How do Americans know if they are OK to drive?

As I understand it, for the average person (if there is such a thing) it’s meant to equate to 2 units, not 2 pints. To calculate the number of units, multiply the ABV by the volume in millilitres & divide by a thousand. Two units is therefore one UK pint at approx 3.5%; one 500ml bottle at 4%, or one 330ml can at 6%.

The average person is also meant to metabolise 1 unit per hour, although this will vary depending on what you’ve eaten/exercise etc.

Being smaller than average, I tend to be much more conservative than this when driving. It’s not about getting caught, for me it’s just not worth it if you increase the risk of hurting someone else as a result.

6 Likes

Also in Scotland I believe the blood alcohol thing is lower than the rest of the UK - is it 0.05 rather than 0.08?

Like you say, it depends on a range of factors. If you drank two pints one after the other and straight away got in your car you’d no doubt be over the limit.

But those are drunk over a period of time. Im guessing that for the average time spent in a pub drinking two pints you would be under the limit by the time you got to the wheel. I went to a gig when i was 18, drank 3 pints of cider and was breathalysed outside as one of my brake lights was out. I was under the limit. That was 20 years ago and, of course, im not endorsing it. Merely pointing out during the course of an evening 2 pints will generally mean still being able to drive at the end of the night.

1 Like

In Australia the limit is 0.05 and there is random breath testing, so you can be stopped at any time. When I was working in my first job after Uni in Melbourne I’d been out to see a band and had afew beers and was driving back to the hotel the company had put me up in, and the police had blocked off the whole motorway and were testing ever vehicle. So there was no way to turn off, and had to wait in a line of like 20 cars for my turn, and thought I should be OK but wasnt 100% sure, so had plenty of time to ponder if I failed I’d be losing my job and heading back to Sydney. I passed but it’s made me think twice ever since about drinking and driving and whenever back in Australia l avoid having anything to drink when driving. Even the next day after drinking alot you have to be careful now, as the police there now will target random breath testing on the Saturday & Sunday mornings.

1 Like

When I lived in Australia, I used public transport and never needed a car.

1 Like