FAO a Cider Freak Admin

Hello,

I was in a local B&M Bargains yesterday and saw a large cork and caged 0.75 litre bottle of Kopparberg Sparkling Ros’e (Raspberry) Cider. Pricely sum of £2:99, I treated the wife to a bottle.

It’s not on the data base.

As Babycham is allowed to be rated, is it worth me adding this stuff, or will an Admin remove it?

<*))))))><

The main reason those ‘ciders’ aren’t allowed is because very little ‘apples’ are involved to warrant inclusion in the Apple Cider categories.

Fermentable glucose syrup is the main culprit, added to boost the ABV to 10-15%, then water used to dilute down to whatever ABV they want. Cheaper than using actual cider. Flavourings are then used in place of natural fruit. I’d be surprised if there’s any trace of apple whatsoever.

But like you pointed out, there’s so many of these on RB it may as well be added, or delete the rest. Which would prove a laborious task.

2 Likes

As Mat says, cider-pops often don’t have enough actual apple content… but alot of the Kopperberg entries are unlisted (so they aren’t rateable) rather than being removed, so in that case you would still keep your rating if it gets unlisted but no-one else could then rate it. Depends on the Admin whether they decide to unlist the entry or delete it (I’ve had a low alcohol fruit cider that I added recently deleted for the abv being too low)

1 Like

OK, I will add it and see what happens, cheers for the input @minutemat and @danlo.

My cider ratings are beginning to rise, only started ‘doing cider’ on Ratebeer this year, so a long way to go.

<*))))))><

I must say your reviews make for fascinating reading Jeremy

1 Like

I’ve only just learnt to write, so please give me some slack Mat.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Those “ciders” shouldn’t be deleted but just unlisted. Otherwise they will get added again and again. If it’s unlisted, you can check the db if you have a reason to buy and add it or if it’s already in the db but unrateable. If it has already been deleted but you are not aware of that, you will buy it, add it, rate it and then it gets deleted again. More work for all of us.

1 Like

How do you know exactly if it is a rateable flavoured cider or not?

Right now we only got this Guideline:
Fruit infused ciders must be 50%+ apple fermentable and over 2% ABV.

ie
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rekorderlig-botanicals-grapefruit-rosemary/800762/

Is it described on the bottle or somewhere in the description that is is this way? Or it is simply guessing / admin preference? (In my region, there’s no such specification for those products so it’s impossible to tell if it’s 50%+ cider or not)

The item on the link was added as a Perry, while it has that line when you add a new item there isn’t any style called “fruit infused cider” and the actual ‘Apple Cider - Flavoured’ style notes just says it needs to be obtained from Cider to which flavourings must be added and to which sugar may be added, with alcohol 1.5 to 15% by volume. i.e. there are inconsistent definitions on ratebeer and it’s at the whim of an admin whether it’s left on, delisted or deleted!

In the case of Rekorderlig the ingredients list is on the bottle (at least some of them), and the first thing is carbonated water, so they definitely cannot be 50% apple or pear.

1 Like

I agree with Zlotta, whether rateable or not, these questionable “ciders” shouldn’t be deleted but just unlisted… otherwise they’ll just get added over and over which makes more work and doesn’t help others know of their status, as there is no consistent definition anyway

1 Like

Historically it’s often been a case of an admin contacting the cidery and asking… I think in Canada most are at least 50% cider. The ones that we more frequently had trouble with were the fortified ones.

1 Like