Deleting rates

^^^
That was my understanding of the rule as well…

• Beers blended out of the tap - not rateable.
  • Beers blended and kegged and sold by a brewery - rateable.
2 Likes

There are literally hundreds of beers in the database that are post fermentation blends. See: https://www.ratebeer.com/tag/blend/

This is correct

I have edited Pat’s Blend to be rateable once again. It is clearly not a tap blend (or a randall) on the day of the release and it was clearly blended under the control of AleSmith and released to the general public. @slowrunner77.

1 Like

:+1:

Thanks, Drake. Is there a record of my rate anywhere? I got the generic notice when my rate was deleted but didn’t keep it. I remember the score but not the particulars…

I can admit a mistake and appreciate you all taking the time to discuss this. I truly thought these post-fermentation blends which are not bottled and sold outside the brewery we’re not allowed. But I understand the logic behind allowing them.

Unfortunately our rules are not perfect and are open to some interpretation. Using the logic above, why do we disallow coffee variations for small, brewery-only releases while we allow them when they are bottled and released? I ask the same question about double dry-hopped. We should spend some time and clarify the same so that we all apply the rules consistently.

@slowrunner77 I do apologize for deleting the rating. I am not sure if we can recover it but I will check on that.

6 Likes

We do not disallow those. Not as far as I know. Hit me up with a BM and we can work it out policy wise.

@jonas once told me that on RB, “coffee is coffee”. The hundreds of Speedway Stout variations speak against that (though we have a good dozen coffee variations aliased to the regular Speedway entry) - maybe this used to be a policy?

Well it used to be that way at least, but I guess some civets pooped out coffee beans and set the precedent for exceptions…

Hmm. What’s wrong with allowing/differentiating on the roaster of the coffee. Obviously that makes a difference or we’d see Alesmith Speedway Stout - Folgers

2 Likes

Take a tour, have access to a beer. Cool
Buy a ticket, have access to hundreds of beers. Cool.
Yeah, start deleting FW blends and I’ll be a tad upset.
Is ratebeer going to be deleting all the ratings of gueuzes and all other blended lambics for the same reason? That would be quite “the end” of this site.

I think the answer is that in olden days any quality brewer with a great reputation could do about anything and it would be allowed. As upstarts and imitators expand, some admins are noticing the copycat aspects and long to treat the newbie brewers differently. Shouldn’t do that tho.

Nothing is getting deleted!

An apparently factually correct statement when applied to our elected officials. :thinking:

1 Like

It is, and seems to me like it has always been, about marketing.

Taking bourbon as an example.

Brewpub has their “Bourbon Stout” that is aged in whatever barrel that was available a cheap at time and any given batch could be aged in any given barrel. Those are one entry.

Brewpub has “Bourbon Series Batch 1 Pappy Van Winkle,” and releases it making sure to highlight the particular bourbon used and how they plan to find an amazing barrel for each future batch (or even if this is a one off "Pappy Stout). Bonus points if they distribute it far and wide. These get multiple entries in most cases.

Of course it gets more subtle sometimes. “This is a special Pappy version of our regular bourbon stout.” Brewer marketing is the most important factor, among others.

1 Like

Nothing really wrong with that.

1 Like