County Stat Attack Week 27 - South Yorkshire

Not owning a mobile phone means I can’t get an Uber by myself (I think there is one in Telford).

However I’ve been in them both in London and California, I’ve had no issues with other people ordering and paying for them! So defo cheaper than taxi’s for me!

<*))))))><

1 Like

Almost forgot about this week’s county ! And I really ought to reply because I am a graduate of Sheffield University back in the days of the Democratic People’s Republic of South Yorkshire, before Ratebeer was a glint in anyone’s eye.

More recently my brother lived there for a while (introduced him to the Sheffield Tap), and I had a friend who did a PhD at Hallam. Visited several hostelries in the Kelham Island area, and others that he recommended – and singularly failed to be overwhelmed by any of them ! And I agree with most others that South Yorkshire means Sheffield in beer terms, though I do recall a couple of decent pubs in Doncaster, and I’ve veen been drinking in Barnsley once.

I’ve visited both Hillsborough and Bramall Lane – the latter to see Crewe Alex totally dominate the game but lose 1-0 in the last minute.

As far as ratings go, I’ve rated 16 beers from 11 breweries – well outside the top 50.
Best being

Acorn Bullseye 3.9
Imperial One for the Road 3.9 – I’m the only person who has rated this !
Acorn Gorlovka 3.6
Blue Bee Coffee Milk Stout 3.6

Surprisingly the lowest I’ve rated a beer from South Yorkshire is 2.9 !

Looking back to my own records I see I have drunk 129 beers from 30 South Yorkshire breweries. The top listed ones being

Abbeydale 29
Acorn 16
Kelham Island 12

And I don’t actually like Kelham Island beers !

3 Likes

I am late again with a write up.

Ok South Yorkshire. Like many here, for me South Yorkshire is simply Sheffield to me, I haven’t really been anywhere else that I can think of, I have had maybe 4 or more visits to Sheffield over the years and have really enjoyed it, it is a great city and before Manchester, London and Bristol finally pulled their socks up I think that for many years Sheffield was the go-to destination for beer lovers in the UK, to be fair from what I read and what I recall it still occupies a lofty position and is a great short break option for beer fans.

When I last checked took this image I was in 21st place with 138 beers and sat sandwiched between RichtheVillan and BlackHaddock, so not too bad, though I think that l am likely to start slipping further and further down the ranks as Brexit makes UK beers more scarce for me.

Steel City fill half of the spaces in my top ten with a memorable Merton Festival beer that had been specially brewed for us in there. Acorn are another good brewery and they fill two slots, I was surprised they hadn’t got more and Heistcraft and Abbeydale one apiece. Like others I have found Abbeydale to be really hit or miss for me they are like the UK equivalent of Alvinne who can and do make fab’ beers but also make some shockers. I am not that familiar with many other breweries but St Mars of the Desert is one that really interests me.

My top places are all Sheffield and either 2008 or 2015 ratings, I remember the 2008 crawl I think that we walked or got the tram to the furthest point (would that have been Hillsborough Hotel?) and walked back into town hitting a few places en route. I think that I even remember picking up a beer from Gazza one day for our beer festival, not sure but I think that we went to Little Ale Cart or somewhere to pick up.

I haven’t done any walking tours, or sightseeing in particular so sorry South Yorkshire I feel like I have done you a disservice, it is just that for many, many years Loz lived in West Yorkshire and we also went there a lot as a kid so West Yorkshire has always been the draw for me.

Oh yes one football match, Worcester City were drawn away to Sheffield United in the FA Cup a few years back, to be honest there was never to be a fairytale ending as we were never really in the game, I think that we were comfortable beaten 3-0 or 3-1, but the pubs were great and fans were really good to chat to.

2 Likes

Funny you mention Heist, so far they aren’t a South Yorkshire brewery! They will be soon, but up til now beers have been brewed at their own place in Clowne which is over the border into Derbs, and contract brewed at a few other places, AFAIK all also in Derbs (possibly Notts as well?)

This is a limitation of sites such as this and Untappd, when a brewery moves all your rates move with it - I’ve been denied my San Marino country tick as the beers I had that were brewed there are now brewed over the border in Italy

2 Likes

South Yorkshire is the only of the 4 parts (Ridings?) I haven’t been too. So a quick catch up on it as follows.

It is my 16th most rated county with 125 ratings which is enough to put me 27th (just to point out that South Yorkshire is one of those counties with a high minimum threshold to make the list, yet once you get to 50th, then 40th and 30th aren’t that far away).

I think I entered the top 50 in lockdown 2020 when staying at home and ordering beer (and firepits, and pizza ovens and gazebos) online was all the rage. I’d been always a few rates below the threshold and never really closing the gap so a specific focus was required. Then I made a sizeable order from Craft & Berry in Sheffield and managed to make the list on the back of quite a few Abbeydale beers (some great, some bland as mentioned by other commentators). More recently, I ordered the full range from Little Critters which were solid but variable too.

Anyway, I’ve tasted 2 beers which I deemed to be worth a 4 or more.

Abbeydale Black Mass 4.0
Little Critters Great Danish 4.0
(the brewery in South Yorkshire that I’d cross the street to try is SMOD which hasn’t quite made a 4 for me yet but have two at 3.9 and they appear to be the most consistent).

Places - Craft & Berry (great online order and prices very keen)

I will need to visit so I can actually drink in a pub there.

2 Likes