Dogs at breweries

that’s all anyone can ask

<*))))))><

2 Likes

I was at a local brewery yesterday and there was this nice German Shepherd hanging around. Every time he got up to check what was going by, his owner would get mad at him telling him he’d eaten enough that day, and scolding him to sit down. This went on for about 20 minutes, and he continued to try and reason with the dog.

I felt so sorry for the dog, and thought the dog was better behaved than the owner. :frowning:

As long as owners know how their dog will act, I have no issues. I’d love to be able to take mine with me on my pub crawl. But, I know better. He gets feisty with other dogs that come up to him, and begs food like he’s been starving for a month despite being fed an hour earlier.

I am an animal lover (have had dogs, currently have cats) but voted no. Charlottesville is a dog haven and I have been at restaurants/bars’ patios where the smell of an unbathed dog completely ruined my experience (and meal). Have also had my table bumped and beer knocked over by a dog when the owner was paying zero attention (it’s as bad as letting your children run wild in a restaurant, or a tap room… which is the bigger problem).

I love animals, but they’re not for everybody. If there’s a nice outdoor space, sure… why not? In a cramped indoor space or small patio where there’s no room to roam outside of other patrons’ tables, no.

1 Like

Most dog owners also don’t consider that I don’t like to have dog saliva on my hands, or staining my black jeans.
I would pet a dog if I can wash my hands, definitively not in the middle of tasting beers.
Not everybody is happy to have a physical contact with your dog!

1 Like

You dirty dog, you!

From my experience most dogs just sit under the table and mind their business. When i take Elliot to bars he gets tipsy people calling him over, where he’ll stay getting stroked. I cant think of any problems a dog causes that’s worse than human being can do.

Heres Elliot getting attention in a local micropub last week

4 Likes

I had to do the nuclear vote, for the reason @bhensonb mentioned. If I can smell it, or I can hear it making noises that don’t just fade into the background of chitchat, then you’re diminishing the quality of probably a reasonable number of people, at least in the more beer-oriented bars I visit. And never, ever, ever, let a naked bumhole come in contact with anything I might lean or sit on.

However, many, maybe most, dog owners are responsible, and the four-legged guests are generally fine, I’ll even happily give him a pat and a let him have a sniff of my hand (not a lick though - eurgh!).

I’m not anti-dog, any more than I am anti-drunk, anti-child or anti-smoker, I apply the same bumhole/smell/hear criteria to them all. However, if you’re a smoker, and I can hear you smoking, you’ve probably set light to either yourself or something on the terrace - don’t do that.