How's your rating going so far in 2018?

Often true. Say 90%? But some beers have so much flavor that it works - and the sip can validate the perceived aroma. Mouthfeel is another thing tho. A possible example ale that comes to mind is:
BFM Procrastinator 3
Hard to get past a sip. :rofl:

haha, 230 for me on that day! Cheers!

the reality of being at a ā€œticker tableā€ at MBCC is that you get 5cl (officially; actually itā€™s more like 7cl) pours which you share among 6. At 110 beers per session, thatā€™s a total of 15.4 litres you drink among 6 persons. And the reality is that you pour out 1-2 litres per session (at least thatā€™s what our table did), amounting to 2 litres per person per day distributed from 10am to 8pm. Nothing you should do every day, but someting doable without getting too tipsy.

And at a festival like that, I am actually glad I donā€™t get more than that with many beers. Too much pastry stouts that are tasty, but more than one sip and your palate is full of sugary coconut syrup. And too much bad Haze.

The actual challenge is to stay focused to get all the flavour out and type all the words into your phone at this pace, not the alcohol. I canā€™t handle that mode for longer than 2 days in a row.

And then thereā€™s the Finnish guys who seem to finish everything :smiley:

2 Likes

I have 40 thru these 1st 5 months of '18 which is pretty much exactly identical to last yaerā€™s 90 total.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Iā€™ve not yet been to one of these festivals on that kind of massive scale, so yeah, thatā€™s not so bad then but that sort of thing just isnā€™t for me Iā€™m afraid. Not sure I could get into that ticker attitude.

Iā€™m perfectly content with drinking say 10-20 1/3rds in X amount of hours or whatever. Sure, I will miss out on a lot of beers but I donā€™t mind. Plenty of them get bottled/canned and Iā€™ll be able to pick them up at some point in the future. And itā€™s literally impossible to sample every beer that ever exists so itā€™s not a goal of mine. I just enjoy drinking beer. Simple as that.

3 Likes

MBCC is just ridiculous, though. Even the people who donā€™t tick do like 100 beers per day.

The Swiss Untappd crew checked in 170 beers in one session, thatā€™s 4 hours (though they didnā€™t even take pictures, let alone write anything about the beers)ā€¦

I enjoy having little bottle shares with 20-30 bottles divided by 6, with some time to actually discuss the beers. And I enjoy small festivals where I get 30 new beers and where I go spend a day with non-beernerd friends. But ticking is fun too.

2 Likes

I had over a dozen new to me beers at the recent beerfest in Casper that I didnā€™t check in. That happens a lot with me at festivals. Oh well. Not exactly earth shattering news.

318 - might have to take some weekdays off if I want to pick up my numbers. Travels this year arenā€™t going to help much - Gatlinburg is a beer desert (and I doubt Iā€™ll be able to sneak over to Asheville).

I quit rating on the site because of all the shitty changes. None of the relevant features have been fixed in months so although itā€™s said traffic is at an all time high I feel the site is dying. Iā€™ve gone back to excel after 17k. Only rating the Euro Swap beers (and an occasional one I like to enter) as that is one of the rules. So on the site at 120 or so and for the time being that wonā€™t change.

5 cl or less IS NOT A BEER!

3 Likes

Come baaaaack jongen :cry:

1017 beer ratings ā€“ 52 places / not too shabby

When relevant features are back so my user experience is pleasant again I will. Trust me.

2 Likes

396 beers
35 places

I think that I am little bit down with both of those totals, not much but certainly the beers will see me fall short of a 1,000, but with festivals coming thick and fast I will probably get over a 1,000 again by the end of the year Iā€™m sure. Also like others I suspect that my ratings are probably a little higher scoring as I am probably concentrating a little more on quality over quantity. Also I am not a power rating, I really struggle with that I just cannot cope with the pace, so I tend to plod along, usually sharing a can/bottle with Loz and drinking thirds or halves when out.

2 Likes

640 beers, 75 placesā€¦ on a good pace (1551, about my norm). More importantly knocked off 8 more English counties, starting to close the loop on my England map. If I make it to Pigā€™s Ear again this year, Iā€™m hoping I can close it outā€¦

3 Likes

I also expected to slow down quite a bit from my 2015-2017 pace, but it hasnā€™t happened so far (helped in large part by a huge March). 1081 for the year, thus far. June-August will likely be slower, but festivals and beer trips planned for the rest of the year will bring it back up.

1 Like

97 ratings, which is a pace I havenā€™t hit in many many years. Most recent years I was lucky to hit 100 for the full year. Last year I made the goal to break the 100 beer mark, and Iā€™ll hit that this year before June is over.

4 Likes

Have a massive backlog running up to and during MBCC, and starting today we have another 3 days of beer festival in Copenhagen (Ƙlfestival 2018) - going to have to slow down abit after this weekend :smiley:

4 Likes

I seem to be quite consistent with last year, through 5 months:
367 beers (helped greatly by a strong May, I was probably way under pace at the end of April), on pace for 878 (853 last year) So 43% of the way to my last year total, and we are 42% of the way through the year. Also, did 806 in 2016, so I guess thatā€™s my pace.
25 places (49 last year)
I actually got through my beer backlog pretty much completely this week, but I still have 14 places in the backlog.

ratings

March 2017 to present day. Those tall bars there are at 120 ratings per month, then I went on holidays and I couldnā€™t rate on the same tempo, then all those changes started happening here and lost any motivation. April was my highest month since last year August with 32 ratings.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great, from what I can tell there is like 4 active raters in Orlando area and none of us are all that crazy with it so your contributions will be much appreciated coverage wise.