery Hill fighting our way out of a peat bog in torrential rain!).

So… Are you going to start mixing the Scottish regions in with the English counties, or will you do them afterwards?

1 Like

Judging by some of the Scottish region scores posted in the other thread, my own included, I’m not sure there will be a whole lot for the active posters in the English regions thread to talk about !

Maybe let the Scottish raters organise a thread themselves if they are interested ?

I’m looking at doing them afterwards, unless, hopefully, a Scottish Ratebeerian takes up the baton before then. I was going to combine them in with Islands and crossing fingers, we can get Wales and Northern Ireland up and running before then.

2 Likes

Here’s Ayrshire … I’ve had one beer … it was at the Barrow Hill Beer festival in 2016

4 Likes

I can beat that… here’s mine for Ayrshire, Fife, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire:

Would love that, especially Wales. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It will take another 36 weeks to get through England, loads of ‘new stuff’ may be on RB by then. October is a long way off, so this discussion can be brought up again closer to the finish of the English counties; If Scotland is to be the next subject, I would hope a Scottish chap will come forward to front his country and regions to take the pressure off you Glen.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

81 Derbyshire beer ratings for me. The top 5:

Thornbridge Hall Bracia 4.5 4.05 8/12/2012
Buxton Rain Shadow 2019 4.4 3.87 9/13/2020 9/13/2020
Thornbridge Hall Courage Russian Imperial Stout 4.3 3.95 11/7/2013
Whim Flower Power 4.2 3.51 8/21/2008
Thornbridge Eldon
2 Likes

Guess I never posted. Not much to add, 29 ratings mostly Thornbridge and Buxton. I’ve got a few in my stock but nothing that will give me a huge jump in numbers.

2 Likes

I notice a fair number of people saying things along the lines of “I think I need to visit Derby”. Well, you’re welcome to join me on the next instalment of the Never Ending Piub Crawl ! I’ll post on here as soon as I know when it will be.

6 Likes

Marvellous idea Martin. A Ratebeer day out in Derby would be just the tonic we need.

1 Like

Yes … I will be up for more beer meet ups once lockdown eases

I’m also up for taking Fridays off work as seen as I probably won’t touch my 2021 leave until July

4 Likes

@Martinsh, any chance you could find a pub/venue that would let us open a couple of our own beers in their establishment? After buying some of their beers first of course.

Pub crawls are great, but a mini tasting session is always a bonus!

<*))))))><

1 Like

The Thornbridge Tap Room might be up for that?