County Stat Attack Week 13 - East Yorkshire

East Yorkshire is a pretty tough county for rates. Surprised that my measly 24 rates get me on the board at 47th. I do try to seek out East Yorks breweries, but I rarely see them outside of beer festivals when there’s often something more tempting.

I’ve rated 10 breweries, 7 active and 3 closed. Atom is the most rated with 8, I’ve not had more than 3 of any other brewery.

While the quantity is low, the quality is decent. My top 5 beers are:

Atom Dark Alchemy (3.8)
Half Moon Bark At The Moon (3.6)
Gene Pool Black Rubus (3.6)
Wellington Inn Stanley (3.5)
Crafty Little Brewery Silk Stout (3.5)

My four place rates come from an overnight stay in Hull. Sadly two are closed, including the joint top Wellington Inn (82). Good to see that the memorably lovely Wm Hawkes (82) is still going. These rates were almost 7 years ago to the day. I would imagine that the Hull scene has improved considerably since then. I have to say that this county is not at the top of my list for visiting after COVID.

3 Likes

Not 100% sure why I mentioned the place in Grimsby when talking about Hull, by the way! Not exactly a quick hop away. Although a visit to Hull is probably the closest I’ll ever get to Grimsby…

2 Likes

East Yorkshire for me is another English county that is way below average in many areas. In terms of it’s Yorkshire neighbours for me it ranks a very distant 4th. There are some ok sights Beverley being high up the list and Hull better than I expected. The scenery is not as dramatic as it’s neighbours but some of the coastline is pleasant. Loz’s Mum and Dad lived near Driffield in a really, really lovely and huge house (it was a cheap area) which I guess would be classed as on the wolds in the 90’s, it was about 15-20 mins from Bridlington, which is one of those places that out of season can be really depressing, to be fair it’s fairy depressing in season as well. Having said that I quite like British seaside towns out of season. I guess that I have explored the area a little and been to quite a few places but suspect that many of those would be pre-RB, I’ll look in a but. In terms of beer ratings, I am on 24 rates, so the same as @jjsint and so swishing around at the bottom of the top 50.

Breweries with most ratings

Wold Top 9
Atom 6
Old Mill 3
Bone Machine 1
Great Newsome 1

East Yorkshire sits 1 place above last week’s much maligned Surrey and so languishes in almost equally pitiful 42nd place :disappointed: in my county ratings. Oh wow… rather interestingly I have no place ratings… :relaxed: :upside_down_face: but like I mentioned earlier I have been to quite a few places but likely before joining this site.

My top five beers are

Bone Machine Garden of Death 4.1
Atom/Doctors Orders Isotope 4.0
Garden Liquid Lobotomy 3.8
Wold Top A4 Amber 3.7
Atom Mars 3.7

6 Likes

On a side note, the only place that’s had me visiting the area in the last few years is a chip shop in Hornsea called Whitehead’s. Best haddock and chips I’ve ever had!

2 Likes

You should go to Grimsby and Cleethorpes if you want the best Haddock & Chips.

In fact Grimsby is twinned with Las Vegas, they are both places where you can pay for your prostitute with Chips!

<*))))))><

4 Likes

Best Fish and Chips for me was from The Pilot, Lydd on Sea, Dungeness it was many, many years ago but wow it was fantastic, enormous portion of fish completely overhanging the plate on both sides. I know that The Magpie Café in Whitby gets a lot of love and I’ve been a couple of times and it was very nice but for me a victim of it’s own success and too touristic.

My 3 most memorable fish and chips … in no particular order were Bromley, Grimsby and Whitby

1 Like

I’m going to go Banbury, Fleetwood and Looe.

I can’t remember its name but there’s a chippy in the town centre that does the best I’ve had. Always find fish & chips to be the most boring fast food but theirs was lovely. A fish shop in Cottingham also sold fish and chips on a Friday - it was always annoying that they were only open one day a week and sold out if you didn’t get there quick enough. There was also a deli that did amazing roast beef and gravy cobs, and I seem to remember the Indian restaurant being very good. So when I actually get around to going to Hull again I’ll have to pay Cottingham a visit.

Best fish and chips were in St Agnes in Cornwall. A very close second were our local chippy in Bedford, weirdly called Golden Chicken BBQ even though they didn’t sell chicken.

I did have decent fish and chips in Hull although I remember wondering what the fuck is a bread cake.

I remember going into a bakery and asking for a, “Cheese roll.” That was met with, “A what?” So I had to confirm, "Oh sorry, I mean ‘cheese cob.’ My mate who was from Leicester then asked for a cheese roll, which was again answered with, “A what?”

1 Like

Your mate go to boarding school ?

When I was growing up in Leicestershire it was very much a cob, or perhaps a bap !

1 Like

Oh Christ, let’s not have the breadcake, cob, roll, bap conversation!

It’s a breadcake

Well, in Coventry it’s a Batch apparently.

<*))))))><

Maybe you needed the local word for cheese?

Is Melton Mowbray posh?

Peterborough are The Posh, Melton Mowbray is a Pie Town.

<*))))))><

Right, a Cheese Roll story.

I had just watched England’s football team lose 3-1 to Russia in Frankfurt during the 1988 European Championship. My train back to Berlin wasn’t for a while and I was hanging around the railway station waiting for it to arrive.

I wondered into a bakery kiosk on a platform and it was full of English fans, all pretty miffed with the result and our shitty performance during the game. I eventually got to the front of the never ending queue and ordered a “Kase Brochen mit Zwielbel, Bitte” (Cheese Roll with Onion, Please). Well, you could have heard a pin drop, everyone in there, including the staff, all stared at me in that aggressive way angry people do, like ‘how dare a German come in here’?

Luckily I had my wits about me and declared “I’d have been fluent in German if we’d progressed to the Final” (or something similar). This defused the situation and we all smiled again.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

well … they’re kind of the ‘county types’ … more Tigers than City !

Right, here’s my vital stats for East Yorkshire…

I’ve had a meagre 14 beers from the county; my 6th lowest county, leaving me well outside the top 50.

My top 5 beers are:
|Atom Blend 1 - Camomile|3.8|
|Spotlight Fragile X|3.8|
|Great Newsome Incapability Brown|3.7|
|Wold Top Ditto|3.7|
|Atom Pale Ale|3.6|

I’ve tried 7 breweries; I’ve had most beers (albeit just 3) from Wold Top.

I’ve rated 2 places; the best (although still only rated 3.2) was the Seabirds Inn in Flamborough.

I’ve stayed in East Yorkshire once - we stayed in Flamborough. Really liked the whole of the Flamborough headland; a nice bit of coast where we saw loads of seals. The gannets at the bird reserve on the north coast were spectacular.

I’d agree that Beverley is a lovely town, but I don’t remember many other places in the county standing out while we were there - we actually probably had more days out across the border in North Yorkshire. Sadly we decided Spurn Head was a bit too far to drag the elderly in-laws, so that fascinating place remains on my bucket list.

The highest point of the East Yorkshire is not one of the more exciting ones - a hummock amongst trees just off the A166. Hull is now a separate unitary authority, and the high point of that is even worse - it’s the lowest of all the county and unitary high points at just 12m above sea level, and it lies on a rubbish-strewn path in the suburb of South Field.

My best fish and chips experience was not in East Yorkshire, but instead a close run contest between chippys in Margate and Southend, or the fantastic pub at Carsethorn in Dumfries & Galloway.

3 Likes