County Stat Attack Week 22 - Lincolnshire

Not such a good one for me is Lincolnshire. Just 63 beers on Ratebeer from 18 breweries.

A visit ahead of lockdown 1 to Grimsby netted me 10 beers from Dock brewery which is the second most I’ve had from any one brewery. Bateman’s with 17 comes in at number one

I’ve been to a few places for football visiting both Lincoln teams, Grimsby, Brigg and Boston watching AFC Telford Utd over the years. I think Dock Beers is the best of the venues I’ve been to although a couple of spots in Lincoln were pretty good.

2 Likes

Better late than never.

Ah…Lincolnshire. Ok so what about it. Back in my late teens in that other working life (Swimming Pool,Tiler and Finisher) I must have spent the best part of two months in a B&B in Skegness with 100’s of other contractors all over the town as Butlins were revamping all of their swimming pool complexes so we spent maybe most of December and January there, it would have been after the Shap, Cumbria job I think so about 1988 ‘ish’? I recall it was an exceptionally cold winter, heavy snow on that biting east coast that year us prevented us from driving home one weekend and coupled with exceptionally low temperatures meant we couldn’t work as the diesel had frozen solid in our vehicles and things like sand, cement, adhesive and glue (for pipework) were either solid if outside or wouldn’t set, we whiled our time away playing a lot of snooker, darts and drinking beer. I’ve returned to that same Butlins about 8-9 years ago to one of the Great British Folk Weekenders, actually just checked it was December 2012. We walked the lengthy walk into Skegness, it’s a little bit of a sad place, we couldn’t believe the amount of mobility scooters, pound shops and world weary faces of the locals. I’ve been to Lincoln which I really liked, stopped at a campsite a few miles out of town, also had a nice night around Stamford with Nigel from Hopshackle brewery and his friend, we camped on his drive in the camper.

I have rated a total of 87 beers from Lincolnshire placing me in a respectable 22nd position.

My top rated beers are dominated by the Hopshackle.

Hopshackle Double Momentum 4.1
Hopshackle Resination 4.0
Hopshackle Restoration 4.0
Hopshackle Vertigo VF 3.9
Hopshackle Experimental No:3 3.9
Hopshackle Black Mule 3.9
Austendyke Bakeshaw 3.9

I’ve rated 15 breweries of which 4 are no longer in operation.

Breweries with most ratings

Hopshackle 27
Batemans 26
Lincolshire Craft Beers (prev’ Tom Woods) 6
Brewsters 5
Newby Wyke 5

• Leila Cottage 4

• I recall we went here when in Skegness in 2012 and had Sunday Roast and tried their beers.

1 place ratings for Lincolnshire, the aforementioned Leila Cottage, I am surprised that I didn’t rate any Lincoln or Stamford pubs.

4 Likes

Still catching up! Another great write up followed by a lot of interesting comments and experiences. Only 20 metres, really?

I have never visited Lincolnshire but I’ve managed to rate 54 beers, making it 36th out of 46 English counties. This places me 39th out of the top 50 list - ok for now, but probably need to look at finding more Lincolnshire beers in the next year.

The average score for a Lincolnshire beer of 3.24 puts it in the bottom half dozen in the whole of England. This is probably skewed by the fact that about half of the ratings are from 8 Sail which were nearly all, to a man, bought via Beers Of Europe. No disrespect to either the brewery or the merchant - I just feel that many of these regional breweries perform better on cask drunk locally than they do in bottle conditioned scenarios.

Unlike many of my Ratebeer friends above, I have not tasted a beer which I would call a 4. My top rated beer is 8 Sail Imperial Porter (rating = 3.8).

The low average and lack of a score of 4 are definitely due to the small sample size I have.

I have holiday-ed in all English counties going up the coast north of Lincolnshire, so surely Lincolnshire isn’t too far down the road…

3 Likes

@AshtonMcCobb, I think a lot of the 8 Sail beers taste like ‘Home Brew’ made by a mate who you don’t want to upset. I’ve been to a mini-festival at the brewery and bought bottles from Beers of Europe, cask is defo better, but still a bit 'Home Brew!

<*))))))><

1 Like

That’s a good way of summarising my experiences. And brewers like them can get away with a great number of faults, in the maltier styles.

1 Like

Always on the lookout for a new brewery, thought I’d bagged one here - schoolboy error, Salem Brew ain’t a new brewery, just Batemans badging up as someone else, grrrr

5 Likes

Wow … skull and cross bones … American… in a bottle… I’m sure they nailed a classic IPA … was it even 5% … just see 5.5 on label… so an APA then in reality!? NOTE… No hops were harmed in the production of this beer!

With no fewer than five hop varieties in the brew, this is a belter of a blended, slow matured, pale ale – yet it’s perfectly balanced. The bitter-sweet, citrus fruit flavour gives way to a smooth aftertaste, making this is a really moreish beer. Skull & Hammers is small-batch brewed, meaning there’s a limited amount available at any given time – so don’t miss out!

<*))))))><

When they say 5 hop varieties I don’t disbelieve them … however that would just be 5 hops in total for the entire batch!

Trad breweries should just stick at what they do well !

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/batemans-skull-and-spanners/526542/

<*))))))><

blending XXB’s ! Ha ha.

I actually have fond early drinking memories involving Batemans … We often used to do the Easter and May bank holiday Mondays in Skeg when I was 16/17/18 … used to pop to the Vine Hotel after a game of football.

Also been to the windmill at Wainfleet once.

1 Like

My parents used to live 6 miles from the brewery, been drinking Batemans all my life. Got really upset when they dropped the ABV of their XXXB from 4.9% to 4.5%.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Better late than never - I’ve been the county once, a overnight stay in Lincoln back in 1998. The tail end of a 6,000 mile road trip via Ireland & Scotland in a beat up Ford Orion I’d inherited from my granddad. Really enjoyed visiting Lincoln, the cathedral is just stunning. I also visited Boston the following day, wish my timing had coincided with a game at York Street.

This all was long before my serious beer rating, and since beers from the county have been very thin on the ground - just the 6 from Batemans

|Batemans XXXB (Bottle)|3.5|3.2|3/17/2021||
|Batemans Dark Lord (Bottle)|3.2|3.21|3/11/2021||
|Batemans Victory Ale (Bottle)|3.2|3.16|4/25/2021||
|Batemans Mocha (Bottle & Keg)|3.1|3.32|4/25/2021||
|Batemans Combined Harvest (Bottle)|3|2.9|4/25/2021||
|Batemans XB (Cask)|3|2.89|4/25/2021|

I’d be keen to get a revisit to Lincoln, timing it to take in a game at Sincil Bank

2 Likes

Get yourself to Blundell Park (the Fans Zone has local Dock Beers) and watch a proper team, plus Cleethorpes has some good beer venues.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Is Cleethorpes Lincolnshire? Not according to the google map of the county. Because I have already been in 2001 on a 30 match ground hopping tour. A great mid week game in typical October weather.
I guess Scunthorpe also is in the county, I went there in 2010 to watch a game & took in a couple of pubs, 1 very close to the ground which I stayed above, now I see it’s sadly closed.

|Berkeley Hotel (CLOSED)|74|70|11/17/2021||
|Blue Bell (JDW)|70|69|11/17/2021|

Yes, both Scunny and Cleethorpes are in Lincolnshire, as is Grimsby.

<*))))))><

1 Like