Eric's Ratebeer App no more supported

Is it really that onerous? My current method is notepad on my phone, take it home and polish it a bit / fix typos etc then upload. I guess it is a bit more effort but it also means that in the moment i use a lot of shorthand / abbreviations so its much faster to type.

1 Like

Well back in the old Day. I used to take paper notes and then type them all in, it worked but was such a painthen Erics app came along, Made life so much easier (thanks @harrisoni for introducing me to it) every thing in one plac neatly arranged, and easy to upload when time or after new beer was added.

im just not prepared to go back to the hassles of having to work at getting my ratings into RB. If its not easy, im just going to quit. Its been good while it lasted. But ive got a fairly big back log, as even Eric App was struggling as it would hang on any Beer that had no description. So i could no longer easily see what was off line and what had been uploaded but hung in the app.

Ive been fighting on, in the hope offline would appear in new app. It Not perfect but its useable, if offline appeard (next biggest bug bear is on brewery list it insists on showing all my review in a non alphabeical order rather than just the list of beer in alphabetical order)

But in short i dont want ay admin with my ratings(other than adding new beers when i have time), i just want to take then as they happen, and upload with a button press as convenient

Yes as Ericā€™s app also had your offline ratings synchronised so you could see if you already rated something when offline.

Short term future for offline rating will be:

• Regularly download ratings to phone (excel file)
  • Check file to see if I rated a beer already
  • Make notes in a notepad tool
  • Copy and paste into official app or website at later date (often after having to add a new brewery or new beer myself as brewers are not engaged to do it and active ratebeer users are falling)

In a world of growing simplification and automation Iā€™m not sure how long I will bother with that amount of effort.

3 Likes

This! This! This!

5 Likes

This is also my current process. Notepad on phone linked to yahoo mail, cut, paste, polish on laptop/RateBeer.

Iā€™ve seen Ericā€™s app and although donā€™t have it would love the offline rating features add to official app.

3 Likes

For the ones who use the ā€œnotepadā€ method, and have Android, Google Keep works very well.
Notes get automatically syncā€™d between phone and laptop, both directions, as soon as a connection is available.

1 Like

This became my current process when Ericā€™s App stopped working the first time.

It costs me almost twice as much time, and while Iā€™ve got used to it, it is a fact that Ericā€™s app was much better for my use cases than what I have been able to do for a couple years without it. Thatā€™s annoying.

2 Likes

I completely understand when I saw how quick it was for @harrisoni to offline rate last year i understand the loss it will cause. Again I wish the RateBeer app would have offline ratings feature.

I tried voice recording once and it corrupted. Had to spend next day inputting reviews by memory or lose them forever.

Notepads isnā€™t the greatest, but works for now until something better comes along. @fiulijn mine on iPhone is linked to yahoo email so any computer Iā€™m on as long as I get to email my notes are there.

If I need to add a review later I Facebook message it to myself. That also queues to send once youā€™re online.

@services @joet - Can we get a timing for the temporary resurrection of Ericā€™s App ?

Yes same here that is how I tend to do it, however sometimes I live rate but frequently use notepad on phone. I make up a template indicating date, place, who with etc then add beer notes.

I only had 2 ratings offline in the app. Iā€™ll get them out of there if I need to, but not stressing about it at the moment. The biggest loss is the entire offline posibility. Search through all your offline ratings (if youā€™re offline), add ratings offline to find the correct beer later. And the fact that you have one single screen with all the score and field to write the rating at once so you can write and add score at the same time. The old web page used to work fine on the phone using desktop mode, and just zoome in on the page. The new one sucks on both phone and computer. Before, if you did something and managed to go back one step, your started rating would still be there in the cache to be continued on. If you do something now that closes the on-top-rating-layer, then youā€™re fucked. I only use Evernote to frite my ratings now, and have them synced. But this way, and then finding the beer on the computer, and copy pasting, takes a hell of a lot more time than using Ericā€™s old app.

3 Likes

Iā€™m now on Google Sheets on Google Drive so at least I can check if Iā€™m offline. Long winded way of doing something that was so easy before. Especially for beers that donā€™t exist yet. Which in Britain is very often. Iā€™ve got 40 odd breweries in Kent and Iā€™m in a small small handfull of people who add Kent beers and breweries. I am having to add virtually everything now. It was so much easier with the app with offline ratings.

1 Like

Some kind of clemency period for us users to clear out our EricKokā€™s app would be most appreciated.

@Stuu666 has gone back to mostly untappd after me getting him onto RB 5 or so years ago as it was unusable over last fee weeks.

Im currently using the new app if beer exists and Eric app when it doesnt. But frankly is i dont get a sensible Eta on new app getting off line im done. Its just too much part of how i work. Im just gonna end up private DB on phone (which is where i started ) or quit keeping track (currently torn) but im not prepared to take nnotes and have the whole cut and past fiasco and given that im at least 1/3 not existing in day to day life and No time to deal with working out whats live and whats not at a festival like De Molen. were weeks away from me going screw it.
plan is De molen im using erics app, and then 200 rating on erics app we see the layt of the land (of course if new app has offline before then i will totally jump as it will be great test of it)

Yeah, as @cgarvieuk says, Iā€™ve been using untappd the past couple of weeks when Iā€™ve had internet access since Ericā€™s app went down. If an offline feature doesnā€™t return, Iā€™ll be place rating only.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
We are planning to bring back the old app for two days, so that any offline ratings can be saved. Please see Joeā€™s update for the planned times Migration time for old RateBeer app

2 Likes

and what about offline on new app, is that coming and if so when?

That will be really sad if you do go.

I do hope that the powers that be can roll out something that will appeal to all.

Iā€™d prefer not to, but unfortunately the untappd database tends to be more up to date now (even with all the duplicate/nonsense entries) and if Iā€™m out and about I donā€™t have the patience to constantly add beers. Offline rating was fine for this as Iā€™d add beers on the computer and upload later.
However, if the choice is between notepad for a beer thatā€™s not on RB and transferring later, or untappd because the beerā€™s already there, Iā€™ll go with the quickest option.

3 Likes