Czech regions for split

Hello, we are trying to get more countries split into regions, starting forums to get agreement on how it should be done. Are these the best regions to do? 13?

Karlovy Vary
Liberec
Moravian- Silesian
The Pardubice
The Ústí
Vysočina
Zlín
South Bohemian
Hradec Králové
The Olomouc
The Pilsen
Central Bohemia
Southern Moravia

2 Likes

Regions of the Czech Republic - Wikipedia

Not sure any of them need a definite article in front, would drop the “The” - I’ve never seen them written like that in English before?
Also what about Prague?

I’d suggest this list:

Prague
Central Bohemia
South Bohemia
Plzeň
Karlovy Vary
Ústí nad Labem
Liberec
Hradec Králové
Pardubice
Vysočina
South Moravia
Olomouc
Zlín
Moravia-Silesia

Are there some active Czech users who can weigh in on this?

2 Likes

Seems ISO-3166-2 is using 14 (your 13 plus Prague?), including English subdivision names.

A few people to ask:
@marko . 10 armed admin
@Ascelja .Czech admin, maybe better to PM her as i dont think she uses the forum.
@Cuso .Another Czech admin.

1 Like

Yeah Slavic languages usually do not have the word “the” anyway.

1 Like

Eh, no.

LazyPyro’s proposal is more correct, not quite. If we are to be official:

Prague
Central Bohemian Region
South Bohemian Region
Plzeň Region
Karlovy Vary Region
Ústí nad Labem Region
Liberec Region
Hradec Králové Region
Pardubice Region
Vysočina
South Moravian Region
Olomouc Region
Zlín Region
Moravian-Silesian Region

It’s similar in Czech. Adjective + region (kraj), with Vysočina being an exception, along with Prague (or Hlavní město Praha / literally “the Capital city of Prague”).

I could survive the “region-less” version as well, but I’d check with the local locals first. :smiley:

1 Like

Funnily enough I think I’d copy and pasted that same list in my comment above, but I’d manually deleted the word “Region” from each one assuming it would be unnecessary for the purposes of brewery/place addresses and whatnot!

As a non-Czech I’m happy with the list of 14.
As for the naming, definitely defer this one to locals!

1 Like

Hah, I copy/pasted yours and added the missing parts actually. :smiley:

I’m just proud I could point out most of these on a map correctly. :smiley:

1 Like

We started discusiion about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the one I use in my records. I think it’s pretty accurate.

And I manually deleted the word “region” from my list, ha. Seems better, more consistent with other countries to delete the word region, but if it must stay, it must stay.

A fellow Slavic perspective: I recommended not including ‘voivodeship’ after every single voivodeship for Poland, at least. It results in region names like Silesian and Subcarpathian but I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem (US states also don’t have their full names like the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or the State of New York). The word ‘region’ would already be on the page anyway, so I reckon it’s fairly clear.

A compromise that we have brought out, and still correct.

Prague
Central Bohemia
South Bohemia
Plzeň Region
Karlovy Vary Region
Ústí nad Labem Region
Liberec Region
Hradec Králové Region
Pardubice Region
Vysočina
South Moravia
Olomouc Region
Zlín Region
Moravia-Silesia

We would be keeping “Region” to make a distinction between the towns and the regions named after towns. We are all generally fine with the version without “regions”, but I feel for example that with this we would avoid all potential confusion.

Prague is a special case in many ways anyway.

2 Likes

Ya, it’s kind of like Washington, D.C. I guess, or Mexico City, which are their own regions and not states in the U.S. and Mexico, despite the desire to make them official states in both countries by their residents.

To be fair, I’m not sure that anyone outside of Czech Republic would probably be wondering whether we’re talking about the internationally famous town of Usti nad Labem or just the surrounding region…

Especially since they would be listed under a heading that already says “regions.”

1 Like

This feels like a sensible and logical compromise to me.

Plus, like mentioned in the Ireland forum, this happens many other of the already split regions as well. New York is a city and a state. Quebec City… Oklahoma city. Kansas City isn’t even in Kansas but we don’t specify Kansas State.

Seems like this is overthinking things that would be fairly obvious.

1 Like

Not sure I understand this reasoning to be completely honest. We don’t do this with Quebec (which has a city named Quebec in it) or Greater London (which has a city named London in it) or New York (which has a city named New York in it) or Greater Manchester (which has a city named Manchester in it) or Berlin (which has a city named Berlin in it) or Bremen (which has a city named Bremen in it) or Hamburg (which has a city named Hamburg in it) or California (which has a city named California City in it) or Kansas (which is, ironically, not home to Kansas City).

1 Like

There is a kansas city, kansas, it just happens to be smaller than the adjacent, larger Kansas Citu, Missouri.

We are doing it because nobody (from my experience) calls the region “Pilsen”, but “Pilsen Region”. Nobody calls the region “Hradec Králové” but the “Hradec Králové region”. When someone says I’m going to “Hradec Králové” it’s not likely they will be going to Náchod or Špindlerův Mlýn.

All the examples given literally say “Quebec City”, “Califoria City”, “Kansas City” - note the extra “City” in the name that’s very much absent from “Plzeň” or “Pardubice”.

Also, in case of Bremen, Hamburg, Berlin, we are always talking about metros/towns given special status within a country, similar with Prague. In case of Plzeň, Pardubice etc. it’s just that the administrative region is named after the biggest town in the area for a lack of a better traditional term and towns there do not form part of the same metro.

Nobody has a “beer from Hradec Králové” while drinking Primátor or Sněžka or whatever, but it counts as a beer from the Hradec Králové Region.

Hope it’s clearer now. You’re counting on people to totally get the difference and that it will always say “region” which, for the first case, from experience, won’t be the case, and the second definitely won’t be the case.

4 Likes

I don’t care what you call each region to be honest, but I think ‘the locals’ should have the final say on the number and chosen names (as long as they make sense to everyone else).

Czech Republic/Czechia has changed drastically in resent years: I can remember my first trip to Prague and all the pedestrian signage being only in Slavic, it bares no resemblance to anything in English and we hadn’t a clue where we were going, our guide book being useless. Still had a wonderful time though, been back since and had an even better time.

<*))))))><

1 Like