Hazy IPA poll

I’ve seen so many memes for a very long time about how hazy IPAs are for newbies and/or are passe. I still see the good examples as highly desirable and delicious, and I’m talking about examples from Monkish, Cellarmaker, Tree House, Cloudwater, Trillium, Lawson’s, Cloudburst. So I wonder how plentiful these IPAs actually are for you, because they are in such short supply here in this legendary beer town as to be mostly, save Great Notion, non existent.

How Hard Is It To Find NEIPA?

• NEIPAs are so plentiful that they fall from the trees here
  • I can get them easily when I want them
  • It takes a little work but I can usually find a few
  • It’s hard. There aren’t too many around.
  • What’s NEIPA?

0 voters

4 Likes

Is Portland, as a an original mecca of the craft beer movement, already staying stuck in 15 years ago? Breweries here are still extremely enthusiastic at taking a crack at the latest trend (we had a ton of fruited berliners not too long ago, getting a ton of NEIPA and lactose IPA with fruit (known around here as milkshake IPA)). Often times, these attempts are somewhat amateurish and not so good, but they eventually manage to be successful. Stuff like Boreale IPA du Nord-Est, Noctem Catnip, Vox Populi IPAs are all fine examples of the style.

2 Likes

Portland is still quite insular, mostly because it’s been very good at satisfying local palates for ages. San Francisco went through this same phase a while back and it was mostly because people were very happy with available options. Curiosity and exploration tend only to be popular behaviors when people collectively see great opportunity, it seems?

2 Likes

Here in San Diego, Mikkeller and Modern Times both do a ton, and many many other breweries will have one or two on tap at any given time.

In terms of quality, Modern Times usually has everyone beat, at least in terms of consistent quality.

2 Likes

in the uk all the trendy new wave breweries are doing at least 1

1 Like

This is true and sort of goes along with my theory that beer deserts fostered the best craft beer revolutions. Places built on tradition (beer-wise) have had a much harder time letting craft beer thrive than places without. USA, Canada, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, all have awesome craft scenes, and they were all not too long ago under the hegemony of a few macro lager brands. Germany, Belgium, Czechia, UK are getting craft breweries yes - but they are years behind some of the first countries I mentionned.

4 Likes

Plentiful in the UK. As Craig said pretty much every craft brewery has one, the more well known have several. And then there’s some like Cloudwater who release new ones every other week. I’d say there’s too many to try them all unless you ONLY drink NEIPAs and nothing else.

3 Likes

I hate neipas

7 Likes

Here in Gothenburg, Sweden, I actually find it hard to get non-hazy IPAs.

5 Likes

When have you had a palate though :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Never. I’m just an egocentric prick

4 Likes

Embrace the Haze, my dude.

3 Likes

Say it with flour

1 Like

Very much the latest trend in NZ. It’s been about 18 months since the first one was commercially released, and since then a number of breweries are making them.

3 Likes

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I am hearing through the grapevine that Modern Times coming to Portland only means they’ll be hawking their flagships on location and locally, so expect zero locally made one-offs and no local access to the likes of Attack Frequency. I hope this rumour is critically unfounded. And if Jacob is reading this, please, you owe me one, dude. :grin:

3 Likes

Are they building a tasting room, or just starting to distribute? If they’re building a tasting room I’d say you should expect a good range of really tasty stuff.

1 Like

NEIPAs are awesome think I mentioned one being my outstanding beer of the year Cloudwater NE Citra

4 Likes

I really hope you’re right. They’re moving on top of the empty hole left by one of Portland’s best brewers, The Commons. Looks like a good thing for all involved – their move in likely helps Commons with their lease agreement. Brewing will be happening in Portland. Everyone I’ve talked to has been pretty excited about it. For the lip service paid to local around here, good beer ends up winning with little resistance.

1 Like

We have 3 breweries doing pretty much nothing else. But almost all breweries here have at least tried one, as is the way of being a follower.

Thing is, some of those follower breweries did a pretty good job.

And some did not, either through poor ingredient choices or through not really taking the time to understand the differentiating characteristics.

Anyway, yes they are common here even if not everybody really understands how to make a good one (including at least one of the breweries that specializes, sadly).