How Big is Yours

@LazyPyro

I’ll just attach a PDF of my cellar but you can see there are some multiples but not all…okay so like 30 bottles of Orval and some multiples. You’ll also notice that nothing is past-prime. The bottles I need to drink in th next year are ready to drink now and my rot box is currently at 55F, no windows, very dark. So bottles are stored properly.

All of it is being intentionally aged. I rarely open a fresh HF beer except to get the rate and then I put whatever extras I bought in the basement for 1-3 years. I prefer his stouts & wild ales with at least 1 year of age. The saisons get better and better up to 4 years then it’s a slow recession to oxidation taking over.

i don’t really think there needs to be any “cellar education” on this site. we all know what we’re doing by now but I’ll add anything with wild yeast in it that continues to eat oxygen will age pretty damn well. Lambic is living and seasonally will evolve.

I haven’t drank much this month but I drink about what I buy these days. my cellar hasn’t grown in about a year. I now have a pretty reliable stash of 3-5 year beers that I can open when I want. The reason we recently did a cellar inventory is to ensure there aren’t any bottles we’ve forgotten about

Here’s my 12 month running total: http://i.imgur.com/G0yTjWd.jpeg

3 beers per day is above average for sure.

(can’t guarantee that link will stay live forever. I regularly trim things)

and none of these beers are for trade. I’m doing a trade right now…first one in a very long time for some BCS variants.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the detailed reply. Love hearing about other people’s passion for beer, even if it does make me a tad jealous lol.

3 beers a day is what I’ve averaged this year too, in fact it’s probably increasing. I’m healthy but it’s always in the back of my mind… thinking I should cut down. Just wanna get my stash down to a more manageable level because, unlike yours, half of mine is stuff that ideally should be drank fresh.

This is going massively off-topic now and while we may all know (or have a good idea at least) what we’re doing, I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool if Ratebeer had an article database here. Users could write “guides” so to speak of things like cellaring, so that new users who might be new to beer itself could learn from it… would be another reason for new users to stick around.

1 Like

I wish Levifunk was still around. Guys like that who pair science with beer were a wealth of knowledge on this site.

but a DB of beer-guides would be nice. For now I guess people interested should just write them then challenge Joe to make it a feature of the site?

at some point though, you kind of internalize the knowledge and just apply it. I stopped giving a shit about what kind of glass I use years ago. some things are just way overthinking it.

As you can see from my doc, I age 15% beers (stouts), brett beers, Lambic and saisons. oh and mead / ciders. I wish I had more Quads and Barleywine to age but these beers are just not easy to get in huge volumes. and I’ve really not enjoyed aged bigfoot. If I could buy cases of Sucaba, I’d have a lot of those!

I checked 10-99. Might be just under the 99 or a little over. I’d guess 90-110, but constantly evolving.

I’ve included the 20 or so in my locker at work. Secret beer storage facilities were an unexpected benefit of hotdesking.

1 Like

500+
where is the 1000+ option ? wouldve checked that aswell :innocent:

less than 1% since i just started my cellar and i have a couple of regulars past their date cause i don’t want to drink them but eventually will try that artificial sugar/flavorbombs someday

1 Like

I have less than 10 proper bottles maybe 10 more lambiek bottles (most a few years old, almost all 3 Fonteinen). A few random expired rubbish beers that I have already ticked. I dry everything, I have no self-control. Even if I get something rare or special chances are high I will immediately drink it.

2 Likes

Hi there!
I’m into non-alcoholic beers, quite new to the hobby, none bottle has gotten old yet! Try to have some 20-30 in the fridge, so they don’t run out :grin:

Sounds dull.

Quality gags like that dont come along very often on this site, and ive got just one like. Really im wasted on you guys

3 Likes

Your posts really do suggest that! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

perfect comeback :smiley:

1 Like

All joking aside, I’m still between one and two hundred. But they’re getting more and more. Stated to do tastings, which are fun and help managing the quantity of beer at home, but there’s a lot of interesting releases and fear of missing out is a wicked thing.

1 Like

Usually i peak at around 200 every few months and work on it til i have around 20 (not including the 40 or so aging) before building up again through trades, foreign trips etc

I was on 4, but I drank one last night so now it’s 3.

2 Likes

Wow. That’s like 25% of your stash in just one night!!

I am on 15 and plan to get through 25% of my stash too tonight.

Leaving part of a bottle for tomorrow? Drink it all and get your boost on!

1 Like