England County Points - June 2019

Can’t imagine I’ll be keeping the Cambridgeshire top spot for long then!

1 Like

Thanks @Mr_Pink_152 !! Not been on the forum for a while having been out in Athens for work so missed this being posted. Up 16 places to 15th! Got to be happy with that. Have had some help along the way from @danlo @BlackHaddock @minutemat and am just back from a tour of the South West with @saxo so hoping for more progress next time the stats are run. Told the wife I’m chasing 100 for each English county (excluding IOW and Rutland of course) and top 10 on this leader-board and then I’ll quit. Possibly.

5 Likes

Ready and off to attack Rutland!

5 Likes

Oakham is a pleasant little town and you’ll love the Grainstore place by the station, always has a load of their cask ales available and often a few bottles too. Just by having everything in Grainstore will get you onto the ‘leader board’: https://www.ratebeer.com/Users/TopRatersBeerByState.asp?StateID=97&Letter=R

<*))))))><

First stop of the day Grainstore, of course! Might have something else up my sleeve after taking kids to the animal farm.

2 Likes

Not stalking you @SHIG , but I see you’ve moved onto the board with seven rates, did you get any bottles for later too?

<*))))))><

1 Like

I have been to three local beer festivals since the ‘score board’ was published. I have pushed further away as the leader of Shropshire rates, but haven’t really moved anywhere in other counties; too many ‘big hitters’ above me in most places and I need too many beers to rise up the ladder.

GBBF might, or might not assist me, depends what everybody else drinks I suppose.

<*))))))><

I’m not going to the GBBF this year so focusing my regional efforts at Peterborough, York and Nottingham.

Hoping to boost a few of my lower counties.

1 Like

I say this year. I’ve never been. Maybe next time.

1 Like

I’ve got nothing to hide. I sure did!

Are these stats automatically generated, or do they require manual intervention? If they are fully automatic, can they be done monthly? I’m keen on seeing if my backlog entrying will have any impact.

Manual tot up by Mr Pink.

In that case, I can try and script something…

I’m not very technical so all I do is a cut and paste from each of the top 50 lists into excel. Then drop into a pivot table.

The only bit that takes time is checking the up/down position changes. I haven’t done it more regularly is as sometimes not much changes.

Arsebiscuits - the pages are behind a login firewall and I don’t know how to script my way past that firewall.

There must be a formula that you can use. I googled it and did not find anything obvious but there were loads of ‘league table’ tutorials.

Well, I’ve found a hack (in the clever sense, not the evil sense) that seems to work, and here’s my first scrape:
http://fatphil.org/beer/stats/England_total.html
which is missing the changes since last scrape, as I’ve not implemented that at all.

If you want to see where you’re getting your points from, here’s the gory details:
http://fatphil.org/beer/stats/England_breakdown.html
Note: some of my totals seem to differ from the table above (DJMonarch in particular, despite not rating anything, he’s gained points), so that might point to possible issues, and maybe that breakdown will help debug those. Also note that I’ve treated all draws as exact draws (so if two people both have enough ratings for 10 points they’ll both get the full 10 points and the next person down will get 8).

I’ll also get round to adding some styles so that it doesn’t look ugly anon.

5 Likes

Just had a quick look at this and I think the main difference is where several people have rated the same number of beers in a region e.g. DJMonarch has rated 7 beers in Rutland so have a number of others. I gave pts based on the position, which means all the people who rated 7 beers had a different score.

I would have liked to have done it as you have, but this would have taken more time than I had.

The process is almost entirely automatic (I have to log in in firefox, “capture” my session from there, and then feed that session into my script in order for it to work, but that’s literally 30 seconds effort), so I can run this regularly for you now. I’ll be able to get the history and changes programmed in easily tomorrow. What’s a good cycle - sesquisesquifortnightly?

1 Like

Im frankly amazed that I got a point for London!

1 Like