Eric's Ratebeer App no more supported

So I have to ask. Who is Eric?

1 Like

https://www.ratebeer.com/user/101051/

1 Like

I usually use the official RB app right now if I have and want to make use of wifi. I havenā€™t been to tastings and beer festivals for a long time though, so I didnā€™t really need offline rating recently except for a few occasions when I wanted to rate a beer which hasnā€™t been added to the db yet. I prefer adding new beers and especially breweries via laptop.

Still, I wonder why offline rating in the way you could do it with Ericā€™s app has not been included yet. Is it so difficult? I guess not. This feature has been asked for so long by many users.

3 Likes

a Superstar who made my RB experience so much better with his App.

4 Likes

And a pretty great guy in person.

4 Likes

I like the ā€œNearbyā€ feature on Ericā€™s app. Disappointed yesterday when it didnā€™t work.

3 Likes

Anyone flagged this to the devs? This probably warrants a new thread

Sorry to hear that the app is no longer working right now, I just wanted to let everyone know that the team are looking into this. Weā€™ll aim to provide a clearer response in the next 24 hours. :beers:

5 Likes

I want to explain whatā€™s happening here. We noticed that a legacy API key was responsible for the recent problems we were having with the RateBeer database. For a short period we closed the entire API to all keys as a precautionary measure. When the key and its owner were identified, we opened the API to all others and cut off access to this one key. I havenā€™t heard back from our contact for that key who was not Eric.

I hope we can resolve the issue and get everything working again. Right now though, we need to speak to the developers involved to be sure itā€™s safe before we do that.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

1 Like

2nded its been a right pain today. the bat had an event today i tried to look up all my beers before ordering but of course ever time i looked up a beer, it vanished when i tried to look up the next.
I ended up looking up each beer on the New app. then moving to the Old app to type it in so i knew what i needed, then when i had my list ordered them all , and went back too new app for those that existed and stuck with old app for those that i needed off line. It was such a PAIN

Please let us know when the issue is resolved as I have quite a few off line ratings on the app which I canā€™t log into at the moment, i get the wrong username or password message. Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks Joe, let us know when it is resolved.

2 Likes

If you have only blocked a single API key now and the app is still broken, that must mean that the API key that was blocked was indeed that one that was in use in Ericā€™s app.

The API doesnā€™t use any OAUTH or similar so that would mean that all the users of the app would be using the same API Key. This is maybe why it appeared to causing issues? Maybe @erickok could provide more details.

Would it be possible to reinstate the key on a trial basis 1 to see if the issue returns and 2 to allow users like @harrisoni to get their ratings off the app

3 Likes

Ratebeer life without Ericā€™s easy light-functional app sucks bigtime. Nuff said!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

This was not the key issued to Eric, so the effect is quite strange.

We will be closing the legacy API at the end of September. The unofficial mobile apps have not been supported for several years. We hope this provided ample opportunity for users to transfer their ratings to a registered account. We do want to try to help with the transition and allow people to sign on and migrate offline ratings.

Did a bit of research looking in to Ericā€™s app on Github. Is this the API key? https://github.com/erickok/ratebeer/blob/fbc10b61f1e76cd636bb778ebfb21517fdecff2e/app/src/main/java/com/ratebeer/android/api/Api.java#L76

Not surprised if itā€™s been abused itā€™s available online.

Iā€™m currently sad that this is the end of Ericā€™s app, but thankfully the mobile experience of ratebeer is a lot better than it was a few years ago. I will miss offline ratings though.

So @joet your saying Erics App is going to stop working permenantly and the supported app still doesnt support offline rating?

given that i recon nearly half of the beer i have are not on the site when i have them, thats absolutly not going to work for me.

1 Like

Even if you just gave us 24-48 hours just to get our offline ratings off that would be great, otherwise Iā€™m losing nearly 50 ratings some of which were one off beers Iā€™ll never get again, or from other countries I visited and was just trying to track down the right brewery.

If worse comes to wors i can help you get them out of the DB on your device.

Me im much more worried about the long term, as if i dont have an offline option thats not cut and paste from a notepad, i cant see me continuing.

2 Likes