Hoppy Pilseners and India Style Lagers

I’ve noticed recently that Founders PC Pils is classified an ISL while Mikkeller SD California Dream, another hoppy pilsener, is classified a Pilsener. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

People probably added them differently. The styles pretty obviously overlap.

PC Pils should be categorized as a Pils.

What constitutes a Czech Pils?

1 Like

Technically, a Pils from Czechia is a Czech Pils.

Our definition: using lots of Saaz and 28+ IBU.

3 Likes

There is obviously going to be a bit of a grey area here, but as a rule of thumb: Anything dry-hopped with “modern” hops is likely to be an ISL, more classic takes can be pure pilsners. I don’t know enough about the Mikkeller one to know where it falls.

2 Likes

I know when I added it, I added it as a Pilsener. ISL wasn’t a definable style when it came out.

1 Like

I feel like styles like ISL or also Fruit Beer are often handled like big pools where everything that vaguely fits gets thrown in. I absolutely get why styles like Pilsner shouldn’t be swamped with modern genre-bending beers, but the fluent passage between styles can often result in disagreement.

I feel like it could all be fixed by making ISL into IPL like it should be. Then delete Premium Lager altogether. My opinion is that if it says Pilsener on the bottle/can or is mentioned within the name, it should be classified as such.

But my opinion doesn’t mean jack shit.

Well for continuity they changed California Dream to ISL. I guess consistency is good.

I’m a pilsner lover and I strongly disagree with that classification. Sure it’s hoppy but isn’t it also brewed with corn, suggestive of “craft adjunct lager” or something?

I agree and might add German style would use Tettnang, Hallertauer and other “noble” varieties.

Totally agree!

So as an example, how would you guys classify Capt. Lawrence 6th Borough? :

Beer Style: Pilsner | Pils
IBU: 35
OG: TBA
ABV: 5%
Hops: Crystal & Columbus
Dry Hopped: Mosaic & Crystal
Malts: Pilsner, Vienna, & Wheat

I love this one and even though it’s quite hoppy it simply comes across to me as hoppy pils rather than some India Premium yadayada.

1 Like

So the real argument is now what is the line between hoppy pils and ISL? I think if we called it IPL (as in the same thing as an IPA, but brewed with lager yeast and cold fermented) instead of ISL, this would erase the confusion. What is a premium lager, anyway? I always thought they were just heavily hopped lagers.

1 Like

Thought it originally meant one brewed without adjuncts, as opposed to the standard pale lagers which could have maize, sawdust, rice, guano or any other crap thrown in to increase profit margins?

2 Likes

I thought they were dumbed down Super Premiums. :wink:

3 Likes

The way I see and somewhat try to understand it, this isn’t how it’s handled mostly. Any pale hoppy lager can be shoved into the ISL category. Any hoppy Pils can be an ISL. Any hopped Kellerbier can be an ISL. Low alcohol lagers with strong hop profiles can be an ISL. The differences between lager styles don’t matter. As long as it’s hoppy, it can be an ISL.

1 Like

How come when I click on ISL, there’s no description and no examples listed?

2 Likes

Because it’s everything and nothing.

2 Likes

Right, any all-malt lager such as Michelob (if that is still true).

1 Like

Like the old Erlanger, Andeker and Herman Joseph’s back in the day. Used to be called Super Premiums.

3 Likes

Having California Dream now. Don’t give a fuck what you want to call it, I love it.

2 Likes