Does anyone check corrections anymore?

AFAIK anyone can edit a place, as long as there is no affiliated user.

Nope. Have you not seen the various Places corrections threads on the forums? They have thousands of posts.

1 Like

Looks like @marko took care of your YellowBelly corrections. If he hadnā€™t I was going to take care of it tonight.

1 Like

Awesome. Thereā€™s a couple more fixes then itā€™s perfect, so if you or @marko sees thisā€¦

Done! Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t tamper much in other admins lane. However when I am visiting outside of Alaska I will add beers/make corrections, but usually drop the locals admin a message. Iā€™ve found most of us donā€™t mind at all.

1 Like

Excellent! Yeah I understand that. I brought this up in the UK & IE forum originally but turns out the one Irish admin is currently inactive, anyway itā€™s all sorted now. Iā€™m not aware of any other major cleanup tasks now so weā€™re probably back to standard corrections now :slight_smile:

Yes I have, and this always puzzled me, b/c Iā€™ve always (pre-admin time) been able to correct place entries.

This. There have been cases where I have to fix some other area admin ā€œfixesā€ and it is very annoying. It is especially annoying since there is no log of changes, so I donā€™t even notice when something is changed and not marked to unverified.

If you do it right, you have to actually verify the correction (this means visiting brewers website, google searching, untappd lurking etc.). For example sometimes the typos are intentional. So fixing a typo may take tens of minutes.

I donā€™t doubt research is required, but if iā€™m in a bar looking at the pump clip i can see exactly what it says and how its written. So no research would be required, if i was able to correct at the time. Itā€™s only required later as the person doing the update isnā€™t looking at it at the time. For descriptions, other changes, images etc. I would use the brewers website, social media etc. prior to sending a correction anyway.

2 Likes

I completely agree.

I donā€™t really know what else to suggest to speed things up thenā€¦ I mean in the case of using the brewerā€™s website/social media I guess we could include links to the specific page. I have done this a handful of times before but only deemed it necessary when the information was ambiguous, for example in the case of two similarly named beers, or where a rebrew differed from its original in some way. Otherwise Iā€™m usually copying and pasting in descriptions verbatim (which are almost always written from the brewerā€™s point of view), or I just mention where to find evidence of the information.

Maybe @joet could add a ā€œSourceā€ box on the corrections page, so we could paste in links or explain where the information is from, to save clogging up the actual notes box with that and make it clearer to admins?

This is just not true. Pump clips, blackboards, untappd list at festival etc. may be totally misleading. I have seen so many mistakes there, that itā€™s not even funny. Wrong ABV, wrong name (i.e. the beer name may have deliberate typo, which is not repeated on blackboard), wrong style etc. and donā€™t even get me started with beers that have multiple hop, barrel, or coffee versions. Unless you have access to the label of keg, you should not be sure of anything. And even if you have access to the label of keg, it may be hard to figure these things out (good luck figuring out which Struise version you are currently drinking, even if you have access to the label).

Note: Iā€™m not against the idea of community edits. Iā€™m a big fan of wikipedia and discogs is really amazing. But at the moment there is no version history, so if someone messes something up, you have to fix it manually. There is no proper log of changes, which means that if someone messes something up, you may not even notice it (unless beer gets unverified). You canā€™t lock the edits, if someone decides to start flame war etc.

I do think your slightly missing the point. Take this beer for example:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fab-just-jane/490100/

No description, like many on RateBeer. The reason for this is that the brewery launched this and a few other beers before their website. Now they have the website up and running, it has a comprehensive description for this and other beers of theirs.

https://ferryalesbrewery.co.uk/collections/core-beers/products/just-jane-bitter-x12

Any experienced user who wanted to could easily update this with accurate information from the website.

The next beer to it on the FAB list is golden fleece

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fab-golden-fleece/561716/

A beer like many, with a very low res image, which could be updated with the hi res image off the website.

Finally this brewery has a naming convention F.A.B. <> but some beers get added as Ferry Ales Brewery (F.A.B.) <> again simple thing to get changed when spotted.

2 Likes

:+1:

Re the pic, I reckon any image on a brewerā€™s website would be copyrighted.

I highly doubt any brewer is going to have an issue with this type of usage. Any beer website, beer app, bottleshop etc uses images like this, it helps sell their beer.

Even if it was a copyright issue, which it clearly isnā€™t otherwise joet would have put a rule against it, and Untappd would be sued into oblivion, in this situation you could easily argue Fair Use. Also it is arguably beneficial to the brewer to have the correct and up to date clip accompanying a beerā€™s page. Helps visitors reading reviews to know what to look out for.

Iā€™d be curious to know how many brewers have complained about their images being used. I would hazard a guess the total number of complaints is 0.

2 Likes

Just going by this: I use my own pics for beers but when I tried to copy pics of places/breweries, I couldnā€™t cuz they were copyrighted. Shrugs.

I agree with most of this. In my experience Alaska tap houses, growler bars and restaurants are notoriously for posting incorrect beer lists/names. Even GABBF the largest event here put bogus names in their fest book. I have had to contact many breweries to correct erroneous entries.

Dogfish Head, Bear Republic, Chorlton, etc?

I donā€™t think any of those cared about image use though, more just anti-Ratebeer in general wasnā€™t it? Not sure about Bear Republic but if I remember correctly both DFH and Chorlton threw a tantrum because of the ABI thing, it had nothing to do with the use of their clip images.

1 Like

Yes of course itā€™s about ABI, but using copyrighted images gives them a stick to beat us with. Surely they wouldnā€™t be that pedantic though??

1 Like