Good ticking: flights and flight prices

Should we add these new figures to Places?

Flights: Yes/No
Cost: 8.50 for 5
Tasters: Yes/No
Taster cost: 2.00 each

• Yes
  • No
  • Read my suggestion below

0 voters

One of the things I find myself reading place reviews trying to find is whether they do flights or not. Having it at the top would make things way easier.

2 Likes

I do exactly this. Thus, I’ve started put that info in my reviews.

1 Like

I also got a request for:

Free WiFi: yes/no

9 Likes

I think just “Tasters/Flights: Yes/No” is sufficient.

14 Likes

I agree with Blipp, flights/tasters are an American thing, not usually found in Europe (very small samples are common and always free), so just a yes/no would be enough without prices in my opinion.

<*))))))><

1 Like

I think the separation is a good idea to distinguish between places that charge for tasters versus those who give them away. Plus it’s nice to know places that don’t do flights.

1 Like

I think having a check box for tasters/flights is okay, but I would not want to include pricing. This is so dynamic and difficult to capture in just one line. So many places just charge by the individual taster, or a flight with a special barrel aged beer is more expensive, etc.

9 Likes

Agreed with others. Just have a Yes/No for if flights are offered. And if so maybe another box to say if you can buy individual samplers or a full flight?

1 Like

This

1 Like

Just chiming in to say yes I agree with everything I just quoted. Yes/No for tasters, flights, wifi. No point including pricing.

6 Likes

When people say “tasters,” do they mean free tiny pours into taster glasses or individual flight-sized pours for which the customer has to pay? Most places will do the former (the practice is so common that to note it seems irrelevant), but I’m not going to rate from a tiny gratis sample pour. It’s much more relevant to me, from a ticking (and place choice) perspective, to know whether I can pay for small pours (2 to 6 ounces, say), regardless of whether they are parts of flights. And, yes, I’m much more likely to visit a place if I can purchase small pours.

1 Like

In the UK if you ask for a “taster” yes it will be a free tiny pour (usually 1-2 mouthfuls worth I guess). Flights are usually ⅓ pints (UK pints that is) which you pay for.

But yeah tasters are so commonplace that I’m not sure I’ve ever been somewhere that wouldn’t offer one if you asked. So now that I think about it I guess it maybe kinda pointless adding that.

One thing of note: One of my local breweries refers to flights as “taster flights” which is probably where some peoples confusion is coming from.

1 Like

It seems that @joet means small glasses or small pours (typically 4 or 5 ounces) for which the customer pays individually. These go by different names in the U.S., including tasters, jimmies, ponies, samplers, etc. If in the UK, “taster” means a free sample, @joet should be more clear in the language if he adds this feature (which I encourage).

1 Like

In that case then yes it will need to be made clearer. I’ve never drank in the US so was unaware this was yet another difference in our language.
To clarify what I was saying then, a third of a pint here is 192ml and is the measure typically used when serving flights of beer, these would always be paid for, I assume this is the same in the US. Probably not as common to see this in the UK though, never seen any traditional pub offer this, but taprooms and modern craft beer places are more likely to offer it.
Tasters I’ve had in the past don’t seem to have a standard measure but I suppose are generally around 50ml (1.75 oz), give or take a bit depending on their generosity. In any case I’ve never had to pay for that small of a measure.

As an aside: What is the smallest measure of beer people rate from? I feel I need at least a third to write an informed rating. Anything less would feel like cheating a bit, at least to me anyway.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, 1 Danish pint = 1/16 UK pint, which is the maximum allowable measure when rating beers in Denmark :wink: .

2 Likes

I definitly like the idea of the extra info
But agree we need to be carefull of definition.

In the UK Most traditional places would Offer 1/2 and Full Pints
More modern places offer a varied combonation of 1/3, 1/2 . 2/3 and Pints
In the UK the only legal measure are those and multiples of those
(Many pubs may list of board price and pour size but in most you can change your pour size down. Generally if its priced at a 1/3 you can size up. You order when finished your first)

So flights are pretty rare and where available are nearly always a combo of 1/3 pints, that mostly could have been bought cheaper individually.

Most pubs Will charge 1/3 of the price of a pint for a 1/3 pint.

So flight info in the UK is not particularly usefull.
where as in teh US(or at least parts of) It seems each beer comes in its own pour size and the customer has no choice over the size So the Flight exists for people to try a smaller pour. But often price per ML is way in exess of the scalled down size. Still better value if you want to try lots, but poor value for volume

So getting balance right could be Key.
Knowing a US place does a flight or a small pour very userfull.

Knowing a Uk bar offers Thirds (becomming more common but not widespread) is also usefull
But is a 1/3 pint considered a small pour.

saying place offers free tasters, i think is pointless. Also dont see need for pricing as we would never stay up to date with that

1 Like

Prices can change.

2 Likes

“Small pours/taster”? I sometimes ask, “Do you have a short pour?” and they show me sample glass and either charge me for it or not. If they pull out a four ounce “taster” then it usually costs something.

2 Likes

I think if places offer “flights” or 4-ounce taster pours or whatever you want to call them, people should just pony up and buy them instead of asking for splashes of like 4 different things. That’s literally the reason they offer them - so you can sample a variety of options and then go back and get whatever you liked best.

Of course, the “splash” pour seems to be ubiquitous at craft beer places, at least here in the States. Probably because it’s easier to deal with than people trying to return full pints that they don’t like.

1 Like