England visit January 2-7. County Hunting-On Track

I notice Hereford Beer House has started brewing beer as well

Have you checked the restrictions on your rail ticket? I think a lot of those sort of tickets often donā€™t allow rush hour travel (esp on express trains), which might affect your quest. Having said that rush hour on the trains is grim and worth avoiding anyway!

Good luck in your quest and Iā€™d love to see a running commentary on here of where you go and what you drink!

The guy that runs it has previously brewed for BrewDog and Weird Beard amongst others, I think.

As far as I know heā€™s only put out maybe three beers since opening (under the name After The Harvest) and the most recent one was limited to about half a dozen kegs.

There is no restrictions whatsoever, the only one is that I can`t be a britsh citizen.

Can`t promise, but it should be possible to post something between stopsā€¦

Ah so that explains a lot I was wondering who was behind After the Harvest, so its Johnny from Beer in Hand then who is the brewing those beers, that makes sense. I have chatted with him a couple of times when visiting there and we remembered each other from our visits with Ang and many of the other RB folk to Brodies where he also used to work and brew. I guess that a few on here will remember him from Brodies. I havenā€™t tried any After the Harvest beers but meaning to search them out for a while now.

Agree, but Burton sounds better, more history, more hassle but I hope its wort it.

Yes, we will change at Peterborough any way, good advice, depends on trains schedules, and if we we are ahead of schedule. (Have visited Cambridgeshire before, so not a must)

Have changed stop to Preston.

Will do Hexham , Wylam is too short travel for a busy day, better get some miles before first stop of the day

If you want an early start thereā€™s a Wetherspoons in Hexham (the Forum). You can usually get a beer at a Spoons earlier than anywhere else. And you canā€™t always rely on published pub opening times for independent places, especially on the quiet weekdays. Many times Iā€™ve found pubs that are supposed to open at 11 firmly closed at that time. I guess the owners sometimes donā€™t see much point in opening on time if thereā€™s going to be little, or no, business.

In any event, although Wetherspoons tend to divide opinions they quite often provide the biggest beer range in town, usually with some local options. And Wetherspoons breakfasts are cheap and decent (if you like fry-ups) so we often start the day at one when on our travels.

However, you should be aware that some Wetherspoons open at 8am or even earlier but donā€™t/canā€™t serve alcohol until later. And Iā€™m not sure they always spell out the details on their website.

But youā€™ve been to the UK plenty of times so probably know all this already.

1 Like

what sort of time you arriving Sheffield? I should be around that night from 5ish

According to plan we will arrive at 18.14 from Nottingham,

see you in the Sheffield Tap at 1815 then :wink:

1 Like

The Dog in Burton on Trent has decent cask & keg options. Postcode DE14 3QZ. 15 mins walk from the railway station according to google maps

3 Likes

Planning for an early stop at Leicester, and JDW (Last Plantagenet) seems as the best option for that, they open at 8, what time can i expect to get a beer to go with my breakfast?-9 or 10?

Most spoons serve beer from 9am

I think it depends on local licensing conditions Iā€™m afraid. May be best to contact the pub to confirm.

Arrived Manchester Airport, waiting for train to Crewe, filling up with fresh brew at Nero, first stop will be Beerdock

1 Like

2 beers at Brew Dock, Crewe, very nice place with 10 taps, and a good bottle selection. Our first 2 beers had to be pints. Proper measure.

3 Likes

Shropshire done. Salopian in Shrewsbury, next is Hereford, back on schedule after a slow start from Manchester airport

2 half at Salopian, Shrewsbury, 1 half at Firefly Hereford. 3 counties today, one more to go.

2 Likes

Hardcore county tickersšŸ¤©

Keep the updates coming. Love to see how you get on. Good luck on the trip.

1 Like