County Stat Attack Week 34 - Greater London

Greater London is top of my English counties with 716 rates. Just higher than Nottingham in 2nd, and Lincolnshire almost 200 back in 3rd. As with most people I have had a fair number of high rated beers, the top ones are:

My 716 beers are from 81 breweries. The top rated ones are Beavertown with a average score of 3.71

I have had the most beers from:

Brewery Count
Brew By Number 67
Marks and Spencer 65
The Kernel 55

I have rated 43 places from Greater London, which is second only to my home county of Lincolnshire.

Top rated places for me are

Place Score
Red Hand 84
Cock Tavern 84
Mother Kellyā€™s Tap Room Bethnal Green (E2) 84

I have been to Bermondsey a few times, and had a great time there with @harrisoni just before an England v Sweden match. I remember London Calling Sweden was very busy. And met up with @beardedavenger on another trip. I tried the Hackney pub crawl (or some of it) suggested by @Leighton we started at BrewDog Dalston and ended at Mother Kellyā€™s Bethnal Green.

I definitely want to go back and explore more, and may even take a bus!!

7 Likes

Bit late to this one, though as a Londoner, it is unsurprisingly my biggest region. To no huge surprise, three of my top five are three of the ones closest to me - the very closest is now Ealing Brewing, but thatā€™s a lot younger. Mind you, if you add it together with the same brewerā€™s brewpub, itā€™s my #6.

Name Type Beer Count My Count Est.
Weird Beard Brew Co.
Ealing Microbrewery 242 118 2013
Fullerā€™s (Asahi)
Chiswick Commercial Brewery 190 104 1845
Fourpure Brewing Co. (Lion Co. - Kirin Holdings)
Bermondsey Commercial Brewery 225 61 2013
Marks & Spencer Stores
Paddington Commissioner 151 54 2011
Twickenham Fine Ales
Twickenham Microbrewery 81 48 2004

Needless to say, what with pandemics and family, Iā€™ve not been bimbling into town as often as I used to. :cry:

My top 10 London beers tells a tale, I guess - a rather dark one!!

8 Likes

bimbling is my new word for the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I happened to be living in North London around the time I joined RateBeer and started discovering craft beer just as all the breweries were starting up. Right place, right time I suppose. I kept an eye out for ā€˜craft beerā€™ chalked on A boards as back then (2010 - 2013) it quite often genuinely meant independent craft beer, from the handful of London start-ups, or imported American beer, rather than crap pretend beer.

Borough Wines in Stoke Newington was the nearest, Jacks off license was good and I made many a journey to Kris Wines. Jolly Butchers in Stoke Newington was a regular haunt. I once searched out the ā€˜best craft beer pubā€™ in London and Craft Beer Co in Clerkenwell (I think it was this one) came up. Barely open a year and with a house lager by Mikkeller at a fiver a pint. Cracking pork pies too. A couple of pints of unfiltered hells fresh at Camden Town brewery was great but I canā€™t really remember any other breweries having a bar like them back then.

When I moved out to Shropshire I still had to yo-yo back and forth to London and during those trips on the train Euston Tap was a godsend. An hour knocking back halves and a few for the train back.

Unsurprisingly my top ten seems dominated by beers I had years ago, when everything was new and immaculately produced beers were changing my world. Now I think itā€™s easy to take it for granted. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m starting to rate higher again.

I never used to rate places, but Iā€™m still surprised Iā€™ve only rated three. All classic pubs I went to during an afternoon visiting classic old london pubs:

Salisbury England, Greater London, Charing Cross 63 56 5/17/2019
Olde Mitre Tavern (Fullerā€™s) England, Greater London, Hatton Garden 79 74 5/15/2019
Cittie of Yorke (Sam Smithā€™s) England, Greater London, Holborn 69 82 5/15/2019**

9 Likes

Wow I am so far behind with these county stats. However London is certainly one of my favourite regions and cities in the UK. However I am one of those people who love London, but only on my terms, i.e. typically a short visit, day or weekend and then leave. I simply cannot imagine living in such a huge city, but visiting, on the other hand, is fantastic. In terms of beer, we used to visit regularly well before the craft revolution kicked off, at those times we were probably spending more time in many of the fantastic historic pubs that the capital has to offer, so the establishments run by Fullers, Sam Smiths and Youngs would have been regular haunts back then.

It always amazed me how slow London was to jump onboard the Craft beer juggernaut, the likes of Sheffield were streets ahead of London who were really, really late to the party, however when they joined wow! such an explosion in breweries, it was absolutely staggering. Along with many of the other veteran RBā€™ers here, it was great when Kernel started up, but for a while that was it and I donā€™t recall what order the rest come in but I think maybe Partizan and Four Pure followed and then the rest and all of a sudden Bermondsey exploded and suddenly the Beer Mile was a must tick beer thingā€¦ But whilst that area was becoming a destination, all of a sudden things started happening in Hackney, it really was incredible with places cropping up around there. Also I recall going to the original Beavertown venue when they had that smokehouse place and then but again in what seemed no time they had the huge place in Tottenham. London just went ballistic, I loved meeting all of the RB guys, I loved and still love the Craft Brew Coā€™ beer places, visiting the many taprooms and seeing an emergence of great bottle shops.

We used to take the camper down to London and either stop at Queens Park (near Chris and Ruth) wild camp on the street or Pickettā€™s Lock campsite, Edmonton, north of Tottenham, it was all very dependent on where we were visiting on a given weekend because we used to combine our trips to London with lengthy walks. Btw there is a great series of books (three volumes) called Londonā€™s secret walks, weā€™d pick an area, then a walk, start off with breakfast somewhere close by and walk for maybe 8-10km the books are so informative about the area. I loved the markets, I love the fact that London has so much green space and really even now seems just like a motley collection of towns and villages it really has so much character and for a big city (I may be biased of course) in terms of its diversity and when I mention diversity I mean in people, places, the whole package, it is unbeatable. Other things we liked, inclā€™ record shops (big shout out to Rough Trade East which was our favourite), going to gigs, museums and we loved walking and visiting the many places along the river. The Thames Tipple which I have mentioned many times before concluded in London, near the Thames Barrier, we visited so many great places on that multi year, many trips jaunt.

London totals

I sit in 27th place with 785 beers, a decent total but I suspect I will have slipped over the last 2-3 years and will continue to do so.

Top Beers

I am quite pleased that my top ten beers is actually quite diverse with 6 different breweries represented. I really miss Brodies and The Kernel is still world-class, Weird Beard quietly continues doing their thing, yes there are some great beers there.

London Places

I think that I have rated 73 places in London, however I look at my top ten and I think that there are a few that I would re-rate and change now, having said that there are some great places. Craft Beer Co Clerkenwel is a favourite, I probably havenā€™t been there for 3 years or more but I used to visit regularly, I was sad to see the Clapham venue close.

London Breweries

I have rated 72 breweries with The Kernel registering almost twice as many totals as my second place brewery (Fullers).

Ok that is London, a great city. I hope to get back here later in the year!

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been to London a few times, but not specifically ever for a beer trip. That said, London beer is distributed widely all over the UK. Itā€™s great to read about all of the history above and all the experiences of individuals on their London beer adventures.

Iā€™m a huge fan of Fullers and their vintage beers. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve also forgotten half the London beers Iā€™ve tried to this point.

Around 10 or so years ago (a little after Thornbridge, Brewdog and others, had somewhat shown the way), suddenly there seemed to be an explosion in London craft breweries.

A general impression around these, was that some were the real deal (The Kernel, BBN, etc) while others seem to be underwhelming and it looked a little bit like a London punter with a tonne of cash had invested in his mateā€™s dream of setting up a brewery, on the basis he did a little homebrewing and as far as the moneyed chap was concerned, his beer was great. So, in these early days I had quite a few beers from London which were beautifully packaged on the outside and bland when cracked open (Iā€™ll not mention this specific breweries). Anyway, thereā€™s still a huge wealth of brewing quality in the city of which Iā€™ve rated 17 at 4 and above. Those Iā€™ve rated above 4 are as follows.

Fullerā€™s Brewerā€™s Reserve No. 5 Oak Aged Ale 4.4
Beavertown Gerā€™onimo 4.3
Brodies Romanov Empress Stout (Rum barrelled) 4.2
Fullerā€™s Vintage Ale 2020 4.2
Fullerā€™s Vintage Ale 2019 4.1

Iā€™ve had a total of 514 beers from Greater London which is my county with most ratings. I am still outside the top 50. Another 49 beers would get me to 50th and since Iā€™m now down to only 3 counties to still achieve this goal, I think 2022 will be the year for achieving it. There didnā€™t seem a huge point in chasing it down sooner given the massive totals of the leading 10 or 20 raters. I will get to Greater London at some point for a beer trip. For now, there are more than enough London beers distributed nationally to get the job done!

7 Likes