Frankfurt Cider Stopover

Due to flight re-arrangements have a 9hr stop-over in Frankfurt to fill up the time - which is kind of a dream come true for a cider drinker! anyone have any tips for the must visit places in Frankfurt for cider ratings would be much appreciated, Cheers

1 Like

Go to Sachsenhausen. Easy to reach via tram from Hauptbahnhof (take the S-Bahn to the town-center from “Lokalbahnhof” at the airport). There are dozens of cider bars in a walking distance.
My favourite cider-bottle-shop with things to drink on site is https://www.apfelweinhandlung.de
It is not far away from the pubs in Wallstr., Neuer Wall etc. Just serach for “Apfelwein” in google maps.
The walking tour can also start at “Apfelwein Wagner” or “Zum gemalten Haus”. The latter one turned into a touristy pub with watery cider a few years ago (was there a month ago - the place is highly touristy with a cider that was better a few years ago). Next door is “Wagner” whose cider is still nice. From there just walk to places google shows you, drink a glass (25cl) and continue walking… The pubs normally only serve one kind of cider. You can buy it for take away as well - the’ll pour it normally into an empty wine-bottle. But dinking on site is with the small portions possible :apple:
Other pubs I like when in Frankfurt are “Struwwelpeter”, “Dauth-Schneider” and the other ones in that street.

→ Have fun and don’t forget to drink enough water in between :wink:

4 Likes

Well jell!

Thanks for the tip, definitely the area to go to - also found this article in CiderCraft magazine:

Daheim im Lorsbacher Thal | Frankfurt, Germany

We’re all familiar with that staple of German culture, the beer garden. Well, cider gardens exist, too, at least in the historic cider district of Sachsenhausen in Germany’s financial capital, Frankfurt. One of the best is Daheim im Lorsbacher Thal. Opened eight years ago by restaurateur and cidermaker Frank Winkler , the cider offerings (apfelwein in German) have now grown to 300 ciders from 28 countries on four continents. There are always two dozen or so available by the glass, the rest by the bottle. The extensive menu focuses on the classics of Germany and the local specialty dishes of Hesse, such as green herb sauce (grüner sosse ) with hard boiled eggs and potatoes or schnitzel. It’s a marvelous dinner spot on a warm summer evening.

Just need to figure out the plan to keep the wife & kids occupied while I try lots of cider!

4 Likes

That was by far my favourite Ed.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/lorsbacher-thal-apfelweinwirtschaft/51649/

If it’s still the same MO as when I was there then they will have 20+ bottles opened and available in 100ml servings.

2 Likes

I just felt something right now… :star_struck:

1 Like

Lorsbacher im Thal is the goto location. Best broad selection. Haven’t been there since before Covid but should be all good.
Feel free to text me when you are there. I live close by and could maybe meet you depending on the time.

2 Likes

Should arrive 1.50pm on the Tuesday 16th August then need to get back to airport to fly out at 10pm, will aim to go to Lorsbacher im Thal first as it does sound very good, and then can look to follow Erzengel’s suggestions. Will just need to find something nearby to keep the wife & kids amused while I work through some ciders ratings!

2 Likes

I will check my calendar and see if I can come over. Will PM you.

Oh no Ed! Tuesday???

Damn, oh well, that explains why it wouldn’t let me book a restaurant place for Tuesday - thanks for flagging it up as better to know that now rather than when we got there! Plan B will be to get around afew of the cider bars as was suggested, but not as ideal compared to being sat in the one place doing bottle pours for awhile. Will give me a good excuse for another trip back to visit there in the future.

1 Like

Plans went out the window as spotted there was a festival - visited that but very hot so moved onto touristy cider pubsfrom thereProcessing: IMG_20220816_161002_358.jpg…

3 Likes