How much longer will you "Ratebeer"?

Are you on the new format? I haven’t had any log in problems, but then I only use my android phone for Ratebeer.

Also I used the beer search facility for about 50 beers this week whilst in a bottle shop. It worked well for everyone of them. So for me at least it looks good so far. The forums do seem to be dying though.

1 Like

It apparently depends on IP address. Sometimes I’m on pub wifi, and I still get the old pages that work, but when I’m on cellular data, or other pub wifis, it’s the new page, which doesn’t render at all.

I feel that the forums are livelier now, but it’s social media chit-chat pablum. Yes, guilty as charged.

I tend to find that google search is way more reliable finding beers than RB one so search is not the problem :slight_smile:

I’m in the ‘never ever’ category. Although in truth there are a few things that might sway me away…

1. Death (my own)
  2. Death of RateBeer
  3. Change in my own health or the health of a loved one, especially if the latter results in caring responsibilities
  4. A serious change in RB (such as deletion of places section, or something similarly extreme)
  5. Another platform (new or existing) seriously getting its act together. But at the moment RB is still the best out there for my needs, and I don’t see that changing.
  6. Enough people leave RB to the point where it’s basically a ghost town.
1 Like

Good question. For the last year i´ve been dissapointed with RB: lots of bugs, lots of changes that don´t seem to make any better than before, claims in the forums with no responses, login issues, etc. We are lucky ZX Ventures came in to help with the tech part…

Apart from this, rating beers has become rutine for me. I find most of my descriptions vague and boring. I´m tired of trying crap beers just for the tick. Tired of taking notes instead of enjoying beer. For me it is important having a backlog of what i had, but given that most of the new beers are not in the database makes me think of another platforms (don´t get me wrong, i add every new beer i come accross, but we need more active users doing that, specially in small communities).

So how long i will continue rating? It depends on future improvements in the site, mainly.

P.D: fix the hyphens-brackets bug !!!

1 Like

Today. Seeing as now when I click on a beer, the site logs me out and then won’t let me sign back in. I can cope with various changes but if I can’t even log in to rate a fucking beer, what is the fucking point of even staying on this site anymore.

Fuck it I am leaving today. Bye.

Welcome to the club

See youse on Untappd.:wink:

1 Like

@SarkyNorthener @fatphil The Dutch forum seems to be less busy compared to before the change. Also I definitely notice I miss a lot. I can’t figure out how to keep track of all the new threads without checking everything. I know it’s probably me being old fashioned and stupid when it comes to those new functionalities but I have completely missed several discussions as well as threads about the status of the website etc. I also post less often as a direct result of finding and thus reading less threads I think.

I will untappd one for you now.

1 Like

Seriously or are you April Foolin’? Man, when the big UK peeps start to go, this site won’t be worth shit.

3 Likes

April fooling mate, but I admit I have been close. I guess I am going to hang on for another 6 months and see how it pans out.

2 Likes

I’m with you. In the new forums it’s really hard to keep track of things. It feels very much like facebook by trying to be too smart; you get to see a lot of things, but often I don’t know why, where, or how to find it back. Before you know it you missed stuff or when you navigate away it got lost in limbo. I find these new forums really frustrating to use. Yes, it’s got really neat features, but no, the user experience is not better (for me). It’s like a ratebeer bubble.

1 Like

Good to hear. But I couldn’t blame anyone for giving up at this point. It’s hard going.

I semi-retired from rating. This is to say, I’ll only rate a beer on occasion, if it’s a beer that I’ve been looking for, etc. I don’t rate every last beer that crosses my lips anymore. Haven’t for a long time. My rating started as more or less a notebook or journal for me as I attempted to educate myself in the different styles, malts, hops, and traditions of beer. And now I don’t feel the need to rate each and every one. Also, I make sure to save my ratings to my local hard drive in the event that one day, this site is gone.

As for this site, it’s clearly in decline. And that’s sad really. Some blame the fact that AB In Bev bought a stake in the site. I don’t. Some feel it’s the competition from sites like Untapp’d. Maybe. Kids today like to enter beer ratings on mobile devices, quick entries, no long and drawn out ratings/reviews. But this site lacks today is so many ways.

When I first joined, the local site in my area (NYC) was great, since there were other Ratebeerians hosting tastings, or gatherings at local establishments, etc. That’s long gone. There are reasons for this. But still, it’s a loss which effects this site, for the worse.

In a broader sense, one of the things I would really depend on RB for was its place ratings. They were excellent. Wherever I travelled, I would look up the places to go. Now, in almost every city, the ratings are way out of date, the most recent ratings are three years old, places listed areout of business, etc. It’s just terrible.

And I guess I am fully retired from trading. Time was you could trade with someone for some decent locals, if you sent him the locals you had that he couldn’t get in his hometown. Now it’s just FT: Insanely rare whales ISO: Insanely Rare Whales.

I’m not bailing from Ratebeer just yet. But I’m starting to wonder why I stay.

2 Likes

The login-issue just returned. Getting harder and harder to find the patience to keep rating here. I would like to, but apparently the site doesn’t want me here anymore.

2 Likes

I disagree - the new forums have a lot more functionality and, I believe, are easier to use, e.g., new posts in threads are marked and you can pick up reading where you’ve left off last time. The RB forum interface is used elsewhere online, so other communities must have good experiences with it as well. And I’m actually not sure whether the new Dutch forum is less busy compared to the old one - to me it looks that more is posted here.

4 Likes

The Forum change is one i love. Set anything you want to Tracking and Never lose it as comments get notified to you.
Looking for a post. goto latest and scroll through just like you would in old system, if you know which forum it was in go there, and scroll down.

But the Tracking Watching make it so much easier for me to follow thing i want to know when someone posts, even if its 6 months later

Unread is great as you see anything New totally seperate from all the other threads

Add onto that the likes, Polls, ability to easily quote, tag some one in etc.
defintly 100% behind the new forums

Plus being commonly used software new users may already be familiar with forums, making it easier for them to join in

2 Likes