Dark Star Brewery to close

Sad news

1 Like

That’s a shame.

I wonder how they will make it taste the same (as they’ve claim); different water, different shaped brewing equipment and size of brews. Very cleaver of them if they can.

<*))))))><

Yeah I wonder how they will replicate things. Bit gutted really as these were one of the early breweries in the craft scene, and beers like Hophead really were fabulous, but hey-ho these things happen when the big boys muscle in. Crikey I can even remember them as far back as the time when they were in Brighton.

1 Like

Damn, I remember trying Dark Star APA at St. Urho’s Pub in Helsinki and daaaaamn was it good then. Still one of my highest rated APA-s.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not surprising. As soon as Asahi took over Fuller’s they were at risk. It’s whether they keep the Fuller’s brewery going is the bigger question. I’ve always had a soft spot for Dark Star too.

1 Like

Definitely a shame. Dark Star was one of the first breweries with which I became acquainted when I moved to London in 2010, and I made a point of seeking out their beers for years afterward. I haven’t had a lot from them more recently, although I did make an extra effort to try their version of Gales Prize Old Ale, which I managed to track down at the Kings Arms in Bethnal Green.

Here’s hoping the brand continues and the quality stays acceptable.