Do you believe there are people that can get 6 to 10 new beers to try every day?

Very very few people care about your stats apart from you, if anyone. And there will always be another beer.

For me its less about numbers & more about satisfying a curiosity about tradition & history, key brewers, classic & modern styles, and a general understanding of beer in all its forms.

I find the number-chasing odd and ultimately pointless

1 Like

I’m opening a Taras Boulba tonight.

3 Likes

Yes, because we are imbued with choice - we only need to drink the good ones.

@cgarvieuk

Here’s the table of years for your top 100 and bottom 100 (I have it scripted now):

year top-100 bot-100
2007 16 43
2008 15 4
2009 12 14
2010 10 5
2011 5 4
2012 9 6
2013 7 8
2014 11 3
2015 2 7
2016 4 2
2017 7 3
2018 2 1

So, in 2007 there were 16 beers that deserved a top-100 level score, and today there are 100 minus the ones that were retired.

1 Like

In my top 50, 27 are definitely retired. Craft brewers gotta craft.
(And I’m way less into whale-hunting than most, I would guess many others have an even higher ratio.)

Edit: I note that you’ve assumed nothing rated highly after 2007 was available in 2007. I doubt this is true.

Yeah, it was mostly tongue in cheek. While it’s interesting to see how these things spread themselves over a decade of rating, I don’t think it really tells us much about the overall “quality” of the beer at any given point in time.

2 Likes

But you did raise an interesting question with your post - one that could be pulled out into its own stat-twat thread - so thanks for posting it. The problem is that “How many of your top-50 beers are retired?” is hard to answer accurately without quite a bit of effort, as the listings page doesn’t list the retirement status. (So perhaps it could be a ball-park-answer poll question?)

Cheers, and here you go, have some stats:

year top-100 bot-100
2007 0 3
2008 13 32
2009 11 21
2010 6 15
2011 14 4
2012 11 13
2013 13 7
2014 11 5
2015 4 0
2016 6 0
2017 7 0
2018 4 0

I’d go with that. When I first started if I thought a beer was average it scored 2.5. Now it’ll be 3. There are some I probably some I need to re-rate.Although I remain cautious of scoring over 4.

Whats interesting is how many i dont think its place so high now.

Definitly some that were Experience led, the experience boosted the Score, a few probably boosted by A liking for the Brewery, a few that were just favs at time, but would now just be middle of road

But actually still quite a lot of Beers that did actually make me go wow at the time

Sculpin got one of my highest ratings for an IPA. These days, I find it mediocre.

Dare to call Habanero Sculpin mediocre. Call it out through your tears.

2 Likes

Bah. Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah kicks HS’s ass.

No question about that:

The aroma is so hot. My eyes begin to water. My face detects the chili. And that’s before drinking this. Adam Richman should take on a 6 pack challenge. About medium body. Flavor is chili! I’ll put this aside for awhile. My lips are now a little gummy, and I have fire from mouth to tum. The top of my head has begun to sweat - sure sign of significant capsaicin. Must have been fun being around this boil.

1 Like

We had a couple of bottles at a share. I was the only one to ask…can I have some more, please? :slight_smile:

You are now likely to be free of intestinal cancer.

1 Like

I know you don’t, but there are actually people who do. And you already know whom I speak of!
:japanese_ogre:

1 Like

You can legitimately rate a beer from 1/3rd of a fluid ounce?
That’s crazy. 99% of my ratings have been from 12oz or more.

1 Like

I’d like to say that the decision if I want another sip can be legitimately made from that amount. But I don’t do it outside of festivals.

2 Likes

I was really cutting back last year, going a lot of times to just drink my PU that I love.
Did travel quite a bit, where I tend to rate.
Did visit a bunch of beer fests, where I rate at some.

All in all, seems 2017 was the year with my highest number of entries since joining ratebeer, at 1427.

That is without a bunch of the backlog I couldn’t be bothered to enter from the fall, until I did in January and February.

So without trying, but with some travel and a few festivals, and rating the beers my wife get at the bar while I’m sipping PU, I averaged almost 4 ticks/rates per day in the end.